Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2002 10:32:11 AM EDT
[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36361-2002Jun24.html[/url]

WASHINGTON –– With Amtrak on the brink of a nationwide shutdown, a senator said President Bush and Transportation Secretary Norman Y. Mineta assured him Monday they will keep the nation's passenger railroad operating.

Sen. Robert Torricelli, D-N.J., said Mineta "gave me his word" that the administration will find a way to resolve Amtrak's immediate financial crisis.

Torricelli discussed Amtrak with Bush and Mineta on Monday during a visit by the president to New Jersey.
View Quote

....YAY!!  More of our hard earned money flushed down the crapper to fund something that has never, and will never, make money.  WOO!!!

It's only $200,000,000.00 though.  No biggie.

FooBarBaz
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing compared to farm subsidies, welfare and other assorteds.  It's worth it to have those dingy trains still running so old people who are afraid of flying can get from New York to Florida for the winter.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#2]
BOOOO!!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't have a problem with 200 million to Amtrak.  What I do have a problem with is the 15 Billion that we gave to the airlines to protect them from lawsuits.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Do it for the CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#5]
What a sad joke!

Rail lines are AWESOME for moving bulk freight, and terrible for moving people!  Only those driven by romantic nostalga believe that trains are a viable passenger alternative.  It was no coincidence or conspiracy that when an alternative came along, people abandoned trains.

Futurists tout networks of high speed rail that would move people to work and back.  Yes, but when it's all said and done, it would have been cheaper to take that money, and pay the salaries of the expected users simply to stay home and watch TV.

Cost must always be a factor when evaluating things.  Some just don't care or understand this when taxpayer money is the source of funding!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are traveling on Amtrak from New Orleans to Los Angeles, it is less expensive for Amtrak to put you on an airplane than it is for them to transport you there by train.  Plus, you will get there much sooner and smelling better.

Amtrak, outside of the heavily traveled corridors like NYC - Philly, is for people who don't care when they arrive at the destination.  Why should the taxpayers subsidize what amounts to a "land cruise"?  Is Carnival Lines getting a subsidy?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Have anyone rode on the European railroads, they're actually pretty fast and nice. The German rails are so punctual, like they'd arrive and depart within 10 seconds of the marked time. (I timed it). The only thing is that their tickets were insanely expensive if not bought outside the country. For a second class twin pass unlimited travel for 4 days, each day cost only about 30 bucks per person. I ran out of days and had to buy a one way ticket to Frankfurt from Munich to catch my plane, it costed 78 euros. The trains are mostly empty, and in all probability DB (German Rail) is subsidized. It's a pleasant traveling experience since you don't have to drive or park your car, you just hop on the train and go wherever you want to go. The only problem is how much is costs. It's insanely expensive if you're German and want to take the German rails. It's actually cheaper for us Americans to buy tickets than it is for the Germans.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you are traveling on Amtrak from New Orleans to Los Angeles, it is less expensive for Amtrak to put you on an airplane than it is for them to transport you there by train.  Plus, you will get there much sooner and smelling better.

Amtrak, outside of the heavily traveled corridors like NYC - Philly, is for people who don't care when they arrive at the destination.  Why should the taxpayers subsidize what amounts to a "land cruise"?  Is Carnival Lines getting a subsidy?
View Quote

That and when you consider a monopoly or a near monopoly can't do the job without help then maybe it should go the way of the dodo.  Its like the post office, they've got a monopoly but every couple of months they threaten if we don't get more money or raise stamp prices we'll only be able to work less these days and can't hire more poeple...they have a monopoly and yet can't cut it without government help while although UPS and FedEx get complaints they are able to do the job without help...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Rail lines are AWESOME for moving bulk freight, and terrible for moving people!  Only those driven by romantic nostalga believe that trains are a viable passenger alternative.  It was no coincidence or conspiracy that when an alternative came along, people abandoned trains.
View Quote

Really? When was the last time you've been to Europe? Japan?

The problem was and still is with Amtrak that the government wants something for nothing. Make a profit, but don't spend the necessary cash on infrastructure. It is established that where they do, they can turn a profit.

And if you are bitching that your hard earned tax dollars are being wasted on Amtrak, how much do the feds spend on airports and highways annually? (Oh, don't forget the FAA and air traffic control) More than on Amtrak.

This isn't nostalgia, but fact. Per person, it costs less to move by train, but the feds hamstring rail travel left and right, while they continue to subsidize less efficient forms of travel through new and repaired roads, airport subsidies, and an entire administration that is paid for by tax payers.

Edited to add: Hell, I forgot the non associated costs of air pollution from auto travel. Unless of course you like choking in LA rushhour traffic on endless ribbons of concrete.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have anyone rode on the European railroads, they're actually pretty fast and nice. The German rails are so punctual, like they'd arrive and depart within 10 seconds of the marked time. (I timed it). The only thing is that their tickets were insanely expensive if not bought outside the country. For a second class twin pass unlimited travel for 4 days, each day cost only about 30 bucks per person. I ran out of days and had to buy a one way ticket to Frankfurt from Munich to catch my plane, it costed 78 euros. The trains are mostly empty, and in all probability DB (German Rail) is subsidized. It's a pleasant traveling experience since you don't have to drive or park your car, you just hop on the train and go wherever you want to go. The only problem is how much is costs. It's insanely expensive if you're German and want to take the German rails. It's actually cheaper for us Americans to buy tickets than it is for the Germans.
View Quote

Thats the problem, I'm sure the trains in Japan and Europe are great, they have bullet trains correct?  The thing is the US isn't built for trains, we're a car and plane society for the most part from what I can tell from observation.  Same reason why everyone doesn't ride the bus and/or bike to work...whilst in Europe everything better suited for buses or trains or bikes...

Thats wierd though, different prices and all for country of origin...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I saw SOH Dennis Hastert on one of the sunday talk shows. He said that in addition to the ticket, the gov't subsidises $350 per person on that NO to LA trip. 350? You can get a plane ticket for less. There is someplace for rail in our country's transit system, but Amtrack must have its head someplace dark and warm. Go with private industry or let it die, as capitalism dictates.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top