User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2002 5:02:37 PM EDT
[img]http://www.msnbc.com/c/0/88/972/10x7/020619_firess_08.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.msnbc.com/c/0/88/972/10x7/020620_firetruckarrives_.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.msnbc.com/c/0/88/972/10x7/020619_firess_01.jpg[/img]

393,000 acres and counting.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#1]
... Yeah, as soon as I can I'm flying over the huge fire.
I'll post photos here.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I love the sign in the second picture (Firewood with an arrow pointing the way)...how appropos.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I once saw an interesting documentary on wildfires.  It seems that by preventing natural forest fires for the last 100 years we've done a fabulous job of allowing 100 year accumulation of fuel from fallen trees to build up.  We've also let a ton of undergrowth proliferate and allowed the trees to grow entirely too close.  All combined, when there's a forest fire now, it's an unstoppable torrent that lays utter waste to uncountable thousands of acres.  Used to just burn off the underbrush and leave most of the trees in a relatively cool fire.  Now a fire leaves a parking lot.

The forests aren't nearly as passable or pleasant now either as they were 100 years ago.

Support controlled burns, it's the best solution to preventing this.  But most people bitch about the smoke, so they're hard to do.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I once saw an interesting documentary on wildfires.  It seems that by preventing natural forest fires for the last 100 years we've done a fabulous job of allowing 100 year accumulation of fuel from fallen trees to build up.  We've also let a ton of undergrowth proliferate and allowed the trees to grow entirely too close.  All combined, when there's a forest fire now, it's an unstoppable torrent that lays utter waste to uncountable thousands of acres.  Used to just burn off the underbrush and leave most of the trees in a relatively cool fire.  Now a fire leaves a parking lot.

The forests aren't nearly as passable or pleasant now either as they were 100 years ago.

Support controlled burns, it's the best solution to preventing this.  But most people bitch about the smoke, so they're hard to do.
View Quote

Logging works too. The loggers build roads that allow you to get into places where you can conduct controlled burns. In this case a lot of the area that was burned through before it got to populated areas had no access.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

[EcoFreak mode ON]
MotherEarth/Gaia is trying to slough off the parasite called human civilization.

Humans don't belong in the forest in the first place.

Humans don't even belong on the planet.

(except Native Americans, South American Yanamamos, African Bushmen and Australian aborigines)

Ban the rest of the Human race... do it for the children.

[EcoFreak mode OFF]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top