Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2002 1:28:58 PM EDT
[url]http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20020622/8041018.asp[/url]
Deputy suspended over illicit gun

An Orleans County (New York) sheriff's deputy was suspended from her job after she was accused of having an unregistered weapon, authorities said Friday.
Amy Christ, 31, was charged by State Police with a misdemeanor count of criminal possession of a weapon. A member of the Sheriff's Department since 1997, she was suspended with pay.
According to authorities, Christ had filed a domestic violence complaint against her husband, after which both were ordered to surrender all the weapons in their home. It turned out one of the weapons - which reportedly belongs to Christ's brother - never had been registered.
Christ was released on an appearance ticket returnable July 13 in Albion Village Court.
View Quote

I actually hope is there is alot more to this story than has been said. Otherwise, why should they deny the victim any real means of protection? Oooops, I just checked my driver's license, we're in New York!!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 1:46:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't think this is a NY only deal-anyone with an order of protection loses the right to have guns, I THINK.
View Quote

Really? Both the defendant and the protected person(s) must surrender their firearms? What about other members of the household not mentioned in an order of protection?  
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Well you can thank Mr. Lautenberg .

[url]http://www.saneguns.org/sources/historical/lautenberg.html[/url]

"Oooops, I just checked my driver's license, we're in New York!!! "

I intend to fix that myself within a year!

Link Posted: 6/27/2002 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#5]
The should call them an "order of unprotection"
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Aimless,

I thought there might be more to this story.

Quoted:
...she turns in an unregistered handgun (duh) and gets arrested for it...
View Quote

And I agree, she doesn't sound like the brightest badge in that department.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Judges routinely issue temporary orders of protection to all parties in domestic disputes.  Once the order is issued under federal law you can no longer legally possess a firearm.  There were many police officers across the nation that lost their jobs when old civil orders of protection showed up many years later.

Police officers in NY are required to register all their personally owned and department issued firearms with the NYSP.  Police officers who have orders of protection where there has been no finding of fact may continue to work depending on the agency personnel policy.  They are issued a firearm while on duty and must turn it in at the end of their tour.

It appears she was charged under NYS law for possession of an unregistered handgun.

Orders of protection only apply to the respondent(s) or defendant(s) and family members that are named in the order of the court.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Judges routinely issue temporary orders of protection to all parties in domestic disputes.  Once the order is issued under federal law you can no longer legally possess a firearm.
View Quote

Soooo....the battered spouse, who also happens to have a nice collection of Colt SAA's, Winchester Lever guns, a few nice Pre Ban AR's, etc. will have to make a conscious decision to:

(a) deal with the court system to end the abuse, losing their valuable property, some of which may be family heirlooms, to the local Sheriff's property room.
--or--
(b) not report the abuse.

Which way would you go?
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry if I wasn't clear.  Family court Judges routinely order all "family" member respondents to turn over their firearms to the custody of the Sheriff.

I disagree with regards to the husband filing for a TOP.  Why not?  A defendant/respondent should use all legal "weapons" available to him.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Police officers in NY are required to register all their personally owned and department issued firearms with the NYSP.  
View Quote

RKBar15, do you have a source for this?  I thought all persons with status of police officer were automatically exempt from a.265 weapons offenses and could possess guns without any paperwork.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I guess I meant that a guy who beats his wife might also file a phony baloney family offense petition. I agree that it's often wise to file for an OOP if you have grounds and the other side has already done so/is going to/might
View Quote

Unfortunately the criminal justice system relies on the honesty and good intentions of all parties.  In most cases if you looking for "justice" you've come to the wrong place.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[RKBar15, do you have a source for this?  I thought all persons with status of police officer were automatically exempt from a.265 weapons offenses and could possess guns without any paperwork.
View Quote

Every Police Agency in NY has it's own procedures that it's members must follow when purchasing firearms on their shield. All police department firearms owned by the agency or privately are required to be registered with the NYSP. Individual officers are required to register their personal firearms on "C" forms which are subsequently submitted by their agency to the NYSP.

from The NYSP FAQ:

[url]http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/Firearms/Firearmsindex.html[/url]

"Keep track of handguns personally owned and possessed by law enforcement personnel."

"Track inventory of weapons (machineguns, handguns, short-barreled rifles or shotguns) that are subject to regulations and independently stored by law enforcement agencies."
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I can't believe those people are such heathens!  I mean, they gave Christ a ticket!!  Man, are they gonna PAY for that!!

[devil]
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 4:03:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Interesting.  But is it really a crime for a police officer to have an unregistered weapon or merely an administrative violation?  I guess from the story it's a crime.

Gun laws in New York stink.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#18]
AFAIK it is a crime in NY. A PO has ten days to register a handgun if his department allows it. He is also subject to both criminal prosecution and departmental disciplinary action for the same offense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top