[#1]
Quoted:

-Everyone (almost) is a Republican
View Quote

Then how was a Democrat Gov. elected?
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#2]
So what's your point [b]Boomer[/b]?

That you were told by some well-meaning soul not to go where you probably wouldn't go in any other city in the country?

That your employer thought it was a good idea not to go into certain parts of Temple, Texas, because your employer was concerned about your well-being and the well-being of others?

And you think it's the racist makeup of the guy telling you not to go there, rather than the racist attitudes of the folks who make certain areas, even in little ol' Temple, Texas, off-limits to whites?

Hell, if you were a black male visiting from up North, he likely would have told you the very same thing!

You are certainly the product of the some other part of this country, that is for certain.

No wonder you didn't like the attitudes you found in Texas!

We're too racist for your blue blood!

Jeepers, you must be willing to say [u]anything[/u] to make some kind of lame-azzed remark about Texas!

Eric The(Shocked!Shocked,ITellYou!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Hey, guys, guys. I started this thread as a friendly salute to the boys in Texas. I am rather saddenned to see this argument come up. Everywhere in America has it's rotten places. Give it a rest please and shake hands.

thank you kindly,

Stepped-init
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Everyone (almost) is a Republican
View Quote

Then how was a Democrat Gov. elected?
View Quote

Which Democrat governor are you thinking of?

They are few and far between in Texas, nowadays.

Eric The(Republican)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#5]
TEMPLE, Texas??!!...TEMPLE, TEXAS??!!!...fer cryin' out loud that's about as safe a place as you can get anywhere!  Geez! You'd have to be real creative to get in trouble in Temple.  They've even got a Baptist College there...what is it... Mary Hardin Baylor??  I'm driving thru there tomorrow and again the next day.  Last time I was there I had too detour around construction on I-35 and got turned around.  Pulled over by the side of the road and asked a couple guys directions...they were so polite they repeated the directions twice for an old fart like me.  Lot of retired military there cause it's not too far from Fort Hood.  Temple is a good old Central Texas town.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Perhaps Ann Richards? [:)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Perhaps Ann Richards? [:)]
View Quote

Yes, a one term governor who won because Republican candidate Clayton Williams made a crude joke about rape with the cameras rolling!

In Texas, crude jokes about rape don't go over very well, at all.

And [u]filmed[/u] crude jokes about rape, played over and over on the news, really don't go over very well, at all!

Eric The(GeorgeW.KickedHerSweetGrayAss!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#8]
What's my point, Eric?

Had it been ONE well meaning soul, I probably would have written it off. When it's damn near [b]ONE HUNDRED[/i] well meaning souls, I pay attention. When the managing officers of my employer, a huge, multi-national corporation, think there's a problem, well, maybe I should, too.

You can turn a blind eye to it, lie to yourself, or pretend it doesn't exist to a greater degree than many other areas of the country, but the fact remains that in Texas racism is far more ingrained and tolerated than what I am accustomed to. Frankly, I was rather surprised at just open it is. And it ain't like I haven't been around the block a few times myself.

If being open minded and tolerant makes me unfit to be a Texan, then so be it I guess. No skin off my nose. It should come as no surprise to you that I passed by a considerable financial incentive to permanently relocate there.

And I never said I didn't like the attitudes in Texas, just some aspects of them. If you could get past you ego for a moment maybe, just maybe, you'll come to comprehend that.

Maybe you should try getting OUT of Texas a little more often to gain some perspective.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#9]
By the way, Arock, Mary Hardin Baylor is in Belton.

Sheesh, goddamed Texans don't even know what's where in their own state.

Oh yeah, I also loved how in the free state of Texas I had to drive to the next county to buy anything harder than a wine cooler. Wheeee. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Post from Boomer -
Had it been ONE well meaning soul, I probably would have written it off. When it's damn near ONE HUNDRED well meaning souls, I pay attention. When the managing officers of my employer, a huge, multi-national corporation, think there's a problem, well, maybe I should, too.
View Quote

Well, then, tell me you paid attention to all of these people's racist, intolerant, biased, ill-considered, contemptuous, and snide remarks!

