Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2002 6:32:42 PM EDT
My father has this old antique hutch/credenza and I believe it's very valuable but need to know how to identify it for him..  He's on social security and if it's as valuable as I think, it'll give him a real boost...  Anyone know of any sites that may be able to ID this?[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=bigyeti&album_id=76841&image_id=44¶m=26496[/img]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#1]
My nuts are pretty old but they could hardly be considered antiques.....(sorry I couldn't resist).....[:D] Nice piece of furniture.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I would call it a Rennaisance Revival sideboard, circa 1870. Most likely walnut, but hard to tell from a photo so small.
Without seeing it in person, I would guess American manufacture, but possibly English or German.
Value depends on what part of the country you sell it in, and whether it goes at private sale, auction, or to a dealer.
Anywhere between $1000-$3000.
Do NOT refinish it........original finish improves value.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Start by removing all items from it. Then carefully look it over, in detail from top to bottom, inside and out for a name or company stamp on it. Some form of identifying mark.

You can't lug that thing all over the place, and some dealers will under price a high dollar item, so you'll sell it to them cheap.

Your best bet, and you clearly have access to the internet, is to do your best to ID it on some level, so you have a starting point. Check it out, and see if there's a name or logo on it. Let us know if you turn anything up, might be able to point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Find out when Antique's Roadshow is going to be near you and try to get your appraisal televised like those old ladies who say, "OH MY GOODNESS!" when the appraisor tells them their old thimble is worth $100,000.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]
We've searched it over well and I don't believe there's a mark on it..  I tried some Antique BBS but most of them were only posted to about once a month..  Here's a pic of one of the legs[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=bigyeti&album_id=76841&image_id=45¶m=75001[/img]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm, I would not say ren revival, but probably mid 19th century european walnut. Price, depending on several factors, 2000-5000$.

-legrue

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll give you $50.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll give you $50.
View Quote
Fifty bucks! It's not worth that much but I'll give ya Sixty cause I need  a place in the garage to keep my paint cans and crap.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy it off of him Bigyeti, but keep the heirlooms in the family.

Ben
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top