Posted: 6/18/2002 9:57:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 1:02:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#3]
[traditionalist rant]
Those types of 'muzzleloaders' are just gimmicks so people can hunt into the 'muzzleloader' season that extends past the regular cartridge rifle season.  Go traditional.  Get you a caplock Hawkins or Pennsylvania or Kentucky rifle.  Heck, go real traditionalist like I did, and get a flintlock!  It's hella fun, but dirty as heck too!
[/traditionalist rant]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#4]
CVA Stalker 50 cal sidelock. It's fun to shoot, go ahead and take the plunge. [smoke]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:54:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[traditionalist rant]
Go traditional.  Get you a caplock Hawkins or Pennsylvania or Kentucky rifle.
[/traditionalist rant]
View Quote

i shoot a model 1861 springfield (enfields are good too) clone in .58 caliber. VERY satisfying. also very dirty. gentle blackpowder shove, resounding [b]BOOM![/b], immense cloud of smoke. downrange, the "big ol' chunk o' lead" goes "THWAP!" when it hits the berm. wonderful!

the springfield is a big rifle, and runs about $450. the sights are poor, you can't get .58 cal minie' bullets at wal-mart and you've absolutely got to keep it clean. but it's a beautiful piece, and it's got some history.

lady lurker uses a .50 cal hawken. i taught her to use minie' bullets instead of patched balls, and she says it's much more pleasant to shoot.

a further note i learned the hard way. if you reenact, you MUST use black powder. pyrodex does not burn well unless rammed.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I use a CVA Hawken .54 cal cap lock. Iron sights and Buffalo Bullets. I run 90 gr of ff powder and can keep 'em on the paper at 100 yds.

I like the double set trigger, nice clean break at about 4 lb. I wish more rifles had a double set trigger set up.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Got a .36cal squirrel rifle (sidelock percussion), what a hoot! If you miss, by the time you've reloaded the squirrel is usually looking around the tree trunk at you.

To do it again, I'd probably get a .32 cal though since the .36 is a bit much for squirrel.

Got a large doe w/ a .50 cal sidelock last season, 90 yards and a clean kill (literally knocked her off her feet).
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 1861 Springfield, also. When I pull the trigger on that puppy at the range, everyboby turns their heads. It  get way more "looks" than even my AR.

P.S. Lurker, what mould do you use? Right now I'm using a crappy lee mould that is way to undersized for my bore. Need a .579 sized minie. I have a Lyman lube/sizer, but need a good mould. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top