Did you? Well if you [u]didn't[/u], what did you know about Temple that nearly 100 natives and your multi-national corporate employer didn't know?

The 'secret-handshake' to get you out of trouble in those certain neighborhoods?

If that offends you, [b]Boomer[/b], then go ahead and be offended, but don't try to blame good old-fashioned advice on some Bullsh|t racism, where there's no racism to be found!

I'm certainly sorry you had such a miserable time with race relations in Texas.

Just strike Texas and it's 20 million citizens off your Christmas card mailing list.

That'll show us for being so [i][b]racist![/b][/i]

Eric The(Racist,SonOfRacists,FatherToRacists)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hey, guys, guys. I started this thread as a friendly salute to the boys in Texas. I am rather saddenned to see this argument come up. Everywhere in America has it's rotten places. Give it a rest please and shake hands.

thank you kindly,

Stepped-init
View Quote

Don't sweat it.  Boomer does this every time somebody talks about Texas.  Some people just can't let others have a good time.  You would think he would have some Bushmaster bashing thread to attend to instead of bothering the Texas folk.

Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Boomer:
What part of Washington do you live in? If you live in Seattle - Do not spend much time in the Jackson St. area. And watch out for you skinny butt when you are on First Avenue.

Have you ever went to a Seattle night club named "Birdland?" You do not want to spend to much time in the parking lot there.

Though I was born in Montana, I grew up in Washington State. I lived in a small town named  (5000 population) Omak. During Apple harvest you should not spend to much time around the Rodeo grounds.

There are places your white Butt shouldn't go into, even in the small towns.

My wife is from San Antonio,TX and we may move there permanently, soon. Her brother came out here to visit us, and he asked me, "what is the easiest way to get back to Texas." I said go East, until you smell it, then turn South, until you step in it -- That's Texas.

Any hill, less in stature, than the Rocky Mountains is just a landscape Hemmorhoid.

Sweet Lovable Old Bill
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Being as most of Texas is either relatively flat and scrubby or swampy, I'm curious what kind of offroading there is. Based purely on my casual observations, Texas didn't appear to be much of an offroader's paradise.
View Quote

You've never heard of the Hill Country?  It certainly isn't flat.

I don't have to worry about my house getting swept away in a toronado, either. [;)]
View Quote

I guess, but you guys don't even get jumbo shrimp.  You get those scrawny looking "prawns," or as I like to call them, mini-shrimp.  You also have to love the year round chill to those Pacific Northwest waters.  And all that uplifting Washington State rain. [}:D]

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oh yeah, I also loved how in the free state of Texas I had to drive to the next county to buy anything harder than a wine cooler. Wheeee. [;)]
View Quote

Temple and Belton are adjoining towns.  The correct name is Temple-Belton for you uninitiated.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Temple and Belton are adjoining towns.  The correct name is Temple-Belton for you uninitiated.
View Quote

That would be news to me.  I grew up less than 25 minutes from there and my parents still live near there.  I have never heard it called that.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

That would be news to me.  I grew up less than 25 minutes from there and my parents still live near there.  I have never heard it called that.
View Quote

You're completely too serious.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry Arock, after reading it again it does sound a little too solemn.[;)]  I guess listening to Boomer spout off got me a little riled.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sorry Arock, after reading it again it does sound a little too solemn.[;)]  I guess listening to Boomer spout off got me a little riled.
View Quote

I'll drink one to your honor tonite.  BTW I've already paid for all three of my kids to go to College Station.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll drink one to your honor tonite.  BTW I've already paid for all three of my kids to go to College Station.
View Quote

And you got money left over?!?!?!  
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

And you got money left over?!?!?!  
View Quote

Please do not remind me!  I should have named my firstborn Beechcraft, my second Sea Ray and the last Mercedes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Eric The(GeorgeW.KickedHerSweetGrayAss!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

And what a Republican he turned out to be.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#22]
About twice a year, my wife and I visit the States for a break. She gives the credit cards a thorough workout and I get to sample the draft Guinness you just can't get down here for love nor money. It used to be San Diego but, since they don't even let you smoke in a bar in Kali, for the last three years its been Texas.

