Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2002 9:01:23 AM EDT
My wife told me the other day that she wanted me to store my AR's and AK's at my folks' place on the other end of town.  Did she feel uncomfortable with guns inn the house?  No.  Why then?  Because she didn't want to come down stairs after I had been fiddling with one of my toys and find me accidently shot to death.  She would rather my folks find me that way......is this bizzare or what.

I do fiddle with my toys, but they are never loaded when fiddling occurs.  Ammo on the other side of the room and they are never mixed together.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#1]
...sounds like the wife needs some of those 'nerve pills' the old folks talked about....

Have you asked her just how she got this image stuck in her head?
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you thought about storing your wife at your folks' place? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#4]
You need to take control of your household.

A few years ago my wife started in with various criticism of my hobby.  Too costly, too dangerous, too messy etc etc.  I finaly had to lay the law down.  What I do with my toys is MY business and not open for debate.  End of discussion.

Once I showed her that I meant business (and it took a while and a couple of arguments) she backed down.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I never said I actually did it....

My toys will be in MY house.  And that was the end of it.  She hasn't brought it up since.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I think FLASH66 has the right idea .Crack the whip and that should be the end of it....Just be carefull sooner or later you will have a accidental discharge WITH A FIREARM....
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Okay, this may be a little drastic, but you might have to consider:

[url=www.somethingawful.com/article.php?id=297]Box Of Learning[/url]

[:D]

Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Just say no [}:D]

She probably saw Rosie etal. babbling their bullshit.

Hey, this is post #1000!
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#11]
She's concerned because she just doesn't get it.

Give her a dose of that Venus crap (empathy, feelings, etc.), then get down to bidness. Aight?

Explain to her that you have a set of safety rules you follow when handling and shooting firearms.

Let her know that if she could only find a way to become familiar [b]herself[/b], with these rules and the safe way to shoot, handle, and store these life saving (though dangerous)firearms, she would feel a lot more comfortable.

Encourage her to get a hunter safety class, or at least a firearm safety class.  From someone besides you.  Mind you, this is only to ease her mind, you're not trying to turn her into a bug-eyed AR convert. [;)]

She just needs to have this imbued in her as a way to validate that, yes, firearms need to be handled with care, and yes, they're as safe as the practices of the people around them.

After she's done that, let her know that the only way to really cement what she's learned, is to go to the range where you can show her how to see how what she's learned actually works in the AR's case.

A yellow chamber flag is a really good idea, IMHO.

And tell her about Suzanna Hupp, who left her protection only 100 feet away, but that was about 95 feet too far to save her father's life.

[url]http://abcnews.go.com/onair/WorldNewsTonight/wnt000505_21st_Hupp_feature.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:40:15 AM EDT
[#12]
The key I have found is not to say no very often.
When I do say no She knows I mean it.
echo6
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The key I have found is not to say no very often.
When I do say no She knows I mean it.
echo6
View Quote

That's exactly my philosophy, and it worked in this case.  But I thought the initial question was kind of funny...I guess she was just concerned about what she would do if she found me in the basement with the two cats gnawing on me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:48:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Tell her she has to store her shavers, all the steak knives, and any other cutting or pointed object at her parents place cause you don't want to come home to see her dead after accidently stabbing herself.

[devil]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Have you thought about storing your wife at your folks' place? [:D]
View Quote

EXACTLY!!!  If you give into this you will cave to other crap that she comes up with.  Marriage is supposet to be a two wasy street...not one way.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
....Just be carefull sooner or later you will have a accidental discharge WITH A FIREARM....
View Quote

BULLSHIT!!  Why do people assume that just because you own firearms it's only a matter of time before a [i]negligent[/i] discharge will happen?  People have ND because they stop being safe....period!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Fortunately some of us have wives that like our kind of toys more than we do .
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#19]
actually, i had the same problem with racing bicycles. either the racing ended or they were walking.

i do miss my first wife and that girl that lived with me for 8 years.

...if only i could remember their names...

as the man said, "stick to your guns!".
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe she wants something to fiddle with?? [:D]
Buy HER a gun!  
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Has she been watching "All men are pigs" TV? (Lifetime channel, Rosie, Sally Jesse - Where every woman is a victim and every man is a lying, wife-beating sack of crap). Or maybe she has feminist friends who feel that way?
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 1:18:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Has she been watching "All men are pigs" TV? (Lifetime channel, Rosie, Sally Jesse - Where every woman is a victim and every man is a lying, wife-beating sack of crap).
View Quote

Hey the womenz have their channel - Oxygen.

There should be a real mans channel. I'll call it 'Suffocation' or 'Logic'. That only has programming not suitable for little kids or the timid. Must have a Clint Eastwood or John Wayne movie every night. Does not allow any Robert Redford directed movies or anything containing Sandra Bernhard, Rosie O'donut, etc.

Tonight has been the funniest bunch of posts I've read in a long time: Corn passing, On being a Southerner, others I can't remember.

Thanks y'all for the laughs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top