Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
4/25/2017 7:42:44 PM
Posted: 6/25/2002 8:48:06 PM EDT
All this talk about Texas got me thinking about my stay there 5 years ago. During that time, I received a speeding ticket from a Texas DPS officer while on my way from Austin to Temple. As I was going to be eventually leaving the state, I never paid it, figuring it would never catch up to me, which it hasn't yet. So what's the penalty for not paying a traffic citation in Texas? Is there any sort of time limit after which they just don't care?
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:51:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:53:03 PM EDT
In Texas, ELECTRIC CHAIR!!!!! Just kidding Keving67
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:53:24 PM EDT
Scofflaw !!! [;)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:54:36 PM EDT
I was thinking the same thing about a citation I received while in Utah. Being that I take responsibility for my actions [:D], I called the court in SLC and found out how to pay it by mail. I may actually want to go back there some time in the future and I'd hate for a speeding ticket I got years earlier to ruin my trip. USPC40 [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img] [url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url] [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:02:11 PM EDT
I used to be a computer consultant for the AZ DMV. They would suspend a license and issue an arrest warrant if you did not pay a moving violation fine. I was amazed at the amount of european, other foreign licenses and out of state licenses they suspended every month, hundreds of them. If you ever get stopped in AZ in the future and you have a suspended license it is a one way ticket to jail!
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:08:00 PM EDT
you have to be inside the State of Texas borders at least 7 years before it will be voided. if you dont pay, they have a warrent on you and it is good untill you stay at least 7 yrs without getting caught inside the state. that is the limitations. once you leave the state then if you come back, and get stoped you will go to jail for outstanding warrent.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:08:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:28:30 PM EDT
You have a warrant for your arrest. You also have an additional warrant on a charge of Failure to Appear. The court issued this after you did not show up for the court date noted on the citation. Expect a combined fine somewhere in the 500$ range. Here's the kicker. There is this deal called the "Interstate Compact" It an understanding that different areas of the country recognize driver and vehicle license standards from across the nation. One part of it affects you however. A ticket in one state unpaid, is reported to your home state. Your state then suspends your driver's license. Now comes the fun part. They don't have to tell you. The only time you find out is when you're stopped again, or go to renew. You'll still be out the original fines, spend a night in jail, gain an arrest record, and pay your home state a stipend to process all this for the State of Texas. I suggest calling the magistrate listed on the ticket and work out a payment schedule.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:48:32 PM EDT
The AZ approach sounds pretty effective, I wonder why we don't do that in Texas?
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 12:25:36 AM EDT
Unpaid tickets in TX by out-of-staters results in them being branded racists.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:23:22 AM EDT
A friend of mine that had gone to college in Nebraska got a ticket when he was visiting here. The DPS trooper told him that if he didn't pay a warrant for his arrest would be issued in Nebraska. If you had got pulled over by a city cop then you would probably be ok, but the DPS doesn't mess around. I got a ticket in Utah a few years ago while I was passing through and I didn't pay it either. It was just a city cop and I haven't heard a thing since. Free and clear record, I just can't go back to Utah [:)]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:47:52 AM EDT
you'd be under arrest if you got pulled over, kind of sucks and it's a really stupid reason to go to jail.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:52:01 AM EDT
I've only seen DPS list their warrants on someone's Texas DL record. When you run their Texas DL at the end it has a section that shows if they have outstanding DPS warrants. DPS doesn't list their warrants on NCIC/TCIC. I have no clue what happens to out of state residents who don't pay the tickets.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:03:22 AM EDT
In some S. Texas counties, they require you to post a CASH bond on the spot. Mr. DPS Trooper:'I'll follow you to the Stop-N-Go/7-11 and you can buy a money order there." "Or you can 'wait with us' until someone can send you the money" Especially popular on the spring break routes to the coast.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:17:25 AM EDT
Pay it...its better than worrying about a 4 am wake up from your local "friendlys"!
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:47:42 AM EDT
Johninaustin pretty much summed it up-there should be warrants active for you in Texas and your other state DL should have been suspended. Want to know the real kicker? Technically, you are a "fugitive from justice" under the federal GCA because you have active warrants and crossed state lines to avoid arrest. You cannot legally possess firearms or ammunition. I haven't heard of any ATF prosecutions for traffic scofflaws, but why take any chances? I'd get this taken care of pretty quick.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 4:33:42 AM EDT
I'm dyin'.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 4:48:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Waverunner: you'd be under arrest if you got pulled over, kind of sucks and it's a really stupid reason to go to jail.
View Quote
Naah!...Not in Texas. He will be joining a chain gang. [img]http://www.irvingpictures.com/multimedia/images/shackledsm.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 4:55:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AR_Rifle:
Originally Posted By Waverunner: you'd be under arrest if you got pulled over, kind of sucks and it's a really stupid reason to go to jail.
View Quote
Naah!...Not in Texas. He will be joining a chain gang.
View Quote
In Texas...maybe. But that's an Alabama patch on his shoulder. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:03:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Arock:
Originally Posted By AR_Rifle:
View Quote
Naah!...Not in Texas. He will be joining a chain gang.
View Quote
In Texas...maybe. But that's an Alabama patch on his shoulder. [:D]
View Quote
Very good eyes guy!...I can't find a pic from Texas....But he got the idea.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:35:38 AM EDT
You should contact Texas DMV to see if your Texas privledges are suspended. It is possible for the ticket to eventually be quashed by the court, but your privledges will be suspended until you pay the re-enstatement fees. In AZ, the fine for driving suspended is usually around 550 dollars, and a misdemeanor record, plus re-enstatement fees with MVD(completely seperate). It is possible that you may even be suspended in your current state, and you don't even know it; Yet. Avoid a possible trip to jail, and get it all taken care of. Jay [img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:45:28 AM EDT
Not sure how it works in Texas, but I once got a ticket down in Panama City Beach while on vacation. I decided not to pay it and headed back to my home state of Georgia. About four months later, I received a notice from the GA DMV notifying me that my license would be suspended unless I settled my fine with Florida.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:49:06 AM EDT
...Don't mess with Texas...[:D]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:24:29 AM EDT
You're not kidding about Arizona. Tried the same thing with a ticket I received on my way home from texas. They suspended my license until I paid the ticket along with a small reinstatement fee. No big deal. I guess that ticket in texas must have been put in the wrong shoebox. I've had no problems renewing my driver's license, concealed weapon permit, hunting and fishing license, never a problem with a cop checking my ID, passed NICS, etc. Oh well, maybe I'll look into taking care of that ticket one of these days. If it's $500 though, forget it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:25:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DPeacher: ...Don't mess with Texas...[:D]
View Quote
LMFAO!! I was going to post that until I got to the bottom! Seriously, don't screw around. Take care of it now, or you'll have a very unpleasant evening when you are stopped for the "broken tail-light". I doubt if they'll come looking for you, but sooner or later, you'll want to be in Texas again, and do you want that hanging over your head?
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:28:51 AM EDT
Well, we will have to guess that Greg Ward is not your real name, or you wouldn't have it in your profile while making such a post. If the knock at your door is a guy in a cowboy hat, well, some of us may come visit you as soon as your bunghole heals.....
Top Top