We both really like the place but most of all we enjoy the friendliness and politness of the people. They really give meaning to the term "southern hospitality". But it's only reading the posts here on this thread in response to Boomer's comment, that have made me realize how thin-skinned some of you Texans are.

I mean I'm sure that there may be parts of  Vatican City that are not safe (in fact, given recent stories about priests, I'm sure there are!). But if Texas is so big, you Texans should be big enough to take a little criticism.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Post from stycr -
But if Texas is so big, you Texans should be big enough to take a little criticism.
View Quote

Texas is still big, it's Boomer's criticisms that are real small!

Texans don't mind criticism at all if (1) it's constructive (Bommer's isn't - how do you tell folks not to warn visitors about going into high crime areas at night? You don't, so his criticism is pointless), and (2) if it's given in a well-maning manner (Boomer's isn't - his posts have been one long continual bitch, moan, and whine about Texas).

So we've just come to the conclusion that he's something of a Washington State Jerk![:D]

Or possibly, just a jerk, who once resided in Texas, until he was run out on a rail![:D]

Either way, his criticism of Texas ain't worth a pitcher of warm pizz!

Eric The(Comprende?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#24]
OK...I am sick and tired of Texans (and other Southerners) being labeled as prejudiced racists.  It's UNBELIEVABLE.

First of all...racism and prejudice is EVERYWHERE.  Every single person on this planet has prejudices, it's impossible not to.  It's how you handle it and the way you interact with other human beings that counts.

Secondly, the South (including Texas) is probably one of the LEAST racists part of the country because we have been forced to integrate our cultures together...which has been a good thing.  Ask any black, hispanic, or Asian and they will tell you that Texas is much less openly racist toward them than Chicago, New York, Cleveland, Los Angeles, Oakland, Portland, you-name-it.

In fact, one of the most racial cities I have ever been in was Salt Lake City...talk about polarization and open hostility.  Whew!

I'd like to quote Hank Hill from "King of the Hill" sitcom:  "What THE HELL kind of country is this where I can't hate a man unless he's WHITE?!?!  It's not prejudice, I hate THE MAN."

Or in my own words, "I am an equal-opportunity hater...if you're stupid, I'll probably dislike you."

Pull your head out and live in peace with your fellow man.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#25]
No, Eric, SOME of you Texans just can't handle some ribbing about Texas not being the paradise you delusionally believe it to be without taking offense and escalating it to this point. And now you've slunk down into a personal attack. How enlightening.

Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No, Eric, SOME of you Texans just can't handle some ribbing about Texas not being the paradise you delusionally believe it to be without taking offense and escalating it to this point. And now you've slunk down into a personal attack. How enlightening.

View Quote

How about the fact that every time someone posts something positive about Texas you have to jump in and whine about how racist Texas is.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Okay, I'll bite. How many times would that be? Methinks you are extremely hyper-sensitive about the subject. Why is that?
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Jesus Harold Christ!!  Can't you guys find anything better to argue about than this.If folks want to like Texas, that's fine.  If you don't like Texas, that's fine too.  Just do it on the other side of rhe Red River.  Y'all git on now and go find some Palastinians to fret over!
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

You ain't been attacked personally...yet. So don't push your luck!

I would get out my Washington State Joke Book but it appears that no one thinks....

Well, let's just say that there isn't one![:D]

But you may think what you will about Texas, I really don't care, but just keep it to yourself if you want to keep the peace.

