Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2002 9:48:10 AM EDT
Does any body have homes or cabins up in the white mountains where the fire is burning.  I have a cabin in Alpine but it is not threatened at this point give it a couple more days it probably will.  I don't think they will be able to put the fire out until it rains.  I think the fire is almost at 300,000 acres.  This is really a shame this is some of the most beautiful country in the world
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#1]
You are probably correct. The only thing that can stop a fire of this size is a change in the conditions. A change in the weather would aid immensely in fire suppression efforts. Cooler temperatures and milder winds. Rain, and lots of it would be greatly appreciated.

Can't you guys do a rain dance or something?

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Rain will put it out.  So it will be out in 3 or 4 months.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#3]
That's if it rains. Latest weather report says summer monsoon rains won't start until July 10th. How large will this fire get? That's a lot of good hunting country gone up in smoke.I wonder what all the critters did? how many were lost? Really pisses me off that it (both fires) started on the Apache Indian Reservation. What the hell was that person thinking? And its not even close to being under control (0 % contained).
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck Arizona members, we just had the Hayden stop about 10 miles from our door, and containment was a combination of rains and a lot of cash. Fire fighting resources are going to be stretched incredibaly thin this summer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a very good reason why the USFS doesn't fight fires on the Rez.

They don't pay the friggin' bill!

Don't Tread...
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#6]
this is a stupid question, and the idea probably is devoid from any common sense, but im gonna ask anyhow. would a real big fuel air explosive (set off in the air at the front of the fire) rob the fires oxygen thus helping to put the fire out? just a crazy idea i suppose, but if you did rob the fire of oxygen you could put it out little by little, it would take a whole lot of FAE's ,and also be used in cunjunction of other fire fighting techniques, anyone else think this might work? or would it just spread the fire quicker? like i said, maybe a dumb question, but i think anything might be worth a shot looking into
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Or just set off a nuke.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#8]
... I'm pretty certain that the cabin I designed and built in the late 80's was consumed by the fire sometime yesterday after noon.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=126116[/url]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Winston, sorry to hear that. my prayers go to all who are going throught this right now....just pray for rain and hope nobody gets killed trying to fight the fire
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Are federal logging regulations in anyway responsible for the scale of this blaze? If so, then this reeks of government conspiracy.

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#11]
[url]http://www.sierratimes.com/02/06/21/arrs062102.htm[/url]

Ron Largent is the Operations Manager for Anglo Gold Mining in Cripple Creek, Colorado. Concerned about the fire's progress, his company had volunteered men and equipment to help cut a firebreak. The Pueblo office of the US Forest Service had indicated it could use three pieces of earthmoving machinery: two Caterpillar D10 bulldozers, and one D8. The 600-horsepower D10 has an 18' blade and is almost seven feet tall. It can uproot large trees without even breathing hard.

Anglo Gold had already arranged with Ames Construction of Denver to move the bulldozers to the base camp at Lake George. Special trailers for moving them had been driven to Colorado -- one from Utah, the other from Kansas. Anglo Gold and Ames Construction were splitting the $5,000 cost of transporting the dozers to Lake George.

The dozers pulled into Lake George on Thursday afternoon, accompanied by a bevy of heavy equipment operators from the mine who were ready to run the equipment 24 hours a day and cut a firebreak from Lake George to Divide, then over to Woodland Park. The men figured they could cut a 35’ wide firebreak for 20 miles through the forest in about a week. And they were offering to do this at no cost to the government. They just wanted to help.

Incredibly, the U.S. Forest Service turned them down. Kim Martin, the Incident Commander for the Forest Service, told Ron "The equipment is too heavy. It will tear up the land."

View Quote

It's a government conspiracy to drive people off of the land and concentrate them in the cities.

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#12]

It's a government conspiracy to drive people off of the land and concentrate them in the cities.

View Quote

Screw that, its a weather control conspiracy.  The fire is so enormous and hot, its creating its own little weather system/pattern.  Im not quite sure what theyre trying to do yet.  My associates will be getting back with me momentarily.  Ill let you all know whats up just as soon I hear back from them.

I have to go now, someones knocking at my door...
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#13]
[img]http://wwwi.reuters.com/images/2002-06-23T222715Z_01_GALAXY-DC-MDF58460_RTRIDSP_2_NEWS-ENVIRONMENT-FIRES-DC.jpg[/img]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top