Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2002 2:16:52 PM EDT
I have them all over my place.  They have holes dug everywhere, holes in the sidewalks, and I can't landscape without them tearing it up.  They are in my birdfeeders, and my dogs hate them but can't catch them.  They even have dug into the basement!

I don't have the time to hide in the corner with a shotgun.  I do live in the country so I can do whatever, but many of the holes lead into the basement so gasoline/fusees/explosives are out along with flooding them out.  Oh, yeah, I hate outside cats too.  I don't believe in them due to the impact they have on native birds.

What can I do?  I want them to DIE DIE DIE!
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]
[smash]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have them all over my place.  They have holes dug everywhere, holes in the sidewalks, and I can't landscape without them tearing it up.  They are in my birdfeeders, and my dogs hate them but can't catch them.  They even have dug into the basement!

I don't have the time to hide in the corner with a shotgun.  I do live in the country so I can do whatever, but many of the holes lead into the basement so gasoline/fusees/explosives are out along with flooding them out.  Oh, yeah, I hate outside cats too.  I don't believe in them due to the impact they have on native birds.

View Quote

I guess Bill Murrays solution to gopher eradication in Caddyshack is out of the question then? [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#3]
22 cal. from the windows inside your house or off your porch, that's how I've taken out beavers that listen for the door to open and go under.  Try the second floor windows animals don't seem to be too aware of you opening screens up there.

Milan
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#5]
First off, you must get rid of the bird feeders, it attracts them, they also attract mice, which in turn attract snakes.

Secondly, don't waste you time trapping them, unless you plan to kill them, they will return. Any GOOD gardening center sells predator urine, (I'm sure you can get it on the internet as well) like coyote or fox. Spread it around the holes, feeder , etc. You can also tape close pins to 35mm film cans filled with polyester fiber and put some drops on them and attach to trees (this is a deer hunting trick, but it will work for this as well)If they think they are about to become lunch they will leave.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Use peanuts coated with soap.  They are too stupid not to eat it.  This will cause them to s*** their brains out.  I do not know if this will kill them, but the knowledge that you caused them to have massive diarrhea, can have a soothing effect on you.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#8]
[img]http://www.scarysquirrel.org/chipmunk/chippy8.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#10]
(On a not so serious note...)

[img]http://www.chipmunks.com/images/chpadvcd.gif[/img]

Please don't kill 'em  for [b]the children's sake[/b]!!!!

No, please don't!
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Use peanuts coated with soap.  They are too stupid not to eat it.  This will cause them to s*** their brains out.  I do not know if this will kill them, but the knowledge that you caused them to have massive diarrhea, can have a soothing effect on you.
View Quote

LMAO!
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#12]
First off, you can drown them by plugging one end of the hole and adding water to the other end,

Cats will help.  So will snakes.  I would rather have snakes then squirells, snakes dont ruin a lawn.  

Also a .22 pistol/rifle and some of those .22 primer only rounds will do wonders.

Anti Freeze also might work.

Good luck and make a game outa it.[sniper]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a problem with chipmunks three summers ago. Living in town, there was no way to shoot them. Even if I could have shot them, I probably wouldn't have.
I bought a trap and used black oil sunflower seeds as bait.
Worked great. Several times I caught 2 at a time.
I took them several miles away and released them in a forest preserve. They didn't come back.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Chipmunks make good reactive targets
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:08:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had a problem with chipmunks three summers ago. Living in town, there was no way to shoot them. Even if I could have shot them, I probably wouldn't have.
I took them several miles away and released them in a forest preserve. They didn't come back.
View Quote

I did the same.  I used a double ended live trap and just put a spoonful of peanut butter on the trip mechanism.  I caught 12 of them and hauled them seven miles away.  They did not come back.  There have not been any around for six years.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Since the chipmonks are digging,"holes in the sidewalks," MOVE before it is too late!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Chipmunks are highly social, very territorial animals.  A quick search of the web, or of your local yellow pages will reveal many breeders of alpha chipmunks.  In general, one will raise the animal in one's home, feeding it at first with one's hands.  It will grow to be a trusted companion, safe with children, and will eventually claim a circular territory surrounding your home with a radius of up to 500 yards.  Of course, it is not unreasonable to get several animals, with territories that approach one another, to expand the coverage.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I took them several miles away and released them in a forest preserve. [red]They didn't come back.[/red]
View Quote

That's because [b]I've got them[/b], you bastard!!!  

Just kidding, as I noticed you live in Illinois too.  [:D]
View Quote

Yeah, I'm in DuPage county. Actually, you mailed me an article over a year ago. It was a Blue Press piece on breaking in a new rifle.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#20]
What about a mouse-trap?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:50:43 PM EDT
[#21]
If you don't have cats or kids to worry about I have an idea for you.  A friend works as a line repair man for our local power company.  What he hates most is "those damn squirels and chipmonks getting on top of a transformer and connecting the points with their bushy tails.  You get a $600 fried squirel."

If you could run an extension cord out to the pole that holds the bird feeder, assuming it's wood, and two metal bands spaced about 2 1/2 inches apart, you can solve your problem.  Up out of the dogs reach wrap the pole with one band and secure it with a nail or screw.  Up a few inches wrap the other band.  Now bust out your wire strippers and butcher your cord.  Connect the positive feed to one band, negative to the other, cap the ground.  Put up "Danger, High Voltage" signs to warn people off. (Don't worry, chipmonks can't read)  Plug it in and be happy.

