Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2002 9:34:01 AM EDT
The 4th is getting close and I want to buy some rockets that really put on a show, what rockets are the best?
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Hands down, the Little Boy MkI :)

[img]http://www.britishpathe.com/Hiroshima.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#2]
A few rockets are cool, but mortars are the best.  Or just pick up 6 lb Napoleon and shoot that in the front yard.  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Estes Model rocket engines make the best rockets.

Take 1 square Balsa dowell, Electrical tape, 1 Estes engine (pref. size "C" or higher), 1 M80 (homemade, or pre-1968 storebought), and about 4 inches of cannon fuse.

Tape the M80 to the Estes engine.  Make sure that the fuse is fairly short, and inserted into the front end of the engine (NOT THE NOZZLE!!!).  Make sure they are fairly solidly mated together.

Secure the engine/M80 duo to one end of the stick, making sure that the nozzle of the engine is pointed toward the long end of the stick.  Bend about 1/2 inch of the cannon fuse onto itself, and insert into the nozzle of the engine, making sure that it sticks in place.

Viola!  Instant bottle rocket!

"Insert into pipe.  Light fuse and get away!"

Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nope, a M80 on a Estes rocket would NOT be reusable. [;)]
View Quote

Exactly.  That way you don't have to waste time painting your rocket pretty colors and putting "Wizzard" decals all over it! [:P]

BTW - I still have a pretty good collection of Estes rockets, but I dont shoot them off anymore.  I only use the engines!

I haven't tried this yet, but I have been tempted to glue the nose cone onto the body, and fill it with small rifle primers, matchheads and broken up lady-fingers.  You know.  Just to see what would happen.  [;)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey Am-O-Tramp, if you really want to put on a great show with 'legitimate' fireworks, get Festival Balls.

They use a cardboard tube that is reusable, and you get a number of mortars in a pack.  You can get light loads or heavy depending on your budget.

They are excellant home fireworks.  Don't look into the tube!
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm in Illinois and all fireworks are banned except sparklers and those worm things.[>(]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#9]
crook as others said.. model rockets.  you can get the cheap A engine suckers. load them with a bit of powerder and an fuse... it goes up but it doesnt come back down.

well.. intact anyway. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm in Illinois and all fireworks are banned except sparklers and those worm things.[>(]
View Quote

That has to be one of the most widely broken laws in the state.  THANK GOD!  It is also one of the most unenforced.  Indiana and Missouri are right next door!

Tannerite is still legal here though IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here in Michigan!  Thank god for Ohio

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#12]
They also let us have those little snap things

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I say [b]Artillery Shells[/b], as they're called down in Texas.

They're wonderful little balls of various colors and displays that are lit inside a tube, pop up a 100 feet or so, and then explode into displays, much as described in Torf's post about 'Festival Balls.'

I think I'd rather refer to them as 'Artillery Shells', wouldn't you? [:D]

Eric The('FestivalBalls'SoundsSo...California)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#15]
What states can you buy motars, bottle rockets and Artillery Shells in?
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Things have changed a bit this year here in Kali. I just saw a report on the news that they are stepping up enforcement and penalties due to the extreme drought and the high state of forest fire dangers.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They're wonderful little balls of various colors and displays that are lit inside a tube, pop up a 100 feet or so, and then explode into displays, much as described in Torf's post about 'Festival Balls.'

View Quote

I see what you mean Hun.

From now on, it's "ARTILLERY SHELLS"!  Unless I can somehow make "OSAMA'S FLYING, EXPLODING HEADS" to stick!

Does anyone ever make Dry Ice Bombs?  If you can get a few pounds of dry ice, and a bunch of 2 liter soda bottles, you are ready for some fun.

They work just like Drano Bombs, but are far less dangerous and toxic.  Add a small handful of chunks of dry ice to a bottle, and then add a few ounces of water.  Get away!

It might take anywhere from 10 - 30 seconds for them to go off.  It is a lot of BOOM for your buck.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Saturn Missles Battery. They have 15 shot, 50 shot or 100 shots. They are pretty damn cool! I love those things. The 100 shot ones last for about 2 minutes. All the "battery" is is a square piece of cardboard that contain the little rockets. When the fuse is lit, the rockets will fire one at a time. If you want a picture, I can send you one.
There are also M80 roman candles. They are just like a regular roman candle, but instead of shooting out those pretty, beautiful, magnificent balls of fire, they shoot out an M80.
Also, there are mortars. They are little balls ("like the pro's use") that contain an explosive. They are a smaller version of what the professional pyrotechnics people use. But, they come in several different sizes. You can get 1" to 5" mortars if you find the right people. The 5" ones are just like the ones they use for fireworks shows. THey have a loud BANG as well!!!!! A sure cloud pleaser.
You also have many other things, but I think this should be enough. I'll let you guys know if CA will really enforce these things. I doubt they really will.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's another vote for mortars, festival balls, artillery shells, or whatever you like to call them.  Nice breaks, not to mention safer than rockets.  Mortars pretty much go straight up.  Rockets you don't know where the heck they're going.
Of course you can't forget a nice fountain!  
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#21]
In the PRK, most real fireworks are felonies.  The safe-n-sane fireworks are a complete waste of money.  Anyone caught even possesing 1 firecracker or bottle rocket gets a mandatory 5 days in jail.  On top of that, its a felony.  Even sparklers are a felony, and those stupid morning glory aren't worth the paper they are wrapped in.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Dixie Whistlers (and other bottle rockets to a lesser extent) rock anywhere that has water near.  They'll 'submarine' and blow up.

I'll also second the saturn missile batteries and especially the mortars.  They are cool because you can get several people to buy several each and watch for a long time.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:54:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
...and those stupid morning glory aren't worth the paper they are wrapped in.  
View Quote

Thats why you [b]UNWRAP[/b] them and take their powder for other uses!  1 Morning Glory contains more powder than a whole string of Black Cats, and it is a piece of cake to extract!
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Artillery Shells' are good 6 in a pack but the best thing I ever got my hands on were Titanium shells, 3 on a board (about a two and a half inch pipes). Incredibly loud and great silver/white color. It went up approx. 150ft and set off just about every car alarm on the block. The force was enough that it felt like someone had smacked you with an invisible sack of clothes, and just when you start to get up another goes off.[:)]

JerrY  
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#25]
lol. poor people proabably thought they were being bombed.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#26]
"Chasers" are my favorite.  You hold them in your hand and light them ready to throw...they then SCREAM and fly horizontally (but not necessarily STRAIGHT) then explode about 25 yards away depending on how good you threw it and the flight pattern.  VERY FUN.

Back in 1985 I could buy about 20 for a dollar down in Guatemala (on a short trip there) and had a blast.

Old fashioned Black Cat bottlerockets were cool, but can't find them in Houston area any more.  I loved cutting their stick short and firing them out of lead pipes.  FUN FUN.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok, when you guys get to the ETH farm, we will have some FUN with those artillery shells.  A buddy of mine and I shoot them with shotguns as they are accelerating upwards.  

This makes them explode at treetop (or less) height!  A real crowd....pleaser!

Really puts you INTO the fireworks display!

TRG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top