Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2002 5:49:15 AM EDT
This is over some Plutonium shipments that the Feds want to dump on the state. The Gov has said he will stop them at the Border by laying down on the road and using the Highway patrol. Whats your opinion.

link to some info: http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/3466081.htm

SC stil fighting for States Rights.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 5:50:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

link to some info: [url]http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/3466081.htm[/url]

SC stil fighting for States Rights.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Gov has said he will stop them at the Border by laying down on the road and using the Highway patrol. Whats your opinion.
View Quote

Beep, Beeeep..........Thump, thump. [:E]
View Quote

LOL

I think this is mostly a political issue.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 6:53:46 AM EDT
[#4]
The good Governor from South Carolina is up for re-election next year.  I suspect this is a good way to get himself in the media spotlight "looking out for South Carolina's interests".

Aside from that - this is weapons grade plutonium that is being converted into reactor fuel.  

One of the programs we have with the Russians right now is taking weapons grade plutonium from their deactivated missile warheads off their hands and converting it into fuel rods for them.  This is a GOOD thing.  Russia has a lot of this stuff and not much in the way of resources for providing it adequate protection.  You can imagine what could happen if this were to fall into the hands of those who would like to do us harm.  I can't say for sure that this is Russian plutonium but I would strongly suspect that it is.

In summation:

Russian Fuel Rods = good
Weapons Grade Plutonium = bad.

Thanks Governor.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 7:14:22 AM EDT
[#5]
As with just about everything else...

It's all about the money.

Let's take a look back at the end of the cold war.  National Security interests lost the spotlight, and the DOE started scaling back operations.  This resulted in a massive reduction in force(loss of high paying jobs), and considerable impact on local and state economies throughout the country.

Independent states start to take a "what's in it for me" approach to dealing with the federal government.  The governor of Nevada(a state hit hard by loss of employment at the Nevada Test Site), tries to block completion of the Yucca Mountain Repository unless the DOE awards contracts for future missions/facilities/jobs to his state.

This is exactly the same scenario that is taking place in SC.  The Savannah River Site, one of the biggest complexes in the DOE, has also felt the pinch.  The governor of SC is just trying to get something in return for his states acceptance of the plutonium.  He has stated that he will block shipments unless he has written contracts in place with the DOE that would guarantee the disposition of the plutonium.  Translated, he wants guaranteed construction of new facilities that would stabilize employment and provide state and local revenue.

I just hope this trump card get's him a winning hand and the DOE doesn't just decide to fold.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I think it IS a political issue - as are all the issues regarding individual and State's rights.  I think he is well within his authority to deny the Feds the ability to dump toxic waste generated in another sovereign state into his sovereign state.  The Feds have no authority to FORCE the people of SC to accept toxic and dangerous waste without their consent.  I hope he goes through with his plans and calls out the SC militia to enforce.  I know he won't since no one has the balls to stand up to .gov, but it would be nice.  I am sure the Feds will just bribe him somehow to look the other way.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think it IS a political issue - as are all the issues regarding individual and State's rights.  I think he is well within his authority to deny the Feds the ability to dump toxic waste generated in another sovereign state into his sovereign state.  The Feds have no authority to FORCE the people of SC to accept toxic and dangerous waste without their consent.  I hope he goes through with his plans and calls out the SC militia to enforce.  I know he won't since no one has the balls to stand up to .gov, but it would be nice.  I am sure the Feds will just bribe him somehow to look the other way.
View Quote

Hate to tell you, but the Plutonium was originally produced in South Carolina @ the Savannah River Site.

It's just being returned.[;D]
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#8]
He wasn't very happy about the DOJ/DOD moving the dirty bomb suspect to Charleston, SC without consulting him first.  I am sure glad he is looking out of the state but his time would be better spent improving the schools and economy of this state.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hate to tell you, but the Plutonium was originally produced in South Carolina @ the Savannah River Site.

It's just being returned.[;D]
View Quote

Damn you, Rabbit! It's about state's rights! Don't confuse the boy with facts!

[:D]

-legrue
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Rocky Flats is just down the road. . . between Boulder and Golden on 93.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 8:43:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Rocky Flats is just down the road. . . between Boulder and Golden on 93.
View Quote

No need to remind me. My former brother-in-law worked there over 10 years as a bomb testing tech. (scuze me. bomb trigger) My former mother-in-law lives about 30 min from Savanna River. (no, not coincidence)

-legrue
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He wasn't very happy about the DOJ/DOD moving the dirty bomb suspect to Charleston, SC without consulting him first.
View Quote

Hate to break the news to him, but the prisoner is being kept on a FEDERAL installation.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
He wasn't very happy about the DOJ/DOD moving the dirty bomb suspect to Charleston, SC without consulting him first.
View Quote

Hate to break the news to him, but the prisoner is being kept on a FEDERAL installation.  
View Quote

True I think he likes to bitch.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

True I think he likes to bitch.
View Quote

I suppose he'll just open up on poor ol' Fort Sumter.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Yall shut up..this here is a continuation of the Civil War! [;D]

FORGET HELL NO!
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Everything I read conveniently left out the part where it came from SC in the first place.  My apologies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top