Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2002 3:54:55 PM EDT

A TEAM of physicists at the Australian National University announced on Monday that they had successfully dismantled a laser beam in one location and rebuilt it in a different spot about 3 feet (1 meter) away in the blink of an eye.
      Project leader Ping Koy Lam said there was a close resemblance between what his team had achieved and the movement of people in the science-fiction series “Star Trek,” but reality was still light-years away from beaming human beings between locations.
      “In theory, there is nothing stopping us from doing it, but the complexity of the problem is so huge that no one is thinking seriously about it at the moment,” Lam told a news conference.
      Lam said science was not too far from being able to teleport solid matter from one location to another.
      “My prediction is ... it will probably be done by someone in the next three to five years — that is, the teleportation of a single atom,” said Lam, who has worked on teleporting since 1997
View Quote

[url]http://www.msnbc.com/news/768248.asp?0dm=C12LT[/url]

Totally cool huh,

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Not real new.  Read about something where they transported a molecule or something a couple years ago.  Problem is the fact that computers are nowhere fast enough to be able to do people yet.

They needed to be like a thousand times faster...

At the time I think what everyone was drooling over was a 1 gig processor so use your best estimation...

I figure 25 to 50 years from now teleportation will be the new way to travel...just would hate to the first test subjects, or see what they look like after their teleported.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Teleportation distrubs me as a way to travel.  All the science fiction I've read basically states that the original is dismantled and destroyed and an exact copy is rebuilt at the other end.  What appears at the destination is NOT the original; but an exact copy with all your thoughts and experiences and just takes your life on a go forward basis at the new place.  I think I'll hold off on teleportation for a while.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not real new.  Read about something where they transported a molecule or something a couple years ago.  Problem is the fact that computers are nowhere fast enough to be able to do people yet.

At the time I think what everyone was drooling over was a 1 gig processor so use your best estimation...

I figure 25 to 50 years from now teleportation will be the new way to travel...just would hate to the first test subjects, or see what they look like after their teleported.
View Quote

thats why you use cadavers and then move on to smaller animals such as mice, the cats, then dogs, the people
View Quote

Deep down, I know flying is safe.  I know the odds of me crashing into a mountain are remote.  I know people have been flying planes for years.  But you know what?  I don't like to fly and I'll only fly when driving isn't an option...

Same goes for teleportation.  You could use all the cadavers, mice, bugs, dogs and whatever but I tell you this...the first humans are still going to be scared shitless...not to mention all the woops, that wasn't supposed to happen.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#7]
If it comes to pass, it'll either be banned or strictly controlled by the government.
It has the potential of giving people way to much freedom of movement, for any gubmint to tolerate.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I can picture Scotty banging his console with his fist as the teleportation stops half-way "Damn blue screen!!!"
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah lets just hope the OS isn't windows , and the code for the teleporter isn't JAVA.

I can see it now.

Unbeknownst to Robert the new teleport operator, his teleport program was written in Java, and the they still hadn't solved that particular problems with Java classes disappearing. "Hey, Where did she GO??"

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#10]
That would give a whole new meaning to the term "Dreaded Blue Screen of Death", yeah it would suck to have a system crash while you were in route from one transporter to the other.

Picture some poor low paid transporter company employee punching the delete key by accident while you were in the viod.

If your into this sort of stuff Benny, Then I gotta recomend the book "the Light of Other Days" by Arthur C. Clark and Stephen Baxter, it's easily the best work Clark has had his name attached to since "2001" and "Rendevous With Rama".

In "Light of Other Days" Scientists invent the Worm Cam, a Camera that pokes though Quantum Foam, to open small micron sized lens holes in first space and then Time itself.

Imagine for a moment, that you could spend a million dollars and open up a micro camera hole in O.J. Simpson's ex-wife's court yard on the night of the murder, or in the basement of Jon Benet Ramsey's home. Crimes of steath as we know them would be over. pravacy would be a thing of the past for both individuals and goverments.

And of course, the churches would be shaking in fear, as the possibility of taking the Worm Cam back to the founding moments of each religion becomes possible.

You would love this book Benny.

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I know people have their problems with Disney, but anyone else been on the "Alien Encounter"?

I knew it wasent real & the first time I went on it, I just about crapped my pants [shock].
I think I'll hold off on the teleportation as well.

echo6
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#12]
ALright first things first..

If my name must be Benny, then it is usually followed by HA HA so that it ends up, BENNY HA HA . which is a slight alteration of the creek MINI HA HA Creek near Canton Oklahoma...

Now then, I have read many of Author C. Clarkes books.... 2001,2010,2061,9 billion names of god, etc... Clark is my Favorite SF author besides Asimov.... I have read Rama but it has been years ago...

Ben
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting, very interesting.

Now we must await the 'acid' test.  When the world's major religions oppose this idea I'll know the idea is good !
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't think we are going to get teleportation of matter any time soon. For one thing have you checked the POWER requirements on this experiment? Teleporting bigger loads can only require MORE power.

Its kind of like fusion. Which we can prove happens and do all the time in lab experiments-and in H-bombs-but do we have industrial fusion power yet? No, and no one can tell us when we will-although in theory there is nothing stopping us.

However, this would make for some VERY fast data networks. You only need to be able to teleport photons or electrons to transmit data signals. Conventional evesdropping or jamming wouldn't work-band width should be close to infinite.

The big stumbling block to transporting living beings, even if you could teleport matter in general, is the complexity of the human brain. How do you capture the exact position of every atom of brain chemicle, the exact position of every electrical current that was moving at the moment of capture?

