Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2002 3:56:36 PM EDT
Are the following statements true?
------
Gun Control Act of 1968 ([puke]) says that an FFL working out of ND can't sell a gun to me as a WI resident. It also says that rifles and shotguns are exempted from this. I, as a WI resident, can have an FFL friend in ND do the transfer on an AK47 without violating the Gun Control Act of 1968 ([puke]).
[url]http://www.nraila.org/media/misc/FederalFirearms.htm#summary[/url]

------

Are there other federal laws I should worry about? I didn't see anything in the NRA's WI gun law summary page that would make me think that buying an AK in ND would be a no-no as far as WI state law is concerned.

Sigh, having to sort this is out sure annoying. Anyone who wants to get pissed off should click the link up there and attempt to read the convoluted language of GCA 1968. [puke]

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#1]
If you, as a resident of WI travel to ND you can purchase a long gun (rifle or shotgun) [i]if[/i] the dealer wants to sell to you.  He does not have to.  You [i]cannot[/i] purchase a handgun if you are not a resident of the state.  The ND dealer is not responsible if the firearm you purchased is not legal in your home state - if you take it home and it's illegal there, the onus is on you.

If you want to transfer a firearm of any kind from ND to WI, it must ship [i]to[/i] an FFL in your state of residence who can then transfer it to you.  There is no law that says the [i]sender[/i] must be an FFL, but most [i]receiving[/i]FFL's won't accept a firearm from a non-FFL holder.  

That's the law as I understand it.  I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.    
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I just found out that a family friend back in ND now has an FFL and will do transfers for me no charge.

I make it back there four or five times a year, so if I can buy long guns without getting stepped on by the man it would be nice. It would be nicer if I could just mail order guns to my door, but that aint' happenin any time soon I think.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top