User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
....not many units done.... but chugging along....

View Quote

Yeah, me too.  My laptop now is pretty fast, but units are still taking me forever.  
View Quote

Are you using the graphical 'screen saver' version or the command line version?  Command line will shave a fair amount of time off your WU's and lets you use nifty toys to monitor progress and cache WU's so you don't wait to connect for a new WU...

If you need, I'll post the links and a quick how-to on setup...

Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#2]
talk to me about running Command Line version...

I'm running the screensaver version on 2 win2k machines and 1 winXPpro.  and they always run in the background.  I look at the command line page @seti and [whacko]  I could appreciate shaving some time off my work units [:)]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 4:21:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
talk to me about running Command Line version...

I'm running the screensaver version on 2 win2k machines and 1 winXPpro.  and they always run in the background.  I look at the command line page @seti and [whacko]  I could appreciate shaving some time off my work units [:)]
View Quote

Ok... here we go...

I'm using SETI command line, SETI Driver, and SETI Spy.  

SETI Driver allows you to cache WU's and monitor progress.  When I was running SETI big time on 2 dual PIII's I'd cache 50 to 60 WU's so my machines never stopped.  A plus if there is ever another outage like last year!

Command line and Driver will normally shave major time... as a test I used the graphical interface on a P4 machine, then used the command line on the same machine.  The graphical took 6.50 hours, the command line took 5.0... command line is well worth it, except no more pretty graphics.

SETI Spy isn't necessary, it's a neat toy for monitoring progress of a WU, reading results, tracking personal and team stats, etc.

To use SETI command line, first allow the graphical version to complete it's WU but don't allow it to download another...

Command line is placed in its own folder, along with SETI Driver and SETI Spy if you chose to use it.  I'd recommend using the Driver so you're able to track completion times and cache WU's.

Running Win2k and XPPro this is the command line version you'll need:

[url]ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/setiathome/setiathome-3.03.i386-winnt-cmdline.exe[/url]

SETI Driver looks like this:

[img]www.wakeassoc.com/setidriver/SETI_Driver.gif[/img]

Download it here:

[url]www.wakeassoc.com/setidriver/SETIDriver.zip[/url]

On first run, double click SETI Driver and it will start the command line.  Decide how many WU's you'd like (cache), check off display transmit, fill in your proxy info if necessary.  When you start Driver, you'll see an old DOS box pop open, follow the onscreen prompts and tell it you have an existing account, etc.  It will begin to download WU's and start working.  A note:  SETI Driver will only save your setup by right clicking the icon in the task bar and selecting 'save'... forget the radio button in the interface...

An explanation of the GUI interface:

[url]www.wakeassoc.com/setidriver/gui_interface.htm[/url]

When command line has finished a WU, it will begin another.  You can set it for auto transmit or manual.  I set it for manual to monitor the transmit...

If you're interested, SETI Spy is a great option when running SETI.  I've tried quite a few of the monitoring proggies, but this one is the best...

You can read about it here:

[url]personalwebs.myriad.net/roelof/setispy[/url]

Screen shot:

[img]personalwebs.myriad.net/roelof/setispy/mainscreen.gif[/img]

Download it here: 664k

[url]pages.tca.net/roelof/setispy/SetiSpy.zip[/url]

SETI Spy can be configured to start and stop SETI Driver so if you use Spy you'll only need one shortcut.

Configuration information on SETI Spy found here: [url]personalwebs.myriad.net/roelof/setispy/faq.htm[/url]

FAQ 2.13 How do I set up SETI Spy so that it works with SETI Driver? will give you the setup info.

Seems like a bit of a pain, but the time reduction in WU's is worth it.  

Give me a shout if you run into problems or have more questions!

Darryl

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 4:32:36 AM EDT
[#4]
cool!

thanks for the info, I'll digest this later today after work and let ya'll know what happens

[:)]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 4:42:32 AM EDT
[#5]
TEAM GLOCKTALK OWNS YOU

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_145414.html
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 5:44:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
TEAM GLOCKTALK OWNS YOU

[url]http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_145414.html[/url]
View Quote

Why the hell are your processors so slow?  95 hours/WU?  That is Atari 2600 speed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 5:49:52 AM EDT
[#7]
4324 hours/253 units (older Pentium 3)
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 6:02:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
TEAM GLOCKTALK OWNS YOU

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_145414.html
View Quote

yeah, well glocktalk may "own" us via seti, but we have 'em on Quality, and better overall weapons [:P]

[}:D]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Speaking of SETI outages...

there is one right now [:(]

at least I got all my graphical versions to stop!

only 1 has uploaded the last WU.

I've got the CommandLine on the machines, but cant go further than that at this time [:(]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 6:14:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I noticed earlier tonight the server was quite slow... Glad you've got the command line and SETI Driver ready to go.  Let me know how it works out... [;)]

We should see if a Mod will tack this thread up for a time or actually GIVE the Team AR15 SETI a forum of their own... great way to get more people interested.  Then we stomp GlockTalk...[bounce]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I am working on unit 84. Averaging around ten to twelve hours recently. (I am usually listening to music [b]AND[/b] playing games when I am not online. I play StarCraft (and Brrod War), Star Trek Armada and Armada II, Emporer: Battle for Dune, Dune 2000, Star Trek: New Worlds, Star Trek StarFleet Command, Star Trek: StarFleet Academy, Eight Legged Freaks, or You Don't Know Jack, Jack II, or Jack Four: the Ride. Most of those games (except Eight Legged Freaks), when combined with Windoze Media Player, tend to slow me down. I have a AMD AthlonXP 1600+ processor and I am running Windoze XP.....

[:D]

Scott

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Humbly requested a SETI spot so we can communicate easier... we'll see...

[url]forums.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=2&t=14689[/url]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven’t done SETI in about 2 years. Found my passwords for 2 accounts, SSD(6th) and SSD-2(14th) have been added, now part of the team. now 34 menbers.

I’ll start it up again. Guess I could fire up the Compaq server also.

[b]SNorman[/b]

...especially since SETI will never find anything.
View Quote

that is the point.[:)]

SSD
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#14]
If you are not already doing SETI, think about signing up and joining Team AR15. If you are doing SETI, but not on a team, think about joining us. If your work unit is the one that they find a Klingon baseball game in, you get recognition and mentioned and stuff.....

Scott

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the help DarkStar..

I got the commmand line version up and running now [:)]

SetiSpy is pretty cool too..

I'f you're running seti, and don't care about the graphic interface, the steps DarkStar posted above are just the thing!

thanks  [:)]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top