Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2002 6:55:21 PM EDT
How do ya kill the buggers??   It takes way too much beating to kill them..  And they gotta be dead to butcher or the meat gets bloody...

I've seen all manner of problems solved on here..  I'm bettin', someone on here must know an easy way to [b]"put em down"..[/b][stick]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you ever see Lethal Weapon 4 (or 5 whatever it was) when Leo was trying to kill the shark....I'd do it the same way
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Boy. I've always just beat on 'em till they stop wriggling. But you're right, it's a workout.

I guess you could try a .410 contact wound. Like a shark bangstick.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#3]
What size flathead... 30+ lb?  What are you using... a carpenter's hammer?  Get a 5 lb. short handled sledge hammer to do the job.  One strong swing and it's all over.

Works for my father-in-law.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
15 to 60 pounders...   Guess I'll get a bigger hammer...  I thought there'd be a place to insert an ice pick or something less violent...

Edited cause I'm getting dyslexia and I needed to add that it's a State Park or I'd Glockasize them...
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you catchin' 'em down on the lower Colorado or some of the lakes in the same vicinity?
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are you catchin' 'em down on the lower Colorado or some of the lakes in the same vicinity?
View Quote

Yeah, where ARE you gettin' these big boys?
AB
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Lake Patagonia..  I've been limited to the 13 to 30 pound range so far but the Lake record is 64 and mine get bigger each time...   There's a 70 pounder in there (state record) that's the one I'm after...   Gave up "bass only" fishing last year and am enjoying this..  Much more relaxing...  hehehe [beer]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought there'd be a place to insert an ice pick or something less violent...
View Quote

"If you had an off switch, would you not keep it secret?" - Ltr Cdr Data
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Is that a "CAT" fish??   Bet I could snuff em.

MMMMM..   Flathead flavored doggie bisquits.  Yummy.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#10]
This is what you do.

Cut the tail off with a hatchet and bleed them out. This also maintains the meat in a better state.

Best just get over being squeemish.
If you don't want the head meat then just hit them with a club between the head and body there at the ridge where the backbone goes into the head.

After they have bleed out, then go to town. Its not as nice on the fish but it delivers a better product.

If you hit them you are not killing them you are knocking them unconcious.. If you cut there back bone with a saw blade after you hit them they should die right there.

Ben

To Restate:
1:Hack Tail off with hatchet or ax, they will bleed out through their tail.
2:Knock them in the head and then cut the spine
3: Skin by whatever your prefered method is.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting Ben!  I've found that if they're dead before you start cutting, there's less blood in the meat...   I'll try your technique next one...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top