Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#1]
English Knight and the Family in charge of guarding the tower of London and the royal crown jewels.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I am descended from Sir Thomas Wyatt ( the younger )  Probably a few more further back.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I read an article not too long ago that said American immigrants from Europe between 1620-1920 were probably only 5-6 places removed from one of the European royal houses, on average.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#4]
You go back far enough and you find that my ancestors from my dad's side were Scottish, Welsh and Norman royalty. I want to say there was some sort of Scandinavian in there as there was some ancestor who had some jacked up name similar to Erik the Red only his name involved blood and violence. It has been years since I looked it up so I can't recall what that name was.

Don't know much about the ancestors on my moms side. All I know is they were Italian and German.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Noble? No idea.

I do know my family has had at least two people medal in the Winter Olympic games in the past 30 years.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#6]
When I die, on my deathbed, I will receive total Consciousness......which is nice.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Nope.

Although we haven't gone very far back in our research yet. Currently the oldest known direct relative I have was hung for stealing a horse in Palermo in 1750.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Paul and Wilhelm Mauser are my great great uncles if that counts for anything.

You win the thread.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have done geneology back to Scotland.

Related to both William Wallace and Robert the Bruce.

My ancestors killed your ancestors.

Cool.  

Some of mine ended up in Mexico in the 1820s.  That part of Mexico where they lived became Texas in 1836.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Supposedly a wee bit of Irish royal blood for whatever that is worth.  I also have an ancestor with the royal sounding name of Spencer Churchill Arlidge.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#11]
A whole bottle of the stuff.  Got it fresh on my last trip to Europe
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an uncle who is a total queen.

Momma says we're not supposed to talk about it.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My great great grandfather bought an Apache slave woman who became my great great grandmothers . So I am part slave and slave owner .I can pay myself reparations

You are so in trouble

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#14]
1776, 1799, ...
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I imagine odds have it that if you trace far enough back, most anyone can find a connection to some nobility.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#16]
According to family legend, my ancestors in Yorkshire were highwaymen.

Stand and deliver!
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Direct descendant of Robert the Bruce. As far as reproductive success goes, he's the Genghis Kahn of white people.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm the direct descendant of a magical fairy princess.  

And a unicorn.

i thought there was a thing about virginity involved somewhere in there.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

And a unicorn.

Yeah, pretty sure she never saw the unicorn again afterwards.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#20]
My family came to the U.S. in 1918 on my mother's side of the family tree, besides one uncle who faught in the Civil War.

I am related to Kieser Wilhelm II, he left Germany at the end of WWI to the Netherlands. My Great Grandfather went to NY.
If you look at pictures of Kieser Wilhelm II they look excactly like my Grandfather minus the mustach that Wilhelm sported.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And a unicorn.

absentee fathers.

you're doing well, considering.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

And a unicorn.

absentee fathers.

Well, it was, like, a long time ago in a faraway land and all that...
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I have traced my family back through the direct male line to a baron who invaded England in 1066 with the Normans and ended up with a castle near the scottish border (that was later destroyed by Robert the Bruce).

I am also distantly related to the current Marquess of Bath, who is a complete nutjob who lives with 70 "wifelets".
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I am a direct descendent of The Plantagenet line of the English Monarchy.  Robert the devil, Richard III etc.  I am also a direct descendent of Lady Godiva.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Some soggy hoe in a lake gave me a sword once.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I am also a direct descendent of Lady Godiva.

You spelled 'Gaga' wrong.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And a unicorn.

absentee fathers.

Well, it was, like, a long time ago in a faraway land and all that...

time heals all wounds.

from the picture, you favor your mom, anyway.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#28]
King John (the worst) on my mothers side.  My grandparents have everything tracked back a loooooooong time.  Its a family hobby really.  As for my dad, his family did something royal wise in castille way back when, but I have no family history from them.  Hell, he doesn't even talk about them.  *shrug*

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#29]
King Christian 4th, Denmark.

That and five bucks will get you a cup of coffee.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm a direct descendant of Olaf the Black King.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Who here, to their best knowledge, descends from nobility or monarchy? Examples: English knights, German landsknechter, Polish szlachta, Swedish frälse, Turkish sipahi, Japanese samurai...etc.
I admit family background of early modern Swedish military nobility (frälse) plus bastard lineage from one Swedish king, whose name shall go unmentioned...

Commoners stay out!

Actually I do, documented... For all the good it does me..
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#32]
My Mothers side of the family tree included many with the surname Adolphus.  Not sure if there's really any relation to Gustavus the king of Sweden, but my Mom said that the family claimed it, and they were from Sweden.  

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass. But that doesn't exactly make it unique in that regard.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted: German landsknechter,

Landsknechts were mercenaries. Very few nobles took that job.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

snip

time heals all wounds.

from the picture, you favor your mom, anyway.

