Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2002 9:22:51 PM EDT
So all of you PC dudes, what is the best motherboard / CPU / memory combo out there that IS NOT the latest and greatest.

Looking for something along the lines of a 1.8, either Intel or AMD.

My current computer is just too old and slow (PIII 700 overclocked to 933, Abit BH6, 62+ MB RAM)

No MAC suggestions, MAC is gay, besides, Microsuck owns a good part of them anyways.

Link Posted: 6/27/2002 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#2]
A friend of mine decided to build instead of buy, and I ended up paying about $150 more for a Dell with the same specs as his, and I only spent a few days fixing problems with it, not a few months. So, unless you just want to build, i'd buy.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I just built two machines that run pretty quick... MOBOs:

soyo dragon plus  kt266a chipset amd1700 overclocked it touches the p4 2 gig using sandra benchmarks....

gigabyte ga7dx amd 1 gig does alright for an oldie....[:D]

Link Posted: 6/27/2002 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A friend of mine decided to build instead of buy, and I ended up paying about $150 more for a Dell with the same specs as his, and I only spent a few days fixing problems with it, not a few months. So, unless you just want to build, i'd buy.
View Quote

he just didnt have enough spare parts laying around [;)]....[dream]if I ever win the Texas lotto...I am gonna have the nicest benches in the world for guns and electronics....[/dream]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So all of you PC dudes, what is the best motherboard / CPU / memory combo out there that IS NOT the latest and greatest.

Looking for something along the lines of a 1.8, either Intel or AMD.

My current computer is just too old and slow (PIII 700 overclocked to 933, Abit BH6, 62+ MB RAM)

No MAC suggestions, MAC is gay, besides, Microsuck owns a good part of them anyways.

View Quote

Check out Tom's Hardware Guide for reviews of motherboards with benchmark data that go back awhile. They also have info on graphics cards.

[url]www.tomshardware.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Goats, what board model ASUS and speed AMD CPU do you suggest? And who on line has good price / customer service?

Glock31, I bought one complete system, my first one. After that I now build my PCc. Just like my AR15's.
I have yet to have any problems that take longer than a day to resolve. Months? Your friend should stick to buying complete systems.

Toms Hardware is a great website, however, I want real people experinces.

Quoted:
Look into an ASUS + AMD combo... good price, great performance, and should be problem free. (Just make sure the BIOS is up to date! ASUS has great tools for upgrading your BIOS and I would HOPE it would be up to date when you got it or one rev behind!)
]=P
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 12:30:52 AM EDT
[#7]
An ATI-386/B2 motherboard with a 386dx 20 with 8mb of 80ns 30-pin SIMMS, one 120MB seagate hard drive, and a trident 8900 video card.  
that should just about cover all of your computing needs.  

Hey, he said, not the latest and greatest.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 1:00:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 2:06:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Check out these cool comp cases.
[url]www.colorcases.com[/url]

This is what I'm gonna use.
[img]http://www.colorcases.com/images/Redwindowener.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top