Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 6/17/2002 4:10:18 PM EDT
Anybody know what this is all about. Correct your vision without surgery. Is this a scam?
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:11:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:12:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:43:34 PM EDT
Wow--Increasing the flow of blood to your eye might help improve your vision!! I'm gonna run and put the tube of my shop vac up to my eyeball and make the blood really flow-- Just a minute. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . .kjsafjmjgfkjfdsjfjjfja;lksdjlkfsljkfj vmnvolhjaseoifmj jjsdkfd asjhelphelphelphekpImtoubhtyyping htis;;;;;pleaste dig my myeballsout of the shopvacbeforeyou take me to ths hospital111111
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:44:09 PM EDT
The only method I know of is Orthocarotology (sp?). Where hard contact are used to change the shape of your eye. I believe that you have to continue to wear "retainer" contacts at night to maintain the correction.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:11:21 PM EDT
All that sounds like a headache just waiting to happen. When I can't see clearly I just add another whiskey. That at least tends to make the womenz at the bar look a little better. [bounce]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:39:00 PM EDT
It would seem to make some sense to me, doing eye exercises I think would work. IT seems depending on the day, my vision increase and decrease.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:58:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JIMBEAM: The only method I know of is Orthocarotology (sp?). Where hard contact are used to change the shape of your eye. I believe that you have to continue to wear "retainer" contacts at night to maintain the correction.
View Quote
Yep, this is the method I've heard about.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:03:22 PM EDT
Shop-vac ... ooooohhh ... we're hitech now . To much electical noise to get 570KVI at work right now . I'm going through Rush withdrawals .
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:13:45 PM EDT
I'm not sure what method you heard about, but my gf is an occupational therapist at an "eye gym" and helps special needs kids with vision problems. She has told me that there are methods of reversing some nearsightedness, but I believe only if it has come on later in your life, or is not genetic. She needs corrective lenses to drive, but that condition only started in her late 20s. It's environmental and supposedly can be changed\reversed using some technique....kind of like exercises I suppose... I however am a -9 and was born with it (showed up in second grade) so the techinique will not work on me. Hell, even Lasik wont make a dent in my peepers..... --ZERO
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:57:38 PM EDT
I had heard that it was a scam. (As in "doesn't work").
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 7:11:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2002 7:12:27 PM EDT by scram]
Take Bilberry... in the herb section of your local well-stocked nutrition store. Stuff works great for me, especially when taken in the morning before a trip to the range. Seems to increase the sharpness of my vision. Of course, you'll still need your glasses or contacts. British WWII night bomber pilots used to take it before missions to increase their night-vision... I guess you could call it Gen -1 nightvision.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:33:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2002 8:52:32 PM EDT by levi]
It is not exactly a scam, but it is not a 100% guarantee either. This is a method of exercising the eyes, body and mind. Actually, the American Vision Institute AKA "SeeClearlyMethod" put out a booklet describing this (or a similar) method of exercising to help improve your vision years ago. I have the booklet in front of me, that I received from the American Vision Institute and it is post dated June 14, 1982. Wow.. that is twenty years ago almost to the day. I am browsing through it and it starts describing the most common types of eye problems, myopia, astigmatism, hyperopia, amblyopia, stablismus, presbyopia, cataracts and glaucoma. Then goes on to talk about the type of exercises such as cupping, quantum vison, near and far eye charts, sunning swings, victory chart,long swings, finger gate, blocking, eye stretching, accupressure, body stretching, breathing.... etc... where each exercise last for 5 or 10 minute duration. The booklet comes complete with eye charts as well. If you're wondering how my eyesight is after 20 years since I got this booklet..... I am blind as a bat! but in all fairness I never really followed the exercises. The cost of the booklet 20 years ago was $12.50. Now I believe they want about $240 for a video and CDROM. Here is the website, read the disclaimer at the bottom. http://www.seeclearlymethod.com/
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:48:08 PM EDT
240 bucks gets me a new pair of glasses. No headaches. Sheesh.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:53:58 PM EDT
AFARR, that shop vac thing was funny as hell. Had me resting my head on my desk from laughing so hard.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:05:24 PM EDT
It works on some conditions, but most people are too lazy to keep up with the exercises. For that matter, most are to lazy to wear glasses, when there is Lazer Surgery available.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:18:13 PM EDT
This actually does work. I have improved my vision for about two lines on a standard eye chart. The excercises are an extreme pain in the arss. There are about fifteen different excercises, most of which are pretty irritating. To get significant improvement, one needs to do about an hour of eye drills per day. I do about half an hour a day and finish dizzy as hell. I can't keep up with the drills for more than a month. Its just to annoying.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:40:02 PM EDT
I think it's a technique that works a little and of course some big thinking greedy s.o.b. has went out an got some spokeswomen (can't remember her name)to toute it as a cure all. According to the ads on TV you can throw your glasses away for good. I doubt it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:50:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By scram: Take Bilberry... in the herb section of your local well-stocked nutrition store. Stuff works great for me, especially when taken in the morning before a trip to the range. Seems to increase the sharpness of my vision. Of course, you'll still need your glasses or contacts. British WWII night bomber pilots used to take it before missions to increase their night-vision... I guess you could call it Gen -1 nightvision.
View Quote
I took bilberry daily for about a year.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:50:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Imbroglio: I took bilberry daily for about a year.
View Quote
Yeah, I remember him. He's the guy with the overbite. Right?
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:09:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JIMBEAM: The only method I know of is Orthocarotology (sp?). Where hard contact are used to change the shape of your eye. I believe that you have to continue to wear "retainer" contacts at night to maintain the correction.
