Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2002 8:28:54 PM EDT
I KNOW that it's a federal felony for a civilian to be in possession of post '94 high capacity mags BUT what liability is on the seller??

The reason I ask is a pawn shop close to where I live has a Glock 23 with 2 15rd magazines for sale BUT after looking at them I saw the "LE" only stamp on there.
 I've kind of gotten to know this guy who runs the shop & I called him on the magazines & he kind of blew me off.  He said he didn't care & it wasn't his responsibility to make sure a civilian didn't unwittingly buy them.

I think the BATF might care.  So before I go back over there & get into a serious argument with him, What kind of responsibility does the seller have with post-ban magazines & ensuring the buyer can legally buy them ???????

Thanks!

A concerned member [v]
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe it's his responsibility to require  a letter on department stationary (letterhead) signed by an authorizing menber of an LE agency...

Edited to say "Gawd I Love Your Pic"..
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
He might care when he gets busted, and Bubba walks the Hershey Highway for the next ten to fifteen....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/15/2002 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#3]
What does a non-LEO do with LEO mags after the sale is completed if the seller won't take them back?
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#4]

I have heard that people drill holes where the dates or LE markings "used" to be..............
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:08:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Dude,
why the hell are you going to tell on someone on a Bullshit law?

Who really give a rats ass on if it has LE or not on them?  
If you want them, buy them, if not, forgetaboutit.

Any gunowner who would call the ATF on someone else, other that stealing, is worse than a anti.
c-rock
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:19:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Post from Jarhead_22 -
What does a non-LEO do with LEO mags after the sale is completed if the seller won't take them back?
View Quote

Simple. You bury them in [b]my[/b] back yard.

Eric The(Wrap'EmTight)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:03:02 AM EDT
[#7]
cnatra -

To answer your question, both the buyer and the the seller are liable.  Under the law, the prohibited conduct is transfer or possession.  Dealers are not exempted under the law, but BATF carved out an exeption in the federal regulations for dealers to legitimitely sell them to law enforcement agencies, etc.  If he's not seling to a legitimate/authorized buyer (LEO, DOE security, etc.) he isn't protected by the regulations.  In addition to facing the same penalties an individual would face, the seller would also lose his FFL.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:59:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I dont know who would be responsible. But the question is does anybody care? I realy dont think to many LEO gives a damned about it. BATF is the only people that would care, and that is questionable. I was stationed at Ft. Hood and was at a pawn shop as well and had the guy behind the counter ask if I had any M16 mags I wanted to get rid of. He even said that he did not care if the where made before 94 or after. I figured this was a set up and was going to get baged if I even sold him 1 M16 mag. I had a feeling he was working with CID and was just setting people up that where selling Govt. issue stuff. I have way to much money invested into my gun collect to lose it all on something illegal. Not to mention my career. But on the other hand ETH has a good idea. Just remember where you put them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#9]
  I'm telling ya, religion helps in a situation like this.

I know my mag collection is happier with the one or two that is hole-ier than thou.

EDITED TO REPLY: Killeen, Texas bites!

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dude,
why the hell are you going to tell on someone on a Bullshit law?

Who really give a rats ass on if it has LE or not on them?  
If you want them, buy them, if not, forgetaboutit.

Any gunowner who would call the ATF on someone else, other that stealing, is worse than a anti.
c-rock
View Quote

You inferred an awful lot from my post.

I don't think anywhere in that post did I suggest I was contemplating notifying the BATF.
I have no use for the magazines or the pistol.

I have two concerns, the first one is my brother-in-law dragged me in there to look at the G23 & when I saw the mags I told him purchasing them was a BAD idea.  Why risk it??
 Secondly, over the last couple of years I have gotten to know the owner of the shop on a first name basis & I thouhgt the idea of him selling LE mags to an uneducated buyer was not only unethical but possibly illegal. I don't want to see him getting in hot water & I think it's wrong to knowingly put someone in a position where they have unwittingly commiited a felony.  
 I plan on going back over there & having a chat with the proprietor and suggest he rethink who he sells those mags to.  I just wanted to have my facts straight before I did.
 That's it!
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#11]
When I bought my preban bushy from a pawn shop, it came with a "preban" colt 30 rounder, but when I got home I noticed it said LE only, so i said "AH DAMMIT!!" I took it back and traded it for a thermold, the guy at the pawn shop had'nt noticed, (so he said)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top