Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2002 7:58:06 AM EDT
I finally got to get out and shoot yesterday for the first time in a long time.  I went to a somewhat local outdoor range outside of town that is an oldtimers gun club.

During my time at that range, it was quite apparent to me that the "old guys" at the range were annoyed with my AR.  This is my NB preban that I bought, so I was sighting it in.  No rapid fire or double taps, or any other kind of action which would attract negative attention.  I don't wear BDUs or anything like that when I shoot, so I should have not been too out of the ordinary.

I heard many rumblings about the "blast" of my rifle, the spent shells ejecting, "this is ruining my day", and other infantile whining.

Do you all encounter this kind of behavior when you uncase your beauty?
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  I think every range has its share of old timers who think that anything but a bolt action sucks.  I also get a kick out of the gun snobs that have their noses so high in the air that they don't notice, or care, what anyone else is shooting.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Just bring out a case of geritol with you and you won't have any more problems.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I never shoot at the ranges, unless it's the location of a training course.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#5]
All I can say is that there are other ARs on my range so I never get stared at no matter what configuration AR comes out of my case... but when I snap in that Beta C Mag all the gawkers come out of the woodwork.

Heard an onld guy say one time:
"What the hell do you need a 100 round magazine for?"
In my typical smart ass self I said:
"In case ze Germans show up"
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
All I can say is that there are other ARs on my range so I never get stared at no matter what configuration AR comes out of my case... but when I snap in that Beta C Mag all the gawkers come out of the woodwork.

Heard an onld guy say one time:
"What the hell do you need a 100 round magazine for?"
In my typical smart ass self I said:
"In case ze Germans show up"
View Quote

You should have asked him about his 30-06 bolt deer rifle:  "what do you need a sniper rifle for?"  Reminding someone that "THEY" will be coming for their deer rifle eventually tends to shut them up.

But seriously, if people are staring and making comments, do what I do.  Invite them to shoot your AR.  Most haven't even seen one in person, so when they get to shoot it and see that it really isn't an "Evil Black Rifle", you've got a convert.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Yes!, I've had everything from "Wow Cool!!" to "G*d D%$m Ass-ult Rifles...WHO Would need something like that!" to the "Old Bolt Farts" whining about "You can't hit nothing with them anyways!"
If I'm in a good mood, I just answer the nice one's ignore the bitchy ones and play nice. If I'm just not in the mood for crap, I'll..
(a.) Ping them in the head with My hot brass, while I tear out the center of My target.
(b.) Wait and shoot just as they get ready to take Their shot.
(c.) >My Favorite!< Wait and let them shoot for a little while, till They think I'm going to stop. Then Pull out one of My .50BMG bolt guns and CLEAR THEIR TABLE! Then look over and say(In a smiling face.) "Gee!, You're right! Bolt actions are a lot of fun! Aren't They!  [}:D]

Doin' My Best to "Spread The Love!",

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#9]
DJK is right!  Offer them the opportunity to shoot you AR---you'll not only make a new friend, but another "convert"!  
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I shoot one of the regular ARs and if I get any weird looks then I pull out the AR-10T. After a few shots of that they ignore the little ones.

One time I was shooting my Colt HBAR 20" at some targets on the 100 yd. range. One of the guys to my left, who was shooting a bolt action, came over and asked me if how I liked my AR. After I told him, he said, "Have you ever thought about getting something with a little more punch." I picked up my rifle case, opened it up, pulled out the two piece AR-10T, and put it together. His eyes were wide open when he saw the barrel. I just smiled and said, "That's what this is for." We talked about it a little and then he went back to shooting.

I shoot mostly at a private range now. I still occasionally get some funny looks but not too often. I think you mostly just make them nervous.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I get funny looks all the time. But then, whenever I go to the range I wear nothing but combat boots, bdu pants, war paint, and some leather tassles tied around my biceps. Also, I do nothing but bump fire from the hip.

[img]http://www.ultimatewarrior.com/UW2b.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't get eyeballed because I shoot where the only eyeballs are mine and those belonging to people I invite.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a similar experience.I guess if I don't show up with a politically correct weapon I'm not welcome at the range Fxxx the snobbery an the half whits at the Pyramid Shooting Range North of Reno....nuff said
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#14]
If you would stop looking around to see if everyone is noticing you and your AR and how cool you think you look, then you would not have this problem.
Go to the range and just shoot the damn gun.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Not at my range. Black rifles are the norm, not the exception here.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, black rifles are the norm at my range too.  The ones that get attention are some of the class 3 collectors - the guy with clip fed Jap machineguns, the 08/15's, M-60's, etc.  Plain old M-16's don't get much of a second glance.

