Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2002 3:41:44 PM EDT
Looking for experiences with glueless laminate flooring.  My wife wants it in a bad way for the dining room.  Three that I've looked at and brought home samples are shaw, armstrong and pergo.  Anyone have pros/cons?
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Put it down last Christmas.  It's as good as you can imagine.  Pergo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The wife and I just got done putting Shaw flooring in the living room, dining room, kitchen and entry room.  It IS great stuff.  I recommend using the quiet step underlayment which is put out by Pergo.  It's thicker and seems like it would last better than the Shaw stuff.  Enjoy! [8D]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Put it down last Christmas.  It's as good as you can imagine.  Pergo.
View Quote

Had you ever done it before, or are you a contractor?? I am looking to do the same to my house but I haven't started cause I don't want to blow $1000 on ruining my house [:D]
View Quote

I am not a carpenter/contractor.  My wife and I did it.  If you are careful and can exercise patience, you can do a professional job.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#5]
If you install it yourself make sure that your floor is PERFECTLY flat and level.  You can see any little rise or dip in the surface when it is all done.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife and I are still trying to decide between glued and glueless laminate flooring. We've narrowed the choices down to:

[b]A[/b]) Pergo Select. This is a glued together floor that is commonly considered to have the most durable surface. The glued seams are far more resistant to intrusion by liquid spilled onto the floor.

[b]B[/b]) Witex glueless laminate flooring. The primary advantages being easier installation and we are told that the core material used in it's construction is far less absorbent of moisture than most other brands.

We are leaning more towards the Witex.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you install it yourself make sure that your floor is PERFECTLY flat and level. You can see any little rise or dip in the surface when it is all done.

One of the main reasons people install this type of flooring is so you don't have to do all the extra prep work that would be involved in installing other types of floors. These floors are laminate floating floors that are put over a thin foam type cushion, the reason for this is so it can cover up most imperfections in your floor you are covering which in turn they hide just about anything unless you have a really bad hump or dip in the floor.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess maybee our floor was more uneven than most then because we had to plane it in many areas to get the flooring to set right.  OK no flames but I do live in a doublewide. [8D]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]
 [url]www.floorshop.com[/url] Cheapest Pergo so far.  [url]www.ifloor.com[/url]  Witex and others, prices vary but they have places in Washington state for pick up so no freight charge, of course in state pickup requires sales tax.
 From what I can gather the Armstrong is a fiber core like the Witex.  Right now I have samples of Armstrong, Shaw, and Pergo soaking in water.  The Pergo joint soaked up water right away while the other two beaded it off pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I have tried both glue and glueless, and had great results.  It was my first time when I tried the glue type (pergo). The second time I used the pergo glueless and it was even easier.
I helped a buddy install it in his rec room, but he went with a cheaper (pergo is getting a little pricey) no-name product and it turned out great too. So depending on where you plan on putting it you can save some money if you shop around. I have even installed it in the kitchen, about the only place you cannot put it is in the bathroom!
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#12]
About 5 years ago my parents had that laminate floating floor stuff arjohnson described installed, and if you ask me, it sucks. It's easy to clean, looks nice, but it amplifies the sound of every step you take. It feels cheap when you walk on it. And they had a pro do the installation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top