Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2002 8:41:59 AM EDT

A group of rocketeers hope the next two weeks will put them in the history books with a vehicle that, if successful, would be the first amateur rocket shot into space.

The Civilian Space Xploration Team (CSXT), a collection of rocket jocks, engineers and space enthusiasts around the country, are set to launch their rocket, dubbed Primera Spaceshot 2002, by the end of June from the Black Rock Desert in Nevada
Primera Spaceshot 2002 is a single stage vehicle powered by solid rocket propellant similar to that used by NASA in the detachable boosters for the space shuttle program. The rocket stands about 17 feet tall (5.18 meters) and weighs 550 pounds (249 kilograms) and is expected to reach an altitude of 62 nautical miles (114 kilometers). That would put the rocket 12 miles higher than the 50-mile altitude largely regarded as the boundary of space
View Quote

Complete Article
[url]http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/launches/amateur_rocket_020618.html[/url]

[img]http://www.space.com/images/v_spaceshot_2000_02,0.jpg[/img]

Benjamin
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet, rockets are cool.  I've always wanted to blast something into space, or orbit.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I wish them good luck!

Has there been any news about the guy in Colorado(I think), that is building the first privately owned manned flight rocket?
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#3]
cool, more newton's to 'em!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top