Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 6/26/2002 1:13:13 PM EDT
For those of you using TPF, what are some basic settings for this? I'm having a hard time setting the rules and not causing conneciton problems. Thanks in advance. Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:51:42 PM EDT
for about a week or so you'll experince this as you set up permissions and denials... granted it's a bit frustrating at first, but later on you'll only get promts every now and then.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:57:56 PM EDT
I don't get many prompts as it is now, and it passes most test but not all. I just wanted to see if I had things right. I can't find much about the settings on the net. Thanks Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:08:26 PM EDT
did you try testing your 'shields' at: [url=http://www.grc.com]GRC.COM[/url] You should also find lots of information that will HELP you set it up.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 2:19:58 AM EDT
Don't do it. I tried TPF a year or two ago, and it thoroughly screwed up my computer.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 2:46:28 AM EDT
I've been using it on my computer for awhile and have had no problems. The version 3 is out and is no longer free. I just downloaded another free firewall and installed it on my other computer. It has been out a couple of days now. It is Sygate Personal Firewall ver. 5. It seems easier to set up (maybe) and it has a backtrace function to see who is trying to access your computer. I checked it out at Shields Up and it was as effective as Tiny Personal Firewall. I downloaded it at CNET and you might want to try it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 4:33:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 71-Hour_Achmed: Don't do it. I tried TPF a year or two ago, and it thoroughly screwed up my computer.
View Quote
Yep. Even to the point where I had to unplug my computer to shut down. I finally gave up and uninstalled about a week ago. I was using the free version downloaded from twocows.com
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 4:08:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By wiseweasel02: I've been using it on my computer for awhile and have had no problems. The version 3 is out and is no longer free. I just downloaded another free firewall and installed it on my other computer. It has been out a couple of days now. It is Sygate Personal Firewall ver. 5. It seems easier to set up (maybe) and it has a backtrace function to see who is trying to access your computer. I checked it out at Shields Up and it was as effective as Tiny Personal Firewall. I downloaded it at CNET and you might want to try it.
View Quote
I installed Sygate on my second computer today...Pentium 4 1.6 G running Windows XP (512RAM) and the thing caused problems. Tiny Personal Firewall runs perfect though. First computer is a 500 Mhz AMD K-7 with XP (256MB RAM) and it runs Sygate fine.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 4:19:55 PM EDT
TPF, for whatever eason, not only will not run on my computer, it literally tears it up! I had to reformat my HD a few months ago due to it. After reformatting, and getting my cable connection back up(NO SMALL TASK), I tried to reinstall it, same thing. Literally killed my OS. I am using the free ZoneAlert and am very happy with it, FWIW.
Top Top