Eric The(Pizzed)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
But you may think what you will about Texas, I really don't care, but just keep it to yourself if you want to keep the peace.

View Quote

If only we could all heed those words of wisdom....

[:)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What's my point, Eric?

Had it been ONE well meaning soul, I probably would have written it off. When it's damn near [b]ONE HUNDRED[/i] well meaning souls, I pay attention. When the managing officers of my employer, a huge, multi-national corporation, think there's a problem, well, maybe I should, too.

You can turn a blind eye to it, lie to yourself, or pretend it doesn't exist to a greater degree than many other areas of the country, but the fact remains that in Texas racism is far more ingrained and tolerated than what I am accustomed to. Frankly, I was rather surprised at just open it is. And it ain't like I haven't been around the block a few times myself.

If being open minded and tolerant makes me unfit to be a Texan, then so be it I guess. No skin off my nose. It should come as no surprise to you that I passed by a considerable financial incentive to permanently relocate there.

And I never said I didn't like the attitudes in Texas, just some aspects of them. If you could get past you ego for a moment maybe, just maybe, you'll come to comprehend that.

Maybe you should try getting OUT of Texas a little more often to gain some perspective.
View Quote

It is in this post that politics took a turn to consensus racism, namely in TX. So 100 well meaning *management* souls comment to you on safety. From this you form a opinion on racism supported by what I see as a third person point-of-view? I will leave out any topographical place in question. I am open to your opinion but, not the approach or basis of conclusion.

Without dabbling in politics or my own experiences......how can one form such an opinion based on others comments? These are topics and beliefs of ones being Without even contradiction, it is easy to see that they are unjust. It is in the 1st person which points are made.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have lived in New Mexico almost all of my life.  I lived in the Panhandle of TX for about 1 1/2 yr.  Most of my family lives in TX so I've visited there quite a bit.  That said, I've got to agree that Texas is a great state.  They just have a different attitude.  They have a great sense of law and order and a great cultural heritage.  Too bad they don't have any mountains.  Texas is one of the few states that I would consider moving to.
View Quote

Well...Fort Davis sits at 5300 feet in the Davis Mountains.  Clear and cool at the foot of Mount Locke and the McDonald Observatory.
View Quote

We would call that a big hill. he he
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Just had dinner in Temple.  (La Casa.  Death by burrito)  In the same neighborhoods Boomer fears so much.  
I'm living in a barracks on Ft Hood,  and go to Temple on an almost daily basis. It's about the only place to buy anything.

I'm still alive.

I'll tell you where I have been really concerned for my safety because of the color of my skin.  Two places. Portland Oregon and Seattle Washington.
Temple and racism are two terms that just don't go together. It's laughable. What's the real beef Boomer?

I remember another board's poster by the name of Boomer.  Claimed to live within a couple of miles of me, with  whom I had many an interesting discussion about the Williamson county Militia.  Wouldn't be you would it?

As an aside,  MHB has campuses in Temple, Belton and Waco, and extensions in several other communities.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:19:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Post from eric the ton

What would america be without texas?

Well sir richer for one

Like 7,692,611,112 in farms subsidy from 1996 -2001 I guess texas has big stuff down there- like bank accounts

Just not the lincoln savings and loan " aka the keating 5 "assholes that costed americans  3.4 billion.
Oh BTW let's not forget enron, but I have no info how much these criminals cost the tax payers.

So I say in close keep your beloved texas and leave my wildlife refuge the FucJ alone.[}:D]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:55:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What would america be without texas?

Well sir richer for one
View Quote

Who'd be refining your gas and providing your plastics?  Texas already refines over 50% of the nations petroleum products.

Like 7,692,611,112 in farms subsidy from 1996 -2001 I guess texas has big stuff down there- like bank accounts
View Quote

And that doesn't happen in the midwest?  Not that I believe in farm subsidies, because I don't, but let's be fair.