Teleportation of matter, just raw material, would be useful enough if they can swing it. Space is full of raw materials we could use, but getting them down to Earth is a bitch. As hard as it is to lift stuff into orbit from here, its even HARDER to get any significant quatities of material down. The amount of cargo the Space Shuttle can land with is a fraction of its already limited take off payload, something like a quarter or a fifth. Anything more and it cant slow itself down enough and risks burning up on reentry.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#16]
If they ever pull it off the initial uses will be for military and law enforcement. It would be nice to have now--would sure make it easier to find and eliminate terrorists.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Look out guns!  You could just beam a bullet to the heart..
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#19]

BTW, didn't the first Star Trek movie start out with the teleporters screwing up and Bones having a hissy fit about being beamed up right after the accident?
View Quote

Yup... the 1st movie..  Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Two people died.

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#20]
What if you could just open a worm hole directly to the molten core of the earth and suck the heat into a sort of worm hole reactor power source that would in turn power the worm hole generator?
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I sure hope they can perfect it in my lifetime, but not till I retire.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Australia Has Teleportation Breakthrough
Scientists Teleport Laser Beam; Not Quite a 'Star Trek' Transporter...Yet

By Belinda Goldsmith
Reuters

CANBERRA (June 17) - In a world breakthrough out of the realms of Star Trek, scientists in Australia have successfully teleported a laser beam of light from one spot to another in a split second but warn: don't sell the car yet.

A team of physicists at the Australian National University announced on Monday they had successfully disembodied a laser beam in one location and rebuilt it in a different spot about one meter away in the blink of an eye.

Project leader Dr Ping Koy Lam said there was a close resemblance between what his team had achieved and the movement of people in the science fiction series Star Trek but reality was still light years off beaming human beings between locations.

"In theory there is nothing stopping us from doing it but the complexity of the problem is so huge that no one is thinking seriously about it at the moment," Lam told a news conference.

However Lam said science was not too far from being able to teleport solid matter from one location to another.

"My prediction is...it will probably be done by someone in the next three to five years, that is the teleportation of a single atom," said Lam, who has worked on teleporting since 1997.

But he said humans posed a near-impossible task as we are made up of zillions of atoms -- quantified by a one with 27 zeroes -- so forget Star Trek where the Starship Enterprise crew step into a transporter, vaporize, then re-assemble elsewhere.

The laser beam was destroyed during teleporting which is achieved using a process known as quantum entanglement.

However the breakthrough opens up enormous possibilities for future super-fast and super-secure communications systems, such as quantum computers over the next decade.

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#23]
WORLD RACE

Physicists believe quantum computers could outperform classical computers with enormous memory and the ability to solve problems millions of times faster.

Teleportation became one of the hottest topics among physicists in quantum mechanics in the past decade, after the IBM lab in the United States provided theoretical underpinning for the work in 1993. Since then about 40 laboratories globally have been experimenting in this area.

Although teams in California and Denmark were the first to do preliminary work on teleportation, the ANU team of scientists from Australia, Germany, France, China and New Zealand was the first to achieve a successful trial with 100 percent reliability.

The idea is if quantum particles like electrons, ions, and atoms have the same properties, they are essentially the same.

So if the properties of quantum particles making up an object are reproduced in another particle group, there would be a precise duplication of the object, so only information about the particles' properties need be transmitted, not the particles.

The inability to pass the information reliably has been a major stumbling block in past "entanglement" experiments.

ANU team member Warwick Bowen said they first successfully teleported a laser beam on May 23 to their great surprise, and repeated the success time after time in following weeks using their small-car-sized transporter, ironing out certain glitches.

"Even in Star Trek they realize there are problems with teleportation," Bowen told the news conference.

"It is such a complicated experiment that nobody knows whether their particular set-up is going to work until you do it....and it turns out our system is very good."

06/17/02 03:19 ET

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Future military applications:

[img]http://members.aol.com/Spires05/TR116.jpg[/img]
Details:
[url]http://members.aol.com/Spires05/rifle.htm[/url]

Fritz
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#25]
So let me get this strait:

You basically have a people photo copier?  So you could make a duplicate to save the original?  How about the flesh traders in Amsterdam?  
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#26]
This technology will never be applicable to human sized (or even bb sized) items.  Teleportaional experiments take advantage of quantum mechanical phenomenon which are not really applicable to more than a few atoms.  This is old news, people have already teleported molecules.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not real new.  Read about something where they transported a molecule or something a couple years ago.
View Quote

No, not yet. Just particles. Quantum Tunneling of single photons has been performed numerous times. You can even duplicate the phenomenon in your home with relatively inexpensive equipment.

This experiment is unique because they said the message was encoded. The article does not go into the detail of the encoding.
The article also overuses the term "teleportation". Teleportation implies the transporting of matter not media.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
From what I've heard the problem isn't so much the lack of speed, but rather the lack of [b]memory[/b].  To encode the quantum state of every atom of a human being is mind-boggling.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
From what I've heard the problem isn't so much the lack of speed, but rather the lack of [b]memory[/b].  To encode the quantum state of every atom of a human being is mind-boggling.
View Quote

You may be correct, this is something a long time back and I remember now it being one of those tiny blurbs in Newsweek or some similar magazine.  Kind of like the NRA mags giving a little information about certain products.  Was maybe 3 or 4 paragraphs...I believe there was something mention about processing the information fast however the memory aspect sounds very familiar as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top