Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2001 7:29:20 PM EDT
ok, im gonna go on a .22 only feral hog hunt this fall. my pap is using the ruger with hi-cap. my .22 is a rem.597. no hi-caps obvioulsy. if im gonna use .22lr i would like to have hi-caps for the nature of the hunt( a little crazy, were talking about some arkansaw boys). i barrow a ruger from a friend. another route is getting a .22 mag that would kill pigs with one shot better. i mentioned lordtrader cause i saw he had a pic of his guns that included a gun( mini-14/30??) in one of those muzzleite bullpup stocks. i would conside one of these for a postban 10/22 and was wondering is they were good.
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 10/22 and tried a muzzlelite stock.
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#2]
22lr on a hog? i think your nuts, your only gonna piss it off and not kill it, i shot a squirrels the other day with 22lr, and it took 2-3 shots and some were still breathing, even took off ones head and it didnt die
better get some centerfire rounds for hogs
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 11:33:20 PM EDT
[#3]
lordtrader's bullpup is a 10/22.

My experiences with the muzzlite bullpup stock for the 10/22 haven't been very positive. I wasn't happy with the sights or the trigger pull. It can be pretty handy, though, since it makes the rifle alot shorter.

But a .22 for hogs??? You'd better bring something bigger for backup.
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 1:35:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 4:29:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah the one on the pic is a Ruger 10-22. The trigger, as TREETOP said, feels like a staple gun. Functions well enough though. I don't mind the sights they work for me. One thing with these bullpups is that they cannot take any mags over 6". It hits the pistol grip. The only way to get hi-caps to go on em would be a Mitchel50 mag
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 7:53:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
mattsd sounds like the adventureous type.He just wants to get teh Hog/pigs attention with his .22 then,while it charges him, shoot it dead with his bow & arrow[:o]
View Quote

some guys do, im just gonna use the .22 as a back up and make the kill with my 10 1/2 inch bowie.
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#7]
One thing with these bullpups is that they cannot take any mags over 6". It hits the pistol grip. The only way to get hi-caps to go on em would be a Mitchel50 mag
View Quote

i saw a guy cut a notch out of his grip to allow a hicap, it looked like it would still be workable.

as far as hunting hogs with 22s

arkansaw feral hogs are hunted during any other season, then you must use the legal gun and ammo for that anamial. during med to big game seasons you have to win a drawing to hunt the hog area (i belive its a swap area by the southern border). so the season we hunt is the sguirrell season so the choices are .22 (any) or a shotgun with a squirrl load. the only backup allowed is a .22 pistol, thats what the armorus .22 mag pistol is for. my pap has taken a pig with his 10/22 and guys down there have taken 350+ lb. trophy boars with .22s and bows. the trick is you dont take the "humane kill shot" as with some game. you hafta fo for a spinal hit or even a headshot. their not pretty so you dont feel bad about an ugly shot.
perhaps the best part of the hunt is the armidillos and such.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 8:06:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Matt,
  I have a 10/22 with a Choate PG Stock, I like it. I am trying to get some money for an AR lower, Let me know if your interested. I have a BSA Scope, Extended Mag Release, lightened trigger, All ready for hog hunting!

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1310557&a=9729599&p=43936384[/img]

-Jared
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#9]
What you need are some of these Augilla Super Maximum Hyper Velocity rounds.  They offer almost .22mag performance in a .22lr
With good performing ammo, you shouldn't need a high capacity mag, unless you're a lousy shot.

[url]http://www.aguilaammo.com/rimfire.htm[/url]

Scott
Link Posted: 4/2/2001 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't worry about the hi-cap mag, I don't think you will be able to get off more than 10 good rounds before he reaches you.  However, I know my father has killed two young males with a 22lr, each with one shot between the eyes. Both he said were standing still one about 20 yards away and the other about 40 yards. But, he did not go looking for HOGS with a 22. A friend of mine killed one with a spear but had a guide backing him up with rifle.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top