Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2011 11:40:17 AM EDT
In response to this post here:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1256122_An_interesting_take_on_pepper_spray.html

There is a really good argument that Pepper Spray (OC) is less than useful.  Being someone who has taken the brunt of both OC and CS in enclosed areas I can say that CS is definitely better.  But what say you ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
In response to this post here:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1256122_An_interesting_take_on_pepper_spray.html

There is a really good argument that Pepper Spray (OC) is less than useful.  Being someone who has taken the brunt of both OC and CS in enclosed areas I can say that CS is definitely better.  But what say you ARFCOM?

Wow.  I gotta disagree- even strong concentrations of CS have much less effect on me than strong OC.  I've used CS a great deal but only OC a few times, if that matters.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd much rather be exposed to CS than OC .
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This. I was sprayed with OC last Wed and CS gassed on Thur. Give me the CS anyday.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Pepper Spray, is way worse IMHO.  Now if you want to talk about real gas CN is some real nasty shit.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Pepper Spray, is way worse IMHO. Now if you want to talk about real gas CN is some real nasty shit.

Yeah CN is the suck.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Isn't the gas chamber at Parris Island CS gas?

If so, I'll happily do CS again compared to OC.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Isn't the gas chamber at Parris Island CS gas?

If so, I'll happily do CS again compared to OC.

Yeah it's CS
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#8]
CS is nothing, I used to run my Gas Chambers without my mask. You'd be suprised at the number of Marines that would take off their mask, take one breath and say "I can't breathe, I can't breathe!"

Simple response, you're talking, you're breathing.

OC on the other hand, only been sprayed twice, DO NOT WANT!
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#9]
The gas that makes you puke and shit is nasty DOM?The micro-pulverized talc shit is the gift that keeps giving!
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#10]
After running a chamber all day, you can go to someone elses barracks and throw all your cammies in their dryers and turn them on. Guess what happens next
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Aren't there some mixed OC/CS sprays available?  I like the way CS spreads out in a closed space.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#12]
CS never made my eyelids peel like Fox Labs does.

CS is simple, quit breathing it for 5 Min.
Fox labs kicks your ass for 5 Min, then kicks over like epoxy and goes thermonuclear on your ass for 15 Min, before settling down to hellfire for another 20 and there is no getting away from it.

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Me too.

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.  I gotta disagree- even strong concentrations of CS have much less effect on me than strong OC.  I've used CS a great deal but only OC a few times, if that matters.

I would take being gassed over OC any day, and a taser over both...
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#15]
CS doesn't work right on druggies and drunks. OC can really fuck up your day.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#16]
OC fucking sucks. Give me the gas if I have a choice.

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I love how the responses are pretty much unanimous, but the poll is split almost evenly.

It's almost like people who are voting don't know what they're voting for...
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been hit with both.

OC is FAR worse.

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Been in the chamber probably <10 times.  Been hit with OC twice.  I would rather go back to the CS chamber 10 more times than get hit with another blast of OC.  The pain is...uniquely horrible
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#20]
To me.............A heavy dose of CS feels like I am stuck in the filter of a giant menthol cigarette. Not much of an effect, and I have seen people with no effect at all to it. The other factor to consider is that CS displaces oxygen and therefore, if used indoors, must be used in certain amounts for liability purposes, because it is possible to over-gas someone with CS.

OC has no tendency to displace oxygen, therefore, it can be used in any amount desired, without the worries associated with CS. Sometimes agencies/ precincts require a certain OC product to be used. If the officer was allowed oil based, high heat, higher percentage OC fogs, the effects would be absolutely brutal. Unfortunately , we live in a society which even dictates what spray an officer must depend his life on, because other sprays are inhumane.

OC in a good spray, will whoop some ass. Unfortunately the officers seldom use the stronger sprays on the market, for liability reasons, and so the suspects can de-contaminate faster, and be on their way.

-PC-
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 3:47:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The gas that makes you puke and shit is nasty DOM?The micro-pulverized talc shit is the gift that keeps giving!

CS even in "gas form" is the same micro particles, simply in the form of smoke particles.  In fact, you can take a spent CS grenade and get all kinds of useful powder out of it...
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:10:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Not to hijack this thread but where is a good place to read up on these different chemical sprays? I have to take a class on this stuff in the near future.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:19:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not to hijack this thread but where is a good place to read up on these different chemical sprays? I have to take a class on this stuff in the near future.

Enjoy: Chemicals

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:22:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enjoy: Chemicals

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:11:21 AM EDT
[#25]
My pleasure.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:29:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't know why, but this struck me as funny:

The proper use of Mace (or any defensive weapon)

1. Any weapon must be kept concealed from the attackers view until the exact moment of its usage. Keep it in your pocket, your purse, or palmed, but keep it concealed.

2. The attacker must be surprised by the presentation (snap it up).

3. The presentation must be forceful (punch it out), and use a good defensive stance (strong leg back).

4. Use multiple one-second bursts until the attackers back off (or go down).

5. Aim for the bridge of the nose, eyes, and mouth (use only CS and OC sprays). Spray in a circular pattern across the eyes, nose and mouth (mostly the eyes). The goal is for the chemical weapon to be inhaled by the attacker, and for the chemicals weapon to be sprayed into the attackers eyes.

6. Scream, or yell (“leave me alone –– get away –– help”) at the attacker while spraying.

7. Get away from the attack fast, and move when you spray, (it's tough for a blind man to chase you) MOVE –– MOVE –– MOVE.

8. Expect that you will get some Mace on you, and try to get exposed to some of it during a controlled training environment to experience its effects.

9. Once a canister has been used for self-defense, immediately discard it or use it for practice, but do not carry it for defense. Get a fresh unit to carry for defense.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:32:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Fox Green OC will fuck you up. That's what the cops need for those dirty hippies
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:48:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Fuck OC!
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:54:35 AM EDT
[#29]
When I was in the Corps I ran the gas chambers...

<––––-  NBC guy, now they call it CBRN.

Anyway OC sucks balls far worse than CS.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:56:47 AM EDT
[#30]
The only CS I ever took was in the Marine Corps gas chambers for training. It sucked, but I recovered rapidly once I was out in the fresh air.

OC, on the other hand, burnt like a bastard until I got my head underwater and applied the baby shampoo. Fresh air didn't do a damned thing for me. OC is persistent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top