Just not the lincoln savings and loan " aka the keating 5 "assholes that costed americans  3.4 billion.
View Quote

[b]Costed?[/b]  Bahahahahaha.  If you're going to be pompous and snotty, at least take the time to use real words.

Oh BTW let's not forget enron, but I have no info how much these criminals cost the tax payers.
View Quote

Yeah, they charmed the Clinton whitehouse into paying for the majority of their part of that useless power project in India.  But don't even start talking about Enron.  Then again, the Bush administration had enough sense to tell them there was nothing that could be done for them when they came crawling.  And it should be pointed out that Ken Lay is from Indiana.

So I say in close keep your beloved texas and leave my wildlife refuge the FucJ alone.[}:D]
View Quote

And keep us dependant on foreign oil, right?  I'm sure you agree with the "liberal" politics of the countries we get our oil from.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 12:22:37 AM EDT
[#36]
On the topic of racism and TX. I have seen much more racism in GA than I have ever seen in TX.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:33:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Would someone please explain to me ow it's racist to be cautious of an area with a violent record??

Bit back to the topic. Texas-O.U. weekend... Aggies & Longhorns ..Bakeries in West .. Fredricksburg.

Some may wonder WTF? about this list, but Texans will know... fullclip
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:55:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Bit back to the topic. Texas-O.U. weekend... Aggies & Longhorns ..Bakeries in West .. Fredricksburg.

Some may wonder WTF? about this list, but Texans will know... fullclip
View Quote

Speaking of West, Texas (that's not West Texas), I'll have Czech kolace pastries for breakfast tomorrow morning on the way to Austin.

And stop by Nemecek's meat market on the way back for some steaks and sausage for the home six.  Best butcher shop in Texas.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 4:17:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Post from eric the ton
View Quote

'Ton' of information? 'Ton' of insight? 'Ton' of personality? Whaaatt?
What would america be without [red]T[/red]exas?
View Quote

I'll let you get away with not capitalizing America, because that just shows your filthy unpatriotic politics, but you must capitalize Texas. It's the Law![:D]
Well sir richer for one
View Quote

Heh-heh-heh, hitting the bong a little early today, aren't we [b]kentstate4?[/b]
View Quote

Seven trillion? Seven trillion? WTF do you come up with that number, [b]bongwaterbreath?[/b]

But as far as bank accounts go, yes, there's plenty here among sharp, industrious, and hard working folks in Texas!

(Doesn't [u]that[/u] just eat you up, [b]mental midget?[/b])
View Quote

That debacle which 'costed' Americans so much, was not a Texas problem, little boy. You did go to college, didn't you? I mean even though you have [b]absolutely no connection to Kent State University![/b]
View Quote

Well, so far, the taxpayers have not paid anything on account of Enron. The shareholders and employees have, but the taxpayers have not.
View Quote

You can bet that we'll keep our beloved Texas.

I think you need to slither back to whatever wildlife refuge you came from. If it's in Texas, we may need to eradicate it for vermin!

Eric The(Serious)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 4:38:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Anybody here got any outstanding warrants??

The kind that won't allow you to possess firearms or ammunition??

[:K]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 4:39:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Texas....My country right or wrong.[img]http://www.smilies.nl/landen/Chile.gif[/img]  
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:43:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Only been to Texas once - in Houston when I was 15 yrs old, over 15 years ago.

Of the few things I can recall - the heat, the hospitality and Houston Oiler Cheerleaders [;)]

My 'five year plan' is still on course and approximately 1602 moving days till Hillary and Co. can kiss my rear.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:16:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Anybody here got any outstanding warrants??

The kind that won't allow you to possess firearms or ammunition??
View Quote

Well, being as I've renewed my drivers license twice, my concealed weapon permit once, purchased hunting and fishing licenses every year, been stopped by cops and issued citations, and passed several NICS checks in the 5 years since I was in texas, I guess you're not refering to me. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#44]
well Boomer,  I'll tell you what.  Give me the exact location of this area you were warned about,(shouldn't be too hard to find,  you can see one side of Temple from the other)  the name of the company who warned you,  and Ill go down there, unarmed, have dinner and tell everybody that I work for this company.  I'll even take a date.  This very evening.  Then I'll come back and tell you all about my narrow escape from death.

