Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2002 9:19:44 PM EDT
I started working for a company that plates metal tonight. They mostly do parts for cars, Black Oxide finish used on the rails under car seats and a Chromate finish on other small parts. The Chromate finish is yellow with a small amount of purple and other colors. The metal comes in large bins with oil on them, they are hung on a conveyor, dunked in acid (Smells like it) then charged with electricity and plated. Yes, I have thought of the refinishing of AR-15's. On to the question, is chromate a large health hazard? Are any of the other chemicals used in this process? I know I could ask for the MSDS but I dont think it would go over to well, they may see it as me trying to be a know it all.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#1]
... absofvckinglutely!

It is one of the most insidious carcinogens in the industry.

... DON'T let it contact your skin or mucous membranes at all!
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#2]
This stuff gets on everyone's clothes and turns them yellowish looks like they've been bleached. The chemicals are in large dip tanks. The only safety equipment required is "tee shirt. No tanktops. Full-length pants and work boots. And safety glasses." The onlything I was told about the chemicals is "May encounter fumes from paint and direct contact on skin of chromate.(Known to cause skin irritation and rashes to sensitive skin.)thats it nothing more. The reason I asked is because I couldn't find anything on MSDS on the net.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#3]
You might be able to copy the manufacturer info down from the container label and write to them.

Or go to their web site.  Or that of any other company that sells the saem stuff.

Maybe it's here: [url]www.health.adelaide.edu.au/rheum/TQEH/msds/msds.htm[/url]

Offhand, I'd say its real bad shit.

If they've got you intimidated into not asking for the MSDS
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#4]
[i]"This is an exceptionally poisonous material for chronic exposure. May be fatal if swallowed. Human cancer hazard. Chronic exposure may cause a range of effects including kidney damage, impaired eyesight, cancer and CNS damage. Irritant. Toxicity is limited to a degree because of the extremely low solubility of this compound in water. Typical TLV/TWA 0.05 mg/m3."[/i]

... [url]http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/LE/lead_chromate.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#5]

If they've got you intimidated into not asking for the MSDS
View Quote
Not really intimidated. Its a "Family owned business" and Ive really had a hard time finding work. I don't want to look like a trouble maker, I came from a union plant to one who hates a union. That in its self is a problem. I just feel a little uneasy about going into work tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#6]

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

THANKS AOL!
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

THANKS AOL!
View Quote

Sorry, I'm having trouble, too...

What kind of chromate is it? Lead? Zinc?
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Zinc I think. I remember seeing 2 barrels, I saw a lot, That had zinc and the other said zinc no cyanide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top