Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2002 7:54:41 AM EDT
First, I want to make it clear that my intent last night was not to point out a mistake made by Lauer and crucify them or spread ill will.  I was, and still am, very excited about the refinish they did on my rifle and just wanted to share.  As I said in the original post, I had not had a chance to contact them and would not judge them until I did.  I was confident that they would be stand-up and make it right.

Well, [b]they did.[/b]

I am shipping it back to them overnight.  They will fix it and send it back to me, overnight, and they want to reimburse me for my shipping expense to return it to them.  (Which I declined, it was an honest mistake which they owned up to and eagerly want to make it right.  That's all I want.)

They were extremely concerned and apologetic, even the shipping manager who had absolutely nothing to do with this.

[b]Lauer Custom Weaponry is a good company and I will most definitely be engaging their services again in the near future.[/b]

Now, for those that didn't get to see, here's the beautiful job they did:

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/FMJunkie%2FIM000318%2Ejpg[/img]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/FMJunkie%2FIM000319%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear that all is well.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:00:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the update on the LCW threads. But this is only HALF of the problem/solution. We still need to hear from DVD so the jury is still partly out on this one.

So does this mean that all the LCW threads will be unlocked now or????
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:01:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:02:30 AM EDT
[#4]
B4eautiful work! Where's your FA?
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
B4eautiful work! Where's your FA?
View Quote

I keep getting that question...  Its an Armalite AR10, they do not have a forward assist.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm guessing, the "cammo material" looks like a coating. If "moving parts" were coated it would change the "tolerances" enough to effect the function of those parts.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Humph! AR10. That's like 5 less than an AR15! Loser!

LOL! Great looking rifle. You know, you could mail it to me and let me shoot it a little. Of course you'd have to send ammo too.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmph, I missed the original thread and I was just wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me what was wrong originally.  If not, I understand.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:35:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
FMJunkie-that's a sharp paint job. Did you get it done in the winter camo 'cause it looks cool or did you get it done for some kind of hunting?

Geez you even volunteered to pay the shipping, you are a good guy. I woulda scammed a t-shirt off 'em-they are pretty cool looking [;)]

View Quote

Actually, both.  I recently secured the ability to make regular hunting trips to Colorado!  This coming winter is going to be an Elk hunt!  (with a different rifle, of course)
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Eswanson, painting internals doesn't usually change the tolerances(there are certain parts on certain firearms you don't refinish, however).  They are left black for cosmetic looks.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#16]
You are correct Aimless.  I know a lot elk huters that use 30-06 and even .308's.  Must be a West Coast thing[;)].
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, both.  I recently secured the ability to make regular hunting trips to Colorado!  This coming winter is going to be an Elk hunt!  (with a different rifle, of course)
View Quote
Lucky bastard! Y'know I did some work a few years ago for a guy who did some guiding out west and he sounded like some of the people who live out there use lighter rounds than you would think for Elk-I don't know if 308 was one of them, but I think he said he had used 30-06 (maybe). Still I think I'd still want a long magnum round.
View Quote

Yeah, the people who will be hosting me use .308 for Elk.  Me, I am going to go first time out with a .338 Rem Ultra Mag.  I guess I am just compensating for something...[;D]

I was thinking of the AR10 as more of a deer gun but, I will certainly take a crack at the Elk with it once I gain more confidence by seeing them take one down with a .308.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I recenly read a article in a hunting magazine concerning this subject.  It is more of a matter of placing a precise shot that will take the animal down.  When huting an animal as big as an elk though, you either use a big gun or make sure your shots are from close range so that when the bullet is losing trajectory you don't have to worry about not getting "deep peneration" [:D].
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Oh, I wanted to ask you, does the paint job seem real durable?
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I recenly read a article in a hunting magazine concerning this subject.  It is more of a matter of placing a precise shot that will take the animal down.  When huting an animal as big as an elk though, you either use a big gun or make sure your shots are from close range so that when the bullet is losing trajectory you don't have to worry about not getting "deep peneration" [:D].
View Quote

I'm not flaming you, CC, but even a half-assed hunter should be able to get within 200 yards of an elk here in Colorado. Yes, shot placement is critical for a clean kill, and a clean kill makes for meat that doesn't taste like shit.  But, a big gun doesn't make up for piss-poor marksmanship.

At 200 yards (or less), there is no reason that a .30-06 or .308 placed in the vitals can't bring down a big elk quickly.  Too many people believe that a magnum round will make up for their lack of marksmanship.  This is a double-edged sword since they won't spend the necessary time at the range working on their skills with a big magnum because of the recoil of these puppies.  Therefore, these guys hope that a big hole anywhere on an elk equals meat on the table.

A few seasons ago, I was with a group of hunters and one had gutshot a cow elk with a .338 mag.  The SOB looked for the elk for all of 5 minutes and then announced that he would "just have to go after another one."  I "encouraged" [}:D] him to keep looking, but we never did find it.  You wanna see a Yankee get mad?  I had a few things to say to that guy at camp that night.

That being said, I don't have a problem with folks who prefer magnum rounds.  Just make sure you can actually shoot the damn thing before you hunt with it.