Ha!  I challenge you to ride in a Mardi Gras parade for the first time and look as good!

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My family came to the U.S. in 1918 on my mother's side of the family tree, besides one uncle who faught in the Civil War.

I am related to Kieser Wilhelm II, he left Germany at the end of WWI to the Netherlands. My Great Grandfather went to NY.
If you look at pictures of Kieser Wilhelm II they look excactly like my Grandfather minus the mustach that Wilhelm sported.

Look at his wee little arm. It's interdasting!

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have done geneology back to Scotland.

Related to both William Wallace and Robert the Bruce.

My ancestors killed your ancestors.

Cool.  

Some of mine ended up in Mexico in the 1820s.  That part of Mexico where they lived became Texas in 1836.

The funny thing is, going by surnames, I always knew we had some English blood, but I thought we were mostly Scotts-Irish.  Instead, turns out I'm almost entirely English, with a little bit of German (about 1/4) on my dad's side.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#37]
An uncle of mine was once the Chancellor of Germany.  Hitler had him shot.  There used to be a 'von" on the front of our name too.

That and 4 bucks will get me a cup of coffee.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quite the opposite. Most noblemen in 15th-16th century Germany were impoverished knights, who were more or less forced to take up the mercenary profession, because the practice of rigid primogeniture deprived them of access to agnatic inheritance. By the time commoners made up the majority of cavalry (in the late 16th century) they were no longer called landsknechter but reiters.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Supposedly my great-great granfather's brother was the Exchequer of the treasury for the Kaiser of Germany in the late 1800's.  No proof, only family history.  

On my mom's side a distant ancestor was a French Huegenot who came to America.  He was a slave owner and a "man of letters".  There were a couple of famous semi-noble soldiers with the same last name.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite the opposite. Most noblemen in 15th-16th century Germany were impoverished knights, who were more or less forced to take up the mercenary profession, because the practice of rigid primogeniture deprived them from access to agnatic inheritance. By the time commoners made up the majority of cavalry (in the late 16th century) they were no longer called landsknechter but reiters.

Reiters were a form of light cavalry armed with firearms, and had nothing to do with the landsknechte, who were mostly pikemen, and who were, yes, mostly commoners.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I am a direct descendant of King Kalaniʻōpuʻu.  You may know him as the dude who ate Captain Cook.  I am only 1/32nd hawaiian now, but a prince none the less.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#43]
According to my uncle.

Charles the Hammer(Marteau)
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#44]
I always thought my family was related to Henry VIII but my Grandfather confirmed we were just in charge of his horses, lol.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite the opposite. Most noblemen in 15th-16th century Germany were impoverished knights, who were more or less forced to take up the mercenary profession, because the practice of rigid primogeniture deprived them from access to agnatic inheritance. By the time commoners made up the majority of cavalry (in the late 16th century) they were no longer called landsknechter but reiters.

Reiters were a form of light cavalry armed with firearms, and had nothing to do with the landsknechte, who were mostly pikemen, and who were, yes, mostly commoners.

Yes. Of course, by that time the landsknechter no longer existed. The early modern military revolution had deprived the nobility of their military role, and they were forced to seek recognition and status as service nobility, ie. as administrators and government officials.
Edit: BTW the landsknechter were mostly cavalry not pikemen. Primary sources often confuse 16th century Swiss mercenaries with German landsknechter, because the mercenary armies contained both. The word knechter implies cavalry, because only cavalry service entailed noble status.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Things to remember:

Everyone on Arfcom owns their house (No) and cars outright. (Yes)
Everyone makes $100,000+ a year. (No; 30-40k)
Everyone has an IQ of over 140. (132)
Everyone can shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with a Mosin-Nagant - standing.  (Never tried, do not own one.  My 06 will, however)

I guess I need to add: They are all descended from royalty. (no idea for sure, maybe, maybe they were mistaken.  I never really cared)  

Guess I need to pick up my game.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And had those awesome swords ;) You always forget the swords!
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I am descended from Sir Lawrence de Routh, a contemporary of William the Conqueror and ancestor of William Penn of Pennsylvania fame.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Things to remember:

Everyone on Arfcom owns their house [no] and cars outright. [yes]
Everyone makes $100,000+ a year. [yes]
Everyone has an IQ of over 140. [yes]
Everyone can shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with a Mosin-Nagant - standing. [benched]

I guess I need to add: They are all descended from royalty.[yes]

I guess I'm not doing too bad.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#50]
I can wear a tuxedo, tilt my head so my nose points upward, then shit in my breeches and it doesn't stink! (At least to ME, you down-wind low-life bastards!)
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top