Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2002 2:41:20 AM EDT
In a stew over cats
15 June 2002

The fur is sure to fly after a Nelson city councillor suggested residents eat cats as a way of controlling their numbers.
The bizarre idea emerged this week when the Nelson City Council considered a submission calling for it to start registering cats as a way of protecting birdlife in the city.

Several councillors shared the concern that birds were becoming less prevalent as the cat population increased.

"I've seen numerous cats with birds in their mouths over the last two months," Babbie Joyce announced.

Having been told a cat registration system was too expensive to administer, Jo Raine suggested the council instead encourage people to eat cats.

"I'm quite serious." People ate dogs in some places, she said.

Mike Cotton told the meeting that while living in East Borneo he experienced what they called a "dog day" when locals went round shooting all the strays.

"Maybe we could look at a cat day here," he said.

Planning and consents divisional manager Rod Witte said the council already gave $8000 a year to the SPCA to control feral cats.

Mr Witte said it would cost too much to register all cats.

It cost $250,000 a year to run a registration scheme for about 4000 dogs in the city and a residents' survey completed in 2000 showed there were at least 11,000 cats, he said.

"I couldn't support a cat registration scheme."

Nita Knight said the issue would need to be addressed nationally sooner or later.

"I don't think there's anything we can do about it at the moment except maybe encourage people to put bells on their cats ..."

Councillors agreed it would be a good idea to educate people about the problem.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:57:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 3:18:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have my own thoughts on a sort of "Dog Day".. except it involves politicians.
View Quote

Voting from the rooftops.  Yeah, baby, yeah.  [;)]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 3:20:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Preheat oven to 425......

IBL.....
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 3:33:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:38:11 AM EDT
[#5]
i just had a black MF'n cat stalking birds in front of my house..........., it'll never stalk another bird !!!!!!!!! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:50:08 AM EDT
[#6]
How about posting cooking instructions for moslems?
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:14:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:15:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#9]
ingredence: 1 cat

instructions:  kill, skin, and season the cat.
              wrap in alunimum foil.
              place on engine block,
              drive 75-100 miles (i.e. to you camp)
              serve with malt liquor
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#10]
You know, Jonathan Swift, the author of Gulliver's Travels, once suggested that adding babies to the menu would solve the population problem. He is widely considered to be a misanthrope due to that suggestion.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You know, Jonathan Swift, the author of Gulliver's Travels, once suggested that adding babies to the menu would solve the population problem. He is widely considered to be a misanthrope due to that suggestion.
View Quote

[whacko]  [whacko]  [whacko]

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow, cats are so deadly that the government wants to register them or kill them.  Does this line of thinking sound familier?
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Slow cook in crockpot with cream of mushroom soup.

when almost done (appx.12 hours) top with can biscuits to make dumplings.

cook another 1 hour

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....duuuuuuuuuuumplings
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#14]
YUMMY!!   Feline Fricassee!!  And, you can save the head and use it as a ball...

Tink
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Killing rats is probably a good idea too.  Let's start with Mickey. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#16]
If a picture is worth a thousand words....This one is the flippin Library of congress.....

Thanks for the new screensaver......

IBL II

Quoted:
[img]http://coke.rotten.com/shavedpussy/shavedpussy.jpg[/img]
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Now, That's GROSS!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Mmmmm, kill it and grill it! It's all in the seasonings Bay-bee.

Stepped-init
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:52:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Eat too many of the cats, and you'll have to eat rats.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:59:21 AM EDT
[#21]
...tastes just like chicken....

Or so they tell me.

[:D]

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:12:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Mr Witte said it would cost too much to register all cats.

It cost $250,000 a year to run a registration scheme for about 4000 dogs in the city and a residents' survey completed in 2000 showed there were at least 11,000 cats, he said.
View Quote

That's about $60 per dog per year.  What are they doing to make it so expensive?  

I wonder if some guy's pulling down a $110K salary to be the "dog registrar". [>:/]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:13:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Every time you open your mouth you get dumber.

Anyone who reads Jonathon Swift's essay on eating babies in Ireland and thinks that he was serious is even dumber.  His essay on how to resolve the famine there was shocking only until people realized it was one big joke.  And he was certainly never considered a misanthrope because of it, except perhaps by weak-minded individuals whose brains couldn't get wrapped around a joke even if it was surgically implanted.

Christ, man, grab a sense of humor.  And a clue.  To go, please.

And please, before you open your mouth, think first.  You have this horrible habit of shooting off your mouth before your brain is fully loaded.  You might think you are intelligent, but you keep making yourself look like a dumbass.

the_reject
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:19:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I happen to love both cats and dogs.  Leave the poor animals alone.  You want something that needs controlling or you might wish to try eating?  How about liberal democrats?
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:56:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I happen to love both cats and dogs.  Leave the poor animals alone.  You want something that needs controlling or you might wish to try eating?  How about liberal democrats?
View Quote

I agree.  When does the season open on Lib Dems?
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 7:01:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 7:16:30 AM EDT
[#27]
The way birds keep sh*tting on my cars, my house, my deck, (well, everything I own) makes
me wish the cat population would INCREASE just a little.

#&@!*% birds!!!

BBURN
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would but I don't think that would be kosher . Wait a minute does a slighty sauced Chealse count as good eating ?
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View Quote

Since a lot of severe liberal democrats or women and lebians I am pretty sure they already have been eaten at least once in their lifetime.[:D]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Every time you open your mouth you get dumber.

Anyone who reads Jonathon Swift's essay on eating babies in Ireland and thinks that he was serious is even dumber.  His essay on how to resolve the famine there was shocking only until people realized it was one big joke.  And he was certainly never considered a misanthrope because of it, except perhaps by weak-minded individuals whose brains couldn't get wrapped around a joke even if it was surgically implanted.

Christ, man, grab a sense of humor.  And a clue.  To go, please.

And please, before you open your mouth, think first.  You have this horrible habit of shooting off your mouth before your brain is fully loaded.  You might think you are intelligent, but you keep making yourself look like a dumbass.

the_reject
View Quote

For your reading pleasure: [url=http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html]A Modest Proposal[/url]

Remember to engage your sense of humor, like jz02 didn't.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#32]
[disengage cloaking device]

For those who love cats, and especially for those who don't:
[url]http://www.superlaugh.com/1/chowmein.swf[/url]

[engage cloaking device]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the laugh everyone, this has been a halarious thread!!!

Spell check never works, but i'm sure halarious is spelled wrong, sorry.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#34]
When the day comes that you can no longer afford to pay for food and have to eat pets of any kind while living in North America is the day you should consider jumping from the nearest high place.  If some MF shot one of my cat's I would not need my AR, that is the time I would bring out the power tools and blow torch too use on that MF.

Only the commie chinese eat cats & dogs and we all know what those bastards deserve.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#35]
New business venture...ask me about microwaving cats ...for fun and profit..[:D]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I own 2 cats and 2 dogs. If they're running loose, I consider them fair game for anyone they bother. My dogs wouldn't run away, even if you left the gate or door open. One of my cats is a tough MFing Siamese that is a shitty hunter and knows where his food dish is. Don't have to worry about him. The other is a Silver Tabby that was originally adopted off the street and had to learn to feed herself. She supplements her food dish with an occasional dove-the sparrows are too clever. We have a bird feeder in the back yard, but the dogs keep the cats away. I guess we kinda balance it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top