Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2002 5:22:42 PM EDT
[url]http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0617sexsurvey-ON.html[/url]

LOS ANGELES -- Seven Mesquite School parents whose children were given a controversial survey that asked questions of a sexual nature have filed a claim against Palmdale School District of the Antelope Valley, about 50 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles.

The survey had asked youngsters if they thought about having sex, if they thought about "touching other people's private parts" and if they didn't trust people because they might want sex.
View Quote

Trust? Wouldn't want them distrusting the no-willpower free sex crowd now, that wouldn't be tolerant.

Besides the sexually oriented questions, the survey also asked if the youngsters had bad dreams or nightmares, if they felt lonely or angry, or if "scary ideas or pictures just pop into my head."
View Quote

Nothing says "fedcoat brainwashing camp" like a good public school survey.

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#1]

[b]Prompted by parents' complaints, the district in January halted the survey that was administered to 13 third- and fifth-graders by a mental health therapist for her doctoral degree.[/b]

[b]At the time the survey was stopped, district officials said the director of psychological services had reviewed the questions prior to the survey and told the therapist to take out about a half-dozen questions he deemed inappropriate, but that this was not done.[/b]

the first question is: what in the hell was this doctoral student trying to understand? asking ten year olds if they think about touching other people's private parts? just sounds like dumb research to me.

the second question is: who are the morons on the instituional review board at the university that approved the research? (an IRB regulates research, and generally tries to cover the university's ass from litigation risk because of sloppy research that may be harmful to, in particular, vulnerable groups like children and minorities.) were these idiots asleep? sheeot, my research used white, wealthy adults and i still had to jump through tons of hoops making sure absolutely no harm could possibly some to them by my research.

morons, the lot of 'em.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Could be the start of another witch hunt.

But hell, Antelope Valley? Along with Simi Valley, I that that was the last bastion of conservatives in this stinkin' state.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The survey had asked youngsters if they thought about having sex,
View Quote

if they thought about "touching other people's private parts"
View Quote

and if they didn't trust people because they might want sex.
View Quote

... the survey also asked if the youngsters had bad dreams or nightmares,
View Quote

if they felt lonely or angry,
View Quote

or if "scary ideas or pictures just pop into my head."
View Quote

Think about what might be the motivation behind these questions? In other words, what kind of experience might later evoke these feelings or thought in a child?

Does it sound like they just might be trying to screen for sexual abuse of children?

Also, I believe California law requires that any kind of material involving sex education requires advance notice to the family and either requires their specific advance written consent or it's required that they have the opportunity to decline to have their child participate.

And doesn't any kind of medical/psychological interaction require the parent's informed consent (except for birth control and some psych which after a certain age they can get on their own without the parent's knowledge or consent)?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:23:48 AM EDT
[#4]

"the district in January halted the survey that was administered to 13 third- and fifth-graders by a mental health therapist [b]for her doctoral degree.[/b]"

So some perverted nutjob is using these kids as guinea pigs in her "study" for her doctoral dissertation.

Hell, this happens every day. Pubic School counselors are TRAINED to relentlessly and insidiously ask kids about their sexual thoughts (especially homosexual thoughts) and actions.

Even if the kids have never thought of having sexual feelings for members of the same sex, the counselor will "explore" further "just in case" there's any repressed or "shamed" latent homosexual feelings in your eight-year old child.

And if they don't have any, the "interview" is sure to plant those seeds of interest.

[b]Here's my wager:[/b]

This degenerate psycho-in-training is NOT charged with scientific misconduct (using children as subjects without their guardian's consent) and IS rewarded for her "important" work with a Doctoral degree.

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Some has got to teach them?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#6]
[b]Hell, this happens every day. Pubic School counselors are TRAINED to relentlessly and insidiously ask kids about their sexual thoughts (especially homosexual thoughts) and actions. [/b]

Hmm, went through 12 years of public school (I just finished my junior class of college), and never once had a counselor ask me about my orientation.  Scholarships? Sure.  College choice? Of course.

Sexual orientation?  Never.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
[b]Hell, this happens every day. Pubic School counselors are TRAINED to relentlessly and insidiously ask kids about their sexual thoughts (especially homosexual thoughts) and actions. [/b]

Hmm, went through 12 years of public school (I just finished my junior class of college), and never once had a counselor ask me about my orientation.  Scholarships? Sure.  College choice? Of course.

Sexual orientation?  Never.  
View Quote

Consider yourself fortunate.  All the schools in this area have to have a designate G/L/B "sensitive" counselor who is not a regular counselor but a teacher who wants the job of nurturing the little targets and making sure they know about all their "options".

Oh yeah, then there's "denim day" where everyone wears denims who is queer or thinks queer is great or OK or who doesn't want to be subjected to jeering, taunts, snide remarks,etc. E.G. "You're not wearing denims - you must be homophobic"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top