The birds are safe because they dont hang out on the side of the pole. (OK, woodpeckers might not be impressed)  The chipmonk is out of luck though, because as he climbs up the pole he is going to connect the positive to the negative and drop dead.  Bonus is that they don't live to tell others about the danger.

You are going to have to assess the obvious dangers for yourself and the personal liability might be higher than you want but it damn sure will cut the rodent population down.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

[img]http://www.snedegar.net/ryan/images/stuff/Firearms/M134B.jpg[/img]

6000 Rounds a minute can't be wrong!
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:21:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Reminds me of my own little pest control story...

I must have been about 13 or 14 years old at the time.  My father was having a heck of a time with gophers that were digging up our lawn.  He offered me a fifty cents per head bounty on the little buggers - so off to work I went.  My uncle dropped by for a visit one time and told me a story of when he was a lad.  He had an ol' cane fishing pole that he used to catch a pesky squirrel when he was young.  It was just a matter of tying a fishing line noose at the end of the pole and luring the squirrel into the noose and snagging it.  Well, I'm no dummy.  I can rig up something like that.  I took a broomstick and two boot laces from a pair of chest waders and fashioned myself a noose.  

Now all I had to do was wait for the opportunity.  It presented itself just a day or two later when I came upon a gopher and spooked it into it's hole.  I ran and got my trusty Gopher-o-matic and proceded to lay the noose around his hole.  I laid down low in the grass and waited patiently to claim my title of "Gopher-Assassin". It didn't take but a few minutes and Mister Curious poked his head up from his hole.  I yanked on that pole so hard!...but yet, I missed him.  His reactions were quicker and he evaded the noose.  I reset my trap and waited again.  The gopher got curious again and poked his head ever so slightly out of his hole.  Not yet...no...not yet...wait...Now the gopher saw me.  Both of us remained motionless.  He raised his head a little further to get a better look at me.  I remained still.  Then he reeeally stretched his head out of the hole to see what I was doing.  This was my time - I yanked on that pole with all of my might and speed!  SUCCESS!!  I snatched that gopher right out of his hole and had him caught in my lasso.

And it was at this moment that I realized that I didn't quite know what I was supposed to do next.  You see - my uncle didn't fill me in on what to do when you have a live rodent at the end of a noose.

So, I knew that I had to improvise until I could figure it out. Unfortunately for Mister Gopher, my improvisation consisted of swinging him around in the air in big looping circles to keep him from escaping.  No big bright ideas flashed into my brain while I was putting this poor rodent through all of this.  So, I kept swinging him around in large circles while I walked closer to a large elm tree.  With each step, the path of the gophers loop swung closer to the tree until....THWAP!!  Impact was made.

That was the last time I used that method for dispatching gophers. I still have nightmares of PETA breaking down my doors demanding justice.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:42:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Holy crap thats funny!
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:44:06 AM EDT
[#25]
How big's a gopher, anyways?  I've never seen one...
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 1:01:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How big's a gopher, anyways?  I've never seen one...
View Quote

[url]http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/wildlife/g1110.htm[/url]

[img]http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/wildlife/graphics/13line1.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:29:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Oh man, you guys kill me!  Thanks for the laughs!
That link Johnny_Reno posted has some good info.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:50:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:06:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Johnny Reno, you shouldn't be making folks laugh so hard in the morning - now I've got to clean the coffee off of the monitor!

the_reject
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:11:38 AM EDT
[#30]
one word

[b][red]LANDMINES[/red][/b]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:32:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:40:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Go to the pound and get a cat.  Get it neutered or spayed.  Use the flea control drops (cat will be pissed at you for a few days because it leaves a bad taste)

I went for a drive the other day through the national forest and care to guess what I saw?  A bobcat, great big, native born, claws and fangs bearing rodent erradicator that man has pretty much killed off.  If you get a cat it will fill the same niche as the predators we humans eliminated and balance the ecosystem.

Or you could learn to live with the chipmunks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:00:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Seriously. I had them too a couple of years back all around the patio. I put out rat poison near their holes and within a couple of weeks they were gone. Be careful if you have outdoor pets though. I probably offed a few unintended animals by doing so, but so what.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:58:52 AM EDT
[#34]
All striped rats must die!!

Seriously, I always tell my 11 year old son that the reason his old man is such a good shot is because of all the chipmunks I shot when I was a kid.

We had a cabin in Central Pa where my Dad would take me every other weekend during the summer.  When we had completed any maintenance on the cabin that needed done, my Dad would let me take out his Mossberg 46B and a brick of .22 LR.  I used to make sure a little chipper would go down for every shot fired from my rifle, and I would use the entire brick over the course of a weekend.

I finally conned my Dad out of that Mossberg a few years ago by agreeing to buy him a new Marlin 880.  The Mossberg has been parked and I refinished the stock.  I don't mind admitting either that I love that rifle even more than any of my "black rifles".

I wish my son could enjoy using chippies for target practice like I did, but Pennsylvania saw fit a few years back to proclaim striped rats protected.  Now that's a total load of BS, the damn things are everywhere and you can't legally shoot them anymore.  Ahh, well, my son makes due practicing on rabbits and paper targets in the back yard now.

Just felt like sharing today.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Go to a farmers store or a feed store... They will usually have some poison or such. You can also just stick a garden hosein the ground and turn it on...

Ben
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Chewing gum does work. I use it when dogs are a consideration and poison is a no-no.  Use fruit flavored bubble gum. Monks can't stay away from the stuff. The effect is death by constipation. A blockage of the digestive tract. Painful as all hell to the little critters but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top