Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#1]
fps rateing on most pellet guns are a joke.  You would need a higher end pellet gun and some heavy pellets.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#2]
CB caps in a repeater is your best bet. With at least a 5 shot magazine.  You still will have them crawl off and die.

Now a .22 or .25 Benjamin Marauder PCP should work IF you can place a pellet in the brain.  Round nose magnum pellet, nothing tricky.  This is like hunting elephant with a 7x57 Mauser al la Bell.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#3]
ever since I found out about the "super colibris" my airgun has been gathering dust. Any cheap .22 rifle will be a better choice with these than an air rifle, and make less noise. Mine even cycle reliably in a bolt action. Due to owning a chicken coop I know for a fact that they will kill a raccoon, and 3 opossums, and nobody keeps track of feral cats. A case of 500 is thirty bucks,give or take.
I can't say enough about these rounds if you are trying to not piss off neighbors. They make less noise than my bb guns, and seem to pack quite a wallop. Silver and blue box with a hummingbird on them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I have found the spanish made Gamo air rifles to be nice. The sportster comes in at about 150.00 with .22 rounds should do it if not auqilla or however the hell u spell it subsonic sniper rounds in .22 would be best!
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#5]
CCI CB caps are a bit better than those Mexican rounds.  The bullet is heavier and will penetrate far deeper.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
CCI CB caps are a bit better than those Mexican rounds.  The bullet is heavier and will penetrate far deeper.  

With less gas
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I'm the only one in the world that has killed a raccoon with a pellet gun?? Daisy Powerline 880 pneumatic, .177 cal, ~640 fps.  Single shot to the head from about 5 yds.  Medium sized coon, didn't even twitch.    

But I will give you they are a mean son of bioches...especially when cornered and/or threatened.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never been able to kill a coon with my break barrel .177, which is 1000 fps.

My Airforce Condor .22 @ 1200 fps will dispatch one, but it needs to be a well placed shot to the vitals.  I aim for the body, the skull seems too thick to punch through. Predator pellets (red polymer tip, hollow points) are necessary.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I've never been able to kill a coon with my break barrel .177, which is 1000 fps.

My Airforce Condor .22 @ 1200 fps will dispatch one, but it needs to be a well placed shot to the vitals.  I aim for the body, the skull seems too thick to punch through. Predator pellets (red polymer tip, hollow points) are necessary.

No, that is your problem.  My RWS 48 HAS killed raccoon with head shots using Crosman Premier Magnums.  This pellet will completely penetrate a can of chili at 75 yards (Skillshot can confirm).  

Any softer pellet, like those hollow points, lacks penetration.  You might get 3" if lucky, expanding pellets usually have less than 1" of penetration.  

This possum dropped from a single brain shot using Premiers:

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Havaheart trap tied to a rope + barrel of water...
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I know this is a gun forum so lots get all trigger happy, but what has you so "die hard" set on shooting it?

There are other options:

1) Trap and contact animal control

2) Poison "check local laws"

3) Blade at 45' with replica highlander katana reciting "there can be only one"

4) Remove it's food source and it will move on

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#12]
crossbow is the only way brother............silent and very deadly
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top