Ribbing about Texas we can take.  It's outright lies that get us peeved.  By my count this is the third thread you have come up with this nonsense.  What's the REAL reason you slam Texas?

Daily, thousands of Yankees are raising a dust cloud getting here for the jobs and quality of life, and you head the other way.  Really makes me curious.

Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#45]
[img]http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Jan2000/20001033c.jpg[/img]

Of course my fellow, intrepid, [b]hard[/b] chargin', Leatherneck has [b]rear[/b] area security under control!

1. No State income tax.
2. CCW
3. No State income tax.
4. No State income tax.
5. No State income tax.
6. No State income tax.
7. No State income tax.
8. No State income tax.
9. No State income tax.
10. God stops by to visit come Springtime to enjoy Shiner Bock, BBQ Brisket, and Blue Bonnets!
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Any stupid low-life that runs out on a simple traffic fine and consequently gets warrants for their arrest and imprisonment issued needs to keep a good watch over their shoulder for even the most minor violations.  It's just waiting to catch up to them.  And it always happens at the worst times. [:D]

So why don't you pony up the money you owe the State of Texas and get over your guilt?  [:D]

It's a racist thing you have. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Some clarification is obviously in order.

The people who warned me about some certain "bad" part of Temple were not company officers. They were co-workers, hotel & restaurant employees, etc.

My employer's local officers had a policy that crews were not to transported through a certain area. There apparently had been some problems there in the past, so the aforementioned warnings would appear to have had some small degree of merit. Again, Temple, Texas, has the distinction of being the only place I have worked and was aware of having such a policy.

Myself? I think the warnings were overblown. Fact is, the friendly warnings themselves were not the basis for what I construed to be racism. It's the way they were given. Frankly, it didn't take hearing "watch out for those monkey faced niggers" too many times for me determine it to be racism. And I was quite taken aback at how frequently I heard such language and how casually it was used. I've never heard any of my black co-workers refered to as a "nigger" here in Washington, but it was unbelievably common where I was at in Texas. That is from where I arrived at my conclusion that such racism is more ingrained and prevalent than what I am accustomed to. For the most part, all these guys were just a bunch of good ol' boys who generally meant well and probably never realized just how they came across on that one issue. They sure could party, too. [;)]

As far as Temple being some dangerous place, nah. I'm simply relating what many of your fellow Texans told me while I was there. I felt lot less safe in Houston than I did in Temple. The yard office on Milby street in Houston looks like a fortified military compound. First time I ever saw anything like that, too. (Although I've since seen similar facilities in LA and Chicago).

Guys, lighten up a bit and get over yourselves. No one is saying or has said that Texas is some kind of racist hell. All in all, Texas ain't a bad place. It certainly has it's good points. It was a nice place to visit and work for a while and while I seriously pondered moving there, I just could never call it home. I would simply miss the rugged beauty of the Pacific Northwest too much.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Any stupid low-life that runs out on a simple traffic fine and consequently gets warrants for their arrest and imprisonment issued needs to keep a good watch over their shoulder for even the most minor violations.  It's just waiting to catch up to them.  And it always happens at the worst times. [:D]

So why don't you pony up the money you owe the State of Texas and get over your guilt?  [:D]

It's a racist thing you have. [:D]
View Quote

Guilt over an unpaid traffic citation? Never. And here I was thinking that you Texans were made of stronger stuff than that. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:36:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I love Texas, accept during OU vs Texas weekend. Then Im an OU fan.
I went to OU. And they have more National Championships.
View Quote

I was staying at the Hampton Inn during an OU weekend, just outside of the West End in downtown Dallas, man those folks know how to party.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top