I get the eyeball effect when I drag my Newton rifles, Remington 30-S, deathdealer Ross Mk 10, or that ladder site Winchester mod 52 or the like out to the range.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I got "the eyeball" once - when I put down the AR to switch to my trusty Red Ryder.

Poor old girl couldn't make it 50 yards. :(

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Hahaha that reminds me of a friend of mine who got kicked out of a snobby, expensive range in St. Louis for shooting too fast-- with a bolt-action VZ24 mauser!

No I'm not making this up!
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I get eyeballed. If anyone approaches me or shows any interest I invite them to empty a mag. They usually accept. But I usually have to show them how to safely operate the weapon. Black rifles are a mystery to most shooters at my range.

Everyone who accepts my offer leaves smiling.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you would stop looking around to see if everyone is noticing you and your AR and how cool you think you look, then you would not have this problem.
View Quote

I'll excuse this comment knowing that it came from someone who doesn't know me and obviously missed the point of this thread.  I rarely get the time to go to the range, so when I do it IS to shoot.  I merely heard a few grumblings from "the peanut gallery" at the local range, and thought it would make for good conversation here.  

No matter how open minded we HOPE that fellow gun owners are, I think most people here can acknowledge that our rifles still raise an eyebrow here and there.  Some places, like the ONE I have available to me here, are mostly frequented by benchrest shooters and guys sighting in their hunting rifles.  I know that some ranges are mostly visited by AR owners, but not where I live.

Take Care...
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

They should admire my AR & my VAST COOLNESS without drawing my attention!
[:D]
Really tho, those hicks can gawk and wonder how to put wood stocks on it to make it into "a good deer gun" all they want!
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#23]
most of the time its people asking  hows it shoot?
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, I've certainly had that happen to me enough times.  We call it the OGWBGS or "Old Guy with Bolt Gun Syndrome" They often times snicker and ask "why would you want that?"  I love to remind them what the 2nd ammendment is for. " Because I'm part of the civilian militia dumbass you gonna go to war with that?"  I especially love it when I can group better at 100yds. w/ a 16" barrel and surplus ammo than they can with their "custom" handloads and their purty bolt rifle.  :-)
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Ah yes, range snobs.  Aren't they the best?  I encountered some at the ISRA range in IL last summer.

A friend and I had already set up at the 100 yard range, siting in our FAL clones, and chronographing loads.  We were all alone until a group of small bore shooters arrived.  The first bunch took positions on our left and laid mats down just ahead of the benches (we were using the benches).  They really didn't bother us and one of them struck up casual conversation (he had a nice .22 Mauser).  

A new smallbore group shows up and takes positions on our right.  Since we were on the benches just right of center, these smallbore shooters couldn't get that far away.  So when they set up on the concrete in front of the benches, they're right in my brass ejection pattern and muzzle blast.  For this, I got dirty looks as they began tacking up targets and laying out their .22LR whizguns (seriously, some didn't even look like firearms).  My partner turns to me and says "Looks like the bowling league is here."  (no offense to any bowlers here)

Well, the capper to all this was when everyone was finished setting up targets, I called the line hot.  The guys to the left all had their ears on.  But upon checking the bowling league, I noticed this woman sitting there with earmuffs in hand.  

I make eye contact with her and yell out "Lines hot, Ears."  

She stares back at me as if I'm speaking Swahili (I wasn't).  I shrug, snap in a full magazine, and hit the bolt release.  

My partner says "She doesn't have her ears on."

"Not for long" I tell him and squeeze the trigger.  WHAM!!!  I glance over and see the woman whip here earmuffs on while glaring at me.  Wench.

Sadly, my partner has experienced such odd behavior from the bowling league before.

