Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2002 7:49:50 PM EDT
Damn, it is hard, but I am going to stick with it.  Using the patch, but the withdrawal is still pretty strong.

Before some clown says it is all psychological, I will say 'go to hell' beforehand.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Way to go. You can do it. 4 years in Nov. for me.
Replace the nicotine and smoke with the fumes from racing fuel and tire smoke![:D]
View Quote
And don't forget the smoke and the smell of expended ammo.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats,
      One less person stinking up every place they go.  Stick with it and you will be rewarded in money and health.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm looking to quit pretty soon myself. I need to ditch the beer habit first.

Ediited to say: LarryG, good luck in your quest, and I'm a [img]http://www.ar15.com/members/albums/toaster%2Ftool%2Egif[/img] for screwing up a simple post edit!!

Link Posted: 6/25/2002 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Congrats,
      One less person stinking up every place they go.  Stick with it and you will be rewarded in money and health.

Bill3508
View Quote
Don't start with the criticizm.  I still feel for and understand the crap smokers put up with.  I have been asked by a non-smoker who took first available and wound up in the smoking section to put it out.  He was told by about 10 people to go f**k himself.  So, don't go there.

I appreciate any encouragement, but can do without the negatives, especially as wound up as I am right now.  This withdrawal sucks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm still weak and dying a slow death from smoking cigarettes.  I salute you.

Yesterday I went to the range on my split shift.
I shot the 700 PSS/.308 and came back to the base to go drive the second half.
I was standing at the table in the bullpen talking about the range session with some other Bus Driving Gun Enthusiasts when I slowly swiped my middle finger under my nose, sniffing in the aroma, and said, "Ahhhh, Gunpowder!"

I immediately thought of how much more shooting I could do if I was burning up gunpowder instead of tobacco.
Good thing I don't drink! [;D]

Keep at it, Amigo.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And don't forget the smoke and the smell of expended ammo.
View Quote

Wolf ammo... in an unventilated range.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I quit 9 years ago using the patch. It is worth it. Just think, in 10 years you will have most likely been spared the lung cancer scare.

It took me 2 years to lose the random craves, and 3 years before I could go into a bar, get snookered, and not want a cigarette.

They still smell good to me when I am about 20 -50 feet downwind and someone lights up. It smells good but I know it is something I don't want to do.

Best of luck! It is easy to get into, and hell to get out of.

Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm trying to kick too. The "gum" isn't working at all for me so tomorrow I'm getting the patch.

Soon, there will be more ammo money in my pocket!
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Larry, it gets easier!!! Stay with it.  I quit on Friday. I was upto 1.5-2 pks a day.  I started a thread the other day.  People were great. So much good info... here is a link.
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=127063&page=1[/url] If I can do it so can you.  

Don't give in.  Keep moving and keep your mind off it as much as possible. The first 84 hrs are the worst but you will do it.  Be strong.   Man, I am rooting for you!  
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:20:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Larry,
   Didn't mean to criticize you.  I lived next to a smoker in an apartment for 5 years and had to run air filters all the time just to stay there as it came through the walls.  I've been around it enough to criticize it though.  I'm happy your trying to quit and wish you all the luck with it.
BIll3508
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It is easy to get into, and hell to get out of.

View Quote
No truer words were even spoken.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#14]
2 years and 11 days smoke free for me. It's still hard sometimes...
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Larry, it gets easier!!! Stay with it.  I quit on Friday. I was upto 1.5-2 pks a day.  I started a thread the other day.  People were great. So much good info... here is a link.
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=127063&page=1[/url] If I can do it so can you.  

Don't give in.  Keep moving and keep your mind off it as much as possible. The first 84 hrs are the worst but you will do it.  Be strong.   Man, I am rooting for you!  
View Quote

Right on, Defcon.  I was the same way for years.  
I don't believe in a lot of the psych-ology crap, but I did have a former boss who went through AA and I took something from that which helped see me through my habit.

"You must admit to yourself that you are addicted to cigarettes and can never have even just one, EVER AGAIN."  

It sounds touchy feely, but it worked for me.  4+ years and no interest in touching one again.
I used to smoke 2.5 packs a day:  Marlboro and Pall Malls alternating.  I used to smoke in the shower.  
[smoke]
Willpower is a crazy thing.  (see tag line)

Good Luck, Larry.  AR-15.com is no 12-step program, it only takes 3:

Load,
Fire,
Repeat.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I wish my dad would quit. Smoking blows, it smells like crap and stink up things whereever you go. They just raised the cigarette tax again in NY, my dad still don't want to quit. With all the money he spends on cigarettes we can probably buy something nice.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I once quit for two years and started back up.Mostley cause I had a hard time catching a buzz around smokers without going nuts.I been off nicotine now for about four years.Can't stand the smell and can't really go into a bar cause they burn my eyes up.

For me,it was hell day to day(I went cold turkey)till about two weeks past and I stopped thinking about lightin up every 2 minutes.After that I just kept building on the time and the longer it got,the stronger I felt about my commitment.

Took almost a couple a years to be rid of these strange random cravings that would pop up every coupla months.

Stick with it and keep your mind and body occupied and no matter what don't talk yourself into "just one"it ain't happnin!

Oh yeah,after a while I could smell things and food actually had a taste to it amongst other advantages like never really having a cold since I quit.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#19]
3 years smoke-free on June 29 after 16 years of a pack/day (more when drinking with buddies). I did not use patches, gums or prescription drugs. I just had the resolve to quit for my kids.

The first week will be very hard but once you get through it, you should be fine.

And yes it is all in the mind!!![;)][;)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#20]
DO ANYTHING ELSE- JUST DON'T SMOKE
THE URGE WILL PASS WHETER YOU SMOKE OR NOT.
I used the patch for 2 weeks. Stock up on gum(I used the big bags of bubble gum and Dentyne artcic chill. Start working out, even if it's only 1 time a day for 30 minutes.
You wouldn't believe how bad smokers STINK!

great site with lots of good info on alternative to smoking:
[url] lungsusa.org [/url]
U can do it !!!!!! Hang in there- it WILL pass!
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:18:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I gave it up eons' ago,I have the dreaded pink lung now.When that gum and patch first came out they were no good,I could'nt keep one either lit.[:|]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:36:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Hang in there...I feel your pain.  I had my last cigarette on Sunday night.  We can do it!!!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I quit Friday, so I know what you're going through.  Keep busy!  My house has never been so clean.  I'm motivating myself by purchasing a gun with the money I save.  Whatever works I guess, hang in there!
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's all psychological [devil]

View Quote
[50]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top