User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2002 10:15:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#1]
[url] http://www.cabelas.com/ [/url]

[url] bassproshops.com [/url]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I hooked a Striper about a year ago on mistake with a Lews Speed Spool BB1 ($150 reel) that dang fish stripped all the gears in the reel.  Whatever you get, get something with a good drag and some stout gears, because they pull.  I once had an Ambassadeur 4600C for flipping and it was a great reel, but was too heavy compared to todays standards.  I would look ar Shimano reels if you have the dough.  They are SWEET!  BTW, where do you fish at?  

Might want to look at [URL]www.ebay.com[/URL]

Link Posted: 6/20/2002 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#3]
If you plan on tangling with big stripers, you better get a 6500 Ambassadeur at least. The extra line capacity WILL make the difference  when you tie into a good sized striper if you get them when the big ones are running. If its just schoolie sized guys in bays or rivers, you can probably get by with the 5500. If you want a little nicer reel, look at the Shimano Calcuttas in 400 or 250 size. They cost more, but they are tanks, and are much, much smoother in the drag separtment than the Garcia. The Garcia will be smooth the first few times out, but they go down fairly quickly. The Shimano drag is a thing of beauty, and will make you shed tears of joy when that fish is pulling line and flows like butter off the spool. Excellent customer service from Shimano as well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#4]
don't know much about your type of fish or lures but i use ambassadeur's for musky fishing.  takes the abuse of lobbing 1-4oz lures around but line capacity isn't much since i use dacron in 27 and 36lb test.  6500's are nice reels.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#5]
a little off topic....but check this link for superb baits.....they are expensive...but damn...they really do work:

[url]http://yamamoto.baits.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#6]
[url]www.fishusa.com[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top