Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 6/24/2002 8:34:43 PM EDT
I purchased a Surefire D2 Defender flashlight last year when I went plain clothes and paid an arm and a leg. It is a damned great light but still pricey. I was looking for a cheaper lithium powered light to put in my wife's vehicle and found this guy's flashlight review page: [url]http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/flash1.htm[/url] It never ceases to amaze me how somewhere, someone is into whatever topic you may be interested in and how you can find stuff like this on the web. I mean, a flashlight collector for Pete's sake! Thought you guys may find that sight useful. Anyway, I am gonna grab a couple of the Streamlight Scorpions. They are comparable to the D2 but about a third of the price at about $25-35! The price really has came down on these things and they also have a belt clip model available. Gotta love a 10 year shelf life on a battery plus it uses the 123 which is really common. We all probably carry regularly but how many of us carry a good tactical light as well? Here is a great product at a great price, IMHO. [img]http://store5.yimg.com/I/botach_1690_32661040[/img] Botach has them for $29 without the clip and $34 with. [url]http://www.botachtactical.com/streamlight.html[/url] I hear the Cutlery Shop has them but I do not know if they have the clip model. Enough about that, just thought that it was something we should all think about. Stay safe, people!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:38:19 PM EDT
[bounce]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:34:07 AM EDT
[soapbox] [peep] I'll get off my soapbox and go back to my hole...
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:44:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/25/2002 5:44:24 AM EDT by fight4yourrights]
This dude is a SERIOUS flashlight NUT! [img]http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/led/collection0401.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:56:39 AM EDT
The Streamlight Scorpion is a wonderful light!! Besides the fact they're such a great price and the performance is so great the bulbs are only $4-5 compared to $15 & up for the Surefire series. The rubber coated housing is also great for when you're working on something and you need to hold the light with your teeth.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:41:55 AM EDT
now do they make a remote switch for it and a foreward mount?
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 3:21:18 PM EDT
IA, I can't see how there could be a remote option for this particular light as it's body is covered in seamless rubber. I did notice the other day that there is now a remote pressure switch for the Streamlight (or Insight Technologies) M-3 weapon mounted light. I have an M-3 for my Glock and find it a very good product. They make mounts and adapters for a wide range of handguns and longarms. The price is right on these lights as well, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 3:49:32 PM EDT
Are the streamlights really as bright as the surefires? They measure in candlepower where streamlight measures in lumens and I don't know how to compare the two. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 7:11:20 PM EDT
Ratters, I had the same questions about lumens v candlepower. I did a little research and I still have questions. :) It appears that there is no way to convert or compare the two because I THINK lumen ratings vary based on the distance at which the measurements are taken but CP is from a fixed distance. Also one looks at overall light output the other looks at focused output or some such. Do a Google search on Lumen versus CP and you will find more info than you can interpret... It was more than I could at least! To answer you question, though, Surefires are generally brighter and most have a fixed focus. Streamlights a slightly less brillant but have a longer runtime. Also most Streamlights have adjustable lenses. I guess the point is, $30 is a kick ass deal for a light WAY brighter and less that 1/10th of the size of a 5 D cell monster Mag Light. Hell, at that price you could almost consider it disposable.
Top Top