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#27]
DF,

I DID feel a sense of smug satisfaction at making her day.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes!, I've had everything from "Wow Cool!!" to "G*d D%$m Ass-ult Rifles...WHO Would need something like that!" to the "Old Bolt Farts" whining about "You can't hit nothing with them anyways!"
If I'm in a good mood, I just answer the nice one's ignore the bitchy ones and play nice. If I'm just not in the mood for crap, I'll..
(a.) Ping them in the head with My hot brass, while I tear out the center of My target.
(b.) Wait and shoot just as they get ready to take Their shot.
(c.) >My Favorite!< Wait and let them shoot for a little while, till They think I'm going to stop. Then Pull out one of My .50BMG bolt guns and CLEAR THEIR TABLE! Then look over and say(In a smiling face.) "Gee!, You're right! Bolt actions are a lot of fun! Aren't They!  [}:D]

Doin' My Best to "Spread The Love!",

Tall Shadow

[/MY ROUTINE EXACTLY!!! - when I dont have the time to hit my Gun Club range which is also used by ATF, FBI, Local and State SWAT teams.
I'll go to the public range and shoot my M4 and 20" HBAR - If I get the looks then I get me AR-10 out or FAL if they keep looking annoyed then the 50 BMG Bolt Action comes out and the putzs' that were annoyed are now even more annoyed but gawking - only because its envy nothing else - as soon as I offer them a round or two
(hey 2 rounds is $5!) they either "recoil" out of fear of shoulder dislocation or eat out of my hands like pigeons! ]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I almost never get eyeballed...of course, I'm usually next to the guy shooting this thing...

[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=nfapics1&album_id=78773&image_id=27&courtesy=1[/img]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Last time I went to the range I was the only person not shooting a .22!  (Which I didn't notice until a break and the range sup. laughingly pointed it out to me.)  The guy to the left of me had a teenage boy and two teenage girls shooting some high-tech .22's, and started watching me put 20 rounds through the bullseye.  Then I got the typical response at our club, which is, "What manufacturer is that made by?  Did you customize that?  Are you using handloads?", etc.  If anyone doesn't like my AR, they are polite enough not to let it show.  Nice group of guys.

P.S.  The answers are, DPMS, Ordered it that way from the factory and No.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#32]
i was getting eyeballed untill some comando wako guy showed up in black BDUs and Tactical Vest.  he had a auto shotgun with laser flashlight and a AK.  he was doing rapid fire with his shotgun but not the AK.  this dude looked like he spent all day at the GYM and poping steroids all week long and on the weekends went warrior.  what a freak.  i didnt get to many looks after that.  mostly people at my range are nice and they like to look because secretly they would get one if they had a good excuse to tell the wife. lol
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:05:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I get funny looks all the time. But then, whenever I go to the range I wear nothing but combat boots, bdu pants, war paint, and some leather tassles tied around my biceps. Also, I do nothing but bump fire from the hip.

[img]http://www.ultimatewarrior.com/UW2b.gif[/img]

View Quote

YOU'RE THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR?!  HOLY COW! [:D]

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I usually get the "know-it-all"'s...

You know, the guy who comes up with his friend when you put your rifle down after you empty it, and the guy says to his friend "That's an M4, it probably has a three-round burst kit in it, they're made by Bushmaster"

*looks at his 11.5" barrel/5.5" hider Colt SP1 Carbine, quite legally semi-auto only*

Uhh, yah...
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:14:23 PM EDT
[#36]
There are a decent amount of AR's that show up at the outdoor range where I shoot.  The last time my wife and I went together, I was shooting on the pistol range, and she was shooting at one of the 100 yard lanes.  She's wearing hip hugger bellbottom pants, has her hair in two braids, and our AR-15.  I looked down while reloading mags, and saw her attracting a crowd of young men, including two kids about 10 years old.

Anyway, I pack up after doing my drills and head down to her spot to notice the two 10 year olds still hanging around, and the father/uncle/whatever with his 10/22 glaring at my wife like she's some evil she-demon looking to steal the souls of his two young charges.  She was quite polite, even asking if they wanted to shoot the rifle if it was ok with their guardian, which the older man shot down quickly.  He quit glaring after I walked down to her isle and glared back at him.  He then quickly packed up his 10/22 and his two polite children and left.

Fortunately, my wife's aunt has some land out north of us and they have their own range.  They have a few AR's of their own and are nice enough to reload ammo if you pick up your brass.  Ain't bad at all.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:40:04 PM EDT
[#38]
What's wrong with all the shooters out there in the "free" world that they would do stuff like that? At the two or three ranges I frequent here in [b]CALIFORNIA[/b] I have [b]NEVER[/b] had any old guy, bolt gun shooter or who ever give me dirty looks or ask why I need an AR or a FAL. Mostly they ask what brand or just nod their heads approvingly. Of course shooters in Cali know what the 2nd is for. There just aren't enough of us. Occassionally a kid will ask if it's full auto, but mostly the kids just wish they had been old enough to vote so they could still have one here.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What's wrong with all the shooters out there in the "free" world that they would do stuff like that? At the two or three ranges I frequent here in [b]CALIFORNIA[/b] I have [b]NEVER[/b] had any old guy, bolt gun shooter or who ever give me dirty looks or ask why I need an AR or a FAL. Mostly they ask what brand or just nod their heads approvingly. Of course shooters in Cali know what the 2nd is for. There just aren't enough of us. Occassionally a kid will ask if it's full auto, but mostly the kids just wish they had been old enough to vote so they could still have one here.
View Quote

Same here.

