Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2001 1:41:53 AM EDT
I have a Benelli Nova with a 26 inch barrel and three choke tubes, full, modified, and improved cylinder. The is a 3 gun match coming up in my area and I have to shoot slugs. I was wondering can I put slugs thru this barrel with the improved cylinder choke in place and not damage the bore. I am thinkin about using Federals low recoil tactical slugs for this chore. Just looking for some info.

Six
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 2:59:25 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can, order the cyl choke tube from benelli.  That way you will stress that one tube and not your imp cyl tube. Otherwise use imp cyl and you will be fine for now.  You had better practice, sounds like a field gun with a vent rib.  If you get a center bead put on it at least you would have two points and a little more precision.  Look into a slug barrel with rifle sites for future matches.
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 3:30:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Question--why would you guys think that a slug , say a hollow base Winchester,would strees the choke any more than a solid mass of 000 buck?? Think about it!
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Shotgun barrels which are backbored are not recommended for slug use. I'm not sure if it will damage the barrel. A normal, non-backbored bird barrel with a IC choke tube will handle slugs just fine. Now accuracy with a bead site, on the other hand...

Check the manual or give BenelliUSA a call if you aren't certain.
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been shooting slugs through my Benelli M1 with IC choke for 2 yrs with do detrimental effect on the barrel other then leading. I recently started handloading with the Lyman slug and Winchester wads. This solved the leading problem and also made the M1 reliable with a slug close to tactical power factor.
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#5]
My last post should have said "no" detrimental effect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top