Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2002 3:38:32 PM EDT
Birds are DEVASTATING my deck and the new swingset I build for my daughters on Father's Day.  There's bird shit all over my deck and the seats of the new swingset are starting to get covered in their filth.  Does anybody have an idea/invention/device for getting rid of these disgusting creatures?

I remember seeing the spike strips that keep birds from perching or roosting (maybe on the top of the swingset), but I can't find them in the stores.  Are there any electronic marvels out there that will drive these pests away?

Thanks.
I might have to start leaving desacrated bird corpses all over the yard so they get the idea.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard that you can hang all your old AOL, Eathlink, MSN CDs all over the place and the birds will be annoyed by the reflections.  I have a cat.

Jim
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have seen people with yachts place a large owl decoy on the bridge, it suppose to scare away the other birds.... I don't know if it works , i always thought they ate rodents but they seem popular.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Pellet gun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  I figured the owl or something gruesome for the little bastards might to the trick.  Now I have to convince the wife to let me hang a bird carcass from the house.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#6]
CB Longs and a .22 Rifle.  All you need then is a shovel and some space to dig in.

Its magic!
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]
No No No Guys,

The best deterent for birds are rubber snakes coiled up.....visible from the sky.    It works...try it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Just feed them all the rice they'll eat. And keep lots of water for them. Mix the two and POP , no more birdie.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#9]
SJSAMPLE,

Here is a link to the place where I got my spike strips to combat my pigeon problem. I also recommend using the adhesive they sell, or you can screw/nail them onto any surface. This product has been working extremely effectively for me for 3 years now. I even convinced my neighbor to use it, and he is happy too.

[url]www.birdbarrier.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#10]

... My parrots are cringing at your question.[:P]

Birds are incredibly intelligent, adaptive creatures. Ask any grounds keeper at a golf course how they deal with a geese or duck population. Short of having a falcon or hawk on guard duty, you're going to lose. At least then, you only have to deal with droppings from one bird (although they'll be much larger droppings). [:)]

Other than that, the only thing I can suggest is trying to determine what attracts them to your property to begin with and removing that (within reason).
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#11]
here's my favorite way

[img]http://www.nighthawkpublications.com/images/dove-insky03a.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#12]
A few years back down in Florida a guy in my apartment complex had the same problem... he used a large flat piece of copper, a bit of wiring, household current, birdseed, and a switch...

yummmm... food

zaaaaapppppp.........

Worked 'til the property manager saw what he was up to... [;)]

I love the smell of feathers in the morning...
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#13]
If you have them in an area with absolutely NO other animals or children, a pan of anti-freeze will work.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Definitely sounds like a job for C4  :> #%""#
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you have them in an area with absolutely NO other animals or children, a pan of anti-freeze will work.
View Quote

Used to. The anti-freeze that's used nowadays isn't nearly as toxic.. if at all. Still makes for a great martini mix or frat house punch though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Another vote for rubber snakes from the toy store.  will cost you very little.  Put one on each end of the swing set and one on each corner of your deck.

Birds will leave, even if they are nesting.

Ive done this, it works.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Birds can't burp. I have one work for you....Alkaseltzer!
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Oops, better check spelling next time [whacko]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#19]
The rubber snakes work just fine. I stained a log house for a guy who done it to keep birds from nesting in the eaves. It also worked very well on the guy staining the house whom the owner forgot to tell!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top