I go to San Gabriel Valley Gun Club and Angeles Shooting Range. On really, really rare occasions I have taken the Ar indoors to LAX Firing Range, still no negative comments.

I've even had quite a few want to try it [:D] and they are hooked.

Suprisingly, there are a number of younger shooters coming along it seems. I just found out my niece (whose mother is an extreme anti) likes to go shooting with her boyfriend. She even wants to go hunting now - Great!

If we can continue this trend, things may get better! (Still working on my step daughter)
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Thank god I dont have to go to a range, I live in the middle of the desert, I can just drive 5 minutes and shoot, i save all of my plastic bottles, coke bottles, milk jugs, ect, and fill them up with water and shoot them, fun.... Of course since im not at the range, i have to deal with dumb jackasses, who notice that I'm shooting, so they go shoot a couple hundred yards from me, sometimes in my direction, this happens almost every time.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#41]
... yeah, it sure seems like that moment before the shot timer buzzes in thr ROs hand every eye in the house is watching me get ready to hose up the Pepper Poppers.

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What's wrong with all the shooters out there in the "free" world that they would do stuff like that? At the two or three ranges I frequent here in [b]CALIFORNIA[/b] I have [b]NEVER[/b] had any old guy, bolt gun shooter or who ever give me dirty looks or ask why I need an AR or a FAL.
View Quote

That is because they are joyously saying under their breath: "Won't be much longer before I can get back to uninterrupted benchrest shooting after all of those assault machineguns are confiscated. Thank you Governor Davis!"
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:07:08 AM EDT
[#43]
I have worked at a range in the KSSR for the last three years (week-end work, a quiet place to get away from my kids!) and haven't seen anything like that the whole time.

Oddly enough, I find that most of the infringements I've seen were actually committed by "bolt geezers" and bench shooters, while the people with AR's, AK's, SKS's, FN-FAL's, HK's and the like are actually pretty calm (expect for sometimes crowding the 2 second rule...)

Go figure...

FFZ
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#44]
even though i shoot at knob creek i still get those looks because of the way i look[long hair pierces cannibal corpse t-shirt and pentacle yes im wiccan]not because of my ak-47
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 2:15:47 AM EDT
[#45]
only when I scratch my head with the barrel of a loaded pistol...
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:33:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:56:01 AM EDT
[#47]

.....My partner says "She doesn't have her ears on."

"Not for long" I tell him and squeeze the trigger.  WHAM!!!  I glance over and see the woman whip here earmuffs on while glaring at me.  Wench...

View Quote

Waahaahaahaa!!!   [beer]

I would love to have seen that.

I too have been sneered and grumbled at by the guys with their big scoped bolt rifles, especially just befoe deer season opens up and they're all getting wound up and the range is packed.  On the other hand, some folks like to come over and ogle the [tricked out] nasty looking Black Rifle.  I'm always polite to both the curious and the jackasses.  I sometimes even offer to let the real curious send a few downrange if they like.  They are always impressed with the comfort and accuracy.

I realize that the muzzle brake blast from my AR goes to the sides and is annoying so I always try to hold my trigger pull to let the anal retentive guys get their shot off before I fire.

The REAL fun part is to see the reaction from the bolt shooters with their big scopes when I finish off a mag...and fairly rapidly too...and get typically better performance with my little Compact ACOG.  I can tell, that does annoy a couple of the dudes.  I kinda like it though.

REALLY want to annoy them?  Pop a few rounds downrange FAST.  That really sticks in their craw.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:20:49 AM EDT
[#48]
I really wish I had a .50... I'm not at the range to make friends with folks that have an already poor attitude. The best I can do is pull out the 91 when they bitch about the noise... a 30 rounder of .308 is good to send them packing. (Especially when yer hitting pieces of pumpkin that haven't touched the ground yet)
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:28:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Hey 9mmCarbine-

That wouldn't be the famous Wyoming Antelope Club in St. Petersburg, now would it?

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 7:39:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top