Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2002 5:08:48 PM EDT
I was never really interested in handguns (all I like are FALs, ARs, M1As) but I suddenly got the urge to get one and learn to shoot with it.

So, after procrastinating since last year, I finally picked up the application from the sheriff and got four of my friends to sign up as my references. I submitted my application today and the lady who works there (Dutchess County, NY) was pretty cool. She was friendly and she said that all they issue are concealed carry licenses and after looking at my application, she said that she does not forsee any problems. However, I probably have to wait 6 months for it to get approved. She said that it is usually the FBI that is slow in doing the background checks.

I know that NY gets a bum rap in terms of gun laws, but the area where I live seems to be ok. Assault rifles are still legal and we have the right to carry concealed. Only bummer is no class 3.

I am thinking about getting a 9mm Glock (the smallest size one) for my concealed carry weapon. Any opinions out there?

The process was so painless that I am now thinking about getting a C&R FFL just for kicks and the vendor discounts.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#2]

I'm in Wayne County, NY and about to get my permit papers completed and sent in too. Looking to get a  Springfield Armory 1911-A1 if all goes well. Good luck!

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in Orange...I have the application, but I haven't had a chance to round up 4 people to vouch for me yet, or get my prints done. [:\]

Come to think of it, I filled it out like 5 months ago...*Sigh* no time [:(]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, getting the references is a pain because the references have to be notarized. Since all my references were coworkers, what I did was bring them all to the Notary and got the reference forms signed, then I treated them to lunch.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Aimless, I know Wayne County was #2 in DWI arrests in NY State for a while.

I think that the permit papers have to be taken to Rochester in Monroe County. Don't know why. Not sure about the "Hunting and Target Shooting" thing.

Apple Town Gun Shop must be the one you're thinking of, that's on 104 in Williamson. I got one of my  black powder rifles there. Small shop.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Just handed mine in  down here in Suffolk county and they told me it would take around 4 months.  The type of permit they told me I will get is something called a sportsmans license and allows carrying to and from  hunting or target shooting purposes.  I believe you need to be a business owner to qualify for a concealed carry permit but of course the laws could be different by county??
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#8]
It varies by county. Dutchess County gives only concealed carry if you are a US Citizen. If you are not a citizen, then you get the target and hunting only. Once I get it, I should be able to carry anywhere in NY state except for NYC (where you need it the most).
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:48:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It varies by county. Dutchess County gives only concealed carry if you are a US Citizen. If you are not a citizen, then you get the target and hunting only. Once I get it, I should be able to carry anywhere in NY state except for NYC (where you need it the most).
View Quote

I would be a little careful about carrying concealed "anywhere in the state" due to the stated differences in local interpretatins of the law.  I would love to have someone explain the actual state laws concerning pistol permits and how the local counties versions affect your ability to legally carry??
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:06:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:12:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds worse than NJ, almost! I am waiting for my permit to purchase, I am a cop, my one reference is a cop and the other is a deputy US Marshal, I still have to wait and so do they.

I don't need another handgun, just want it, a Colt Cowboy. As for carry, get a GLock 23, same as most cops, if you ever use it, you can fall back on the police using it for making your choice as a safe reliable weapon. Or get a Desert Eagle and explain to a jury why you blew the guy all the way int o the next county.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:39:51 AM EDT
[#14]
In Dutchess County (don't know about the rest of NY), they don't allow you to use a law enforcement officer (in addition to other professions) as a reference.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:48:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was never really interested in handguns (all I like are FALs, ARs, M1As) but I suddenly got the urge to get one and learn to shoot with it.

So, after procrastinating since last year, I finally picked up the application from the sheriff and got four of my friends to sign up as my references. I submitted my application today and the lady who works there (Dutchess County, NY) was pretty cool. She was friendly and she said that all they issue are concealed carry licenses and after looking at my application, she said that she does not forsee any problems. However, I probably have to wait 6 months for it to get approved. She said that it is usually the FBI that is slow in doing the background checks.

I know that NY gets a bum rap in terms of gun laws, but the area where I live seems to be ok. Assault rifles are still legal and we have the right to carry concealed. Only bummer is no class 3.

I am thinking about getting a 9mm Glock (the smallest size one) for my concealed carry weapon. Any opinions out there?

The process was so painless that I am now thinking about getting a C&R FFL just for kicks and the vendor discounts.  
View Quote

That sounds pretty cool.  I'll be relocating to Dutchess Conty in August and I knew from my previous visits there that it was a bit more sane there than other parts of NY.  What do they have there in the way of shooting ranges?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:56:47 AM EDT
[#16]
A few years ago I applied for my CCW. I went to the Virginia beach courthouse, specifically to the "Office of public saftey."
On the application, it ask why you want a permit to carry. I wrote N/A on that line and passed it in, as VA is a "shall issue" commonwealth.
The lady behind the counter told me I had to put a reason on the line. I took the application back and wrote "because I enjoy excercising the rights that the constitution grants me" and gave it back to her. She gave me a dirty look....accepted my money and said have a nice day.
IMO, thats a bogus, irrelevant question.

Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:57:47 AM EDT
[#17]
TRW, there's not many places to shoot that I know of. You will probably have to try to get into a sportsman club. Let me know if you need any help. I just joined one last year, it's not great but it's only 3 miles from where I live so I can shoot in the morning before I go off to work. There's a pistol club nearby that I thought of joining but I was mainly interested in shooting ARs so I did not join.

Hope that you are aware that houses here are getting pricey. Are you moving here due to a new job?

Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:19:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The only variation from county to county is whether the county you live in places restrictions on the permits. Some counties have them some don't. However if you are issued a concealed carry permit it is good throughout the state, with the exception of New York City. For example, Suffolk County may not like giving out regular concealed carry permits, but that does not effect the validity of my concealed carry permit in Suffolk County.

Penal Law section 400.00 is where most of the pistol permit stuff is located here is part of it:

6. License: validity. Any license issued pursuant to this section shall be valid notwithstanding the provisions of any local law or ordinance. No license shall be transferable to any other person or premises. A license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, not otherwise limited as to place or time of possession, shall be effective throughout the state, except that the same shall not be valid within the city of New York unless a special permit granting validity is issued by the police commissioner of that city.

[url=]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/statelaws/newyork.pdf[/url] Some of NY's firearms laws, including Penal Law section 400 are located on this ATF website. You need Adobe acrobat to view it.
View Quote

Im still a little confused(what else is new) So the permit which I'll get from Suffolk county is going to be called a "sportsmans lic" which if I understand corredtly will entitel me to posess a pistol for the purposes of hunting and target shooting.  Does this mean that outside of Suffolk cty(excluding NYC) that this qualifys as a concealed carry permit?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:22:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Restrictions on NYS pistol permits are administration restrictions only.  The NYSP have advised all PD's in NY that an arrest cannot be made for violating an administrative restriction on a PP.  

An officer can if he is so inclined advise the issuing agency/licensing officer of the alleged violation.  Then it's up to the agency to take any action that they feel is warranted.  If you disagree with the decision you can litigate the matter in a civil proceeding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top