Sorry for going off-topic, FMJunkie.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey man, I'm with you on that.  I hate waching people cripple animals or simply "sport hunt."  I personally plan on using a .308 for my first elk.  And I was speaking of what appears to be  "West Coast preference."  Elk aren't the quitest animals so they aren't incredibly difficult to find but they aren't the dumbest either.  There are just some places in the west where you can't get so close to that big trophy bull everyone wants.  If you plan on taking far shots you still must be capable of precision.  Just that the farther you plan on shooting from the bigger your round may need to be.  Hope I've clarified it for you.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#22]
That thing looks sexy BTW Aimless [;)].
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The muzzle brake is on wrong, it's off 90 degrees-look where the holes are.
View Quote

So did Lauer actually take the brake off for the refinishing ???
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hey man, I'm with you on that.  I hate waching people cripple animals or simply "sport hunt."  I personally plan on using a .308 for my first elk.  And I was speaking of what appears to be  "West Coast preference."  Elk aren't the quitest animals so they aren't incredibly difficult to find but they aren't the dumbest either.  There are just some places in the west where you can't get so close to that big trophy bull everyone wants.  If you plan on taking far shots you still must be capable of precision.  Just that the farther you plan on shooting from the bigger your round may need to be.  Hope I've clarified it for you.
View Quote

I understand your point, CC.  I think most hunters overestimate the distance that they'll be shooting.  In one of the gun rags a couple months ago, a writer pointed out that most hunters who think their shot was 300 or 400 yards away are mistaken.  Most shots are well within 250 yards.  Easily within the capabilities of the .30-06 or .308 (in practiced hands).

My point is that you don't need a .458 Boomensmacker magnum to hunt elk (or pretty much most N. American game).  Even going after "trophy" animals, the stalk is what separates the men from the boys.  If you've got to have a magnum to take that fictitious 400 yard shot, well, you aren't much of a hunter.  And if the shot really is 400 yards, you're probably going to cripple a magnificent animal, unless you shoot your big gun more than  3 or 4 rounds a year to "sight it in".

Sorry, CC, but I've seen enough of this crap to know what I'm talking about.

Again FMJunkie, sorry for going off-topic.

Link Posted: 6/26/2002 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Yankee, I agree with you 100%.

I make it my responsibility to be completely proficient with every firearm I own.  Point well taken about the magnum rounds.  Let me just tell you that a .338 Ultra Mag kicks like freight train on crack with a bad attitude!  

It is specifically because of this that I forced myself to shoot it until I no longer flinched and was able to get consistent shot groups of under 1.5" at 100 yds and under 3" at 200 yds.  (that's the longest range I got)

Now, before I start hearing about MOA and all that, it is not easy with this big of a round...

Anyway, I am without a doubt a novice/beginning hunter.  I've fired more rounds downrange than most infantry divisions but, that's paper.  Nothing scares me more than shooting and losing an animal.  Especially something as big as an Elk.  I guess that is why I am going with the 'big gun' for my first hunt.

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this and any advice you might have.  (since I am coming to your turf!)
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yankee, I agree with you 100%.

I make it my responsibility to be completely proficient with every firearm I own.  Point well taken about the magnum rounds.  Let me just tell you that a .338 Ultra Mag kicks like freight train on crack with a bad attitude!  

It is specifically because of this that I forced myself to shoot it until I no longer flinched and was able to get consistent shot groups of under 1.5" at 100 yds and under 3" at 200 yds.  (that's the longest range I got)

Now, before I start hearing about MOA and all that, it is not easy with this big of a round...

Anyway, I am without a doubt a novice/beginning hunter.  I've fired more rounds downrange than most infantry divisions but, that's paper.  Nothing scares me more than shooting and losing an animal.  Especially something as big as an Elk.  I guess that is why I am going with the 'big gun' for my first hunt.

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this and any advice you might have.  (since I am coming to your turf!)
View Quote

FMJunkie,

It sounds like you're preparing well for your hunt.  As I said earlier, my gripe isn't with people who choose to use a magnum round, just with those who think a bigger round makes up for a lack of marksmanship.  Since you've actually been shooting your rifle (unlike the Big Boom Bubbas), you should have no problems.

Get to know where your rifle shoots at various distances (you seem to be doing this already), and get a rangefinder for the hunt.  You'd be surprised at how difficult it is to accurately judge distances, particularly when "buck fever" sets in. [:)]

Other than that, just have a good time.  And don't be afraid to pass up a shot if it doesn't feel right.  We've got plenty of elk.  [;)]

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions or concerns about hunting here.

Link Posted: 6/27/2002 2:56:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Great! I'm glad they have decided to fix it for you. Now, what was wrong with it again?
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thanks for the update on the LCW threads. But this is only HALF of the problem/solution. We still need to hear from DVD so the jury is still partly out on this one.

So does this mean that all the LCW threads will be unlocked now or????
View Quote

The jury is not out!  LCW is a stand up operation.  They admitted to their mistakes and are making certain restitutions.  If anything comes about this incident, it will be in everybody's favor.  I would not hestiate to do future business with LCW.

223REM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top