View Quote
Jim, I have used this. IT WORKS!! Typically, a person wears the contacts when sleeping, takes them out in the morning. It is a nice alternative to having your eyes sliced/lazerisd. They are also finding that the hard contacts, and now some soft contacts work for people that had a bad experience with Lasik. I am one of these people. Currently I am wearing special soft contacts for 30 minutes per night (prior to bed) to correct "islands" that happened with my Lasik procedure. Again, I recommend one goes to [url=http://www.surgicaleyes.com]Sugical Eyes[/url] to be well informed.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 10:20:11 AM EDT
I think I will keep my glasses.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:10:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Guzzler:
Originally Posted By JIMBEAM: They are also finding that the hard contacts, and now some soft contacts work for people that had a bad experience with Lasik. I am one of these people. Currently I am wearing special soft contacts for 30 minutes per night (prior to bed) to correct "islands" that happened with my Lasik procedure.
View Quote
Guzzler, could you tell a little more about your experience with Lasik? I'm looking into the procedure for the very near future, and I'd like to konw what went wrong with yours. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:37:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 3:17:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HKocher: Guzzler, could you tell a little more about your experience with Lasik? I'm looking into the procedure for the very near future, and I'd like to konw what went wrong with yours. Thanks.
View Quote
Well, basiclly three things happened. 1. The surgen didn't measure my pupils properly. My eyes dialate larger than the flap. Hence I get the "star bust" effect. My normal doctor that referred me to the surgen is MAJORLY pissed at the surgen for this. It was noted in my chart the size of my dialation. There are different size keratones (slicers), he grabbed the wrong one. 2. When the laser was applied it didn't quite smooth things out as well as others. The only hypothosis is that I was to good of a patient. Both the surgen and my doctor (who watched the whole procedure) were amazed at how well I was able to stay focused at the dot. I didn't flinch at all. Most people have a natural tendancy to "wiggle" their eyes when staring at a point. Most of the surgens have adapted to the problem. I threw a wrentch in the system by being a perfect patient. 3. I worked on computers. By working with computers, one tends to stare at the screen and blink less, which dries out the eyes. This doesn't help the healing process. Now they are finding that dry eyes do heal the flap faster, but it causes wrinkles. So now I have a "ghosts" when I read text. Because the cornea isn't perfectly smooth, I have bumps that warp things. It is really noticable with a red dot sight. The dot is no longer a perfectly round dot, it is like a really small comet with a tail. I really should have gone with the PRK instead of the LASIK. It has a higher sucess rate, although a bit longer healing time. Well because of this, I have been a guinea pig for the ZWave contacts and other manufactures. The contacts have made a difference, slowly. We (my doctor and I) have been working and documenting the process of different contacts and what the do. We try a contact for a bit, take cornea maps, compare, and then go without contacts, to see if it holds or requires continued wearing. We are noticeing a trend that with the abnomallies of LASIK that the contacts will push things around and they stay put. Which is a good thing. But this only is working with the abmonallies. People who use the Wave and Zwave contacts without LASIK, PRK, RK, must continue to wear the contacts through their life, or the cornea will revert to it's orginal shape. So look for a doctor that offers Wave or Zwave contacts and talk to them. It is a safer alternate than being zapped or sliced. But remember, you vision maybe to far gone to use these contacts. Now going back to the orginal question about the eye exercises... bunk.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 3:47:43 PM EDT
I had Radial Keratotemy (RK) surgery about 5 years ago, shortly before Lasik was legalized. It seems that I was a good candidate, so I took the plunge. My vision before the surgery was about 20/2000 left and 20/2400 right. I had my eyes done about a month apart to make sure things were going right and they did. Did my left (non-primary) eye first with immediate results of 20/15! A month later, my right eye had a nice 20/15! The drawbacks...I had terrible night vision for the first 6 months, lots of 4 or 6 pointed stars because of 4 slits on the left eye and 6 slits on the right. That settled down QUITE a bit and rarely bothers me anymore. They are NOT really slits, but very shallow lacerations which allow the cornea to fill-out the sides and heal that way. Now, five years later, I still have about 20/20 vision in both eyes. Vision is DEFINITELY better in the daylight when the pupils are smaller (so the scars dont intrude into the field of vision)...My night vision (large pupil stuff) could be better, but I am still very happy with the results =) Lasik gives me the heebie-jeebies...They actually cut a flap around the cornea, lift it up out of the way, and laser-off some layer(s) of corneal tissue, then cover it back up with the flap. This allows the cornea to have a lower profile and improved focal length... Good thing is, the doctor will give you ALL sorts of sedatives if you get creeped-out by it!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 3:54:41 PM EDT
Guzzler, thanks for sharing your experiences. I checked out that website, scary stuff indeed! I'm going to think about it for some time, but I eventually have to do something to improve my vision.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 7:26:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HKocher: Guzzler, thanks for sharing your experiences. I checked out that website, scary stuff indeed! I'm going to think about it for some time, but I eventually have to do something to improve my vision.
View Quote
No problem. I enjoy sharing my experiences. The better informed one is, the better decision one can make. Remember... ALOT of people come out with perfect eyes. 20/15 with no aborations what so ever. But... you takes your chances. Now there is talk of a new laser system that does the same type of work as LASIK without the flap. It lazes the inner layers of the cornea. It is supposed to be good for correcting people with problems with RK, LASIK. I don't have much information about this system, yet ;)
Top Top