Posted: 6/14/2002 4:56:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Big Brother is here.......[xx(]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you very much....please send me more tin foil..
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]
If it runs as an application or service on your PC, you can detect it.

If it tries to establish a connection across the net, you can detect it.

All you need are the right tools.

BTW, if you're worried about an application spying on your keystrokes, just do your typing in an MS-DOS Window (this will not work on NT, 2000, or XP). The most common method for logging keystrokes cannot spy on keystrokes typed into an MS-DOS box.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]
 I haven't been to their website in years, but back about 5 or 6 years ago thecodex used to sell the TEMPEST monitoring systems for about $13,000 if I remember the price correctly.

On a more related issue, they also had a demonstration link that showed you how easy it is to read your hard drive. They used to (and may still have it), a link that you clicked on to prove how easy it is to read your harddrive. When you clicked on the link it would do exactly what they stated it would do. It would read you hard drive directory structure and spit it out back at you... online. And to think they didn't have to let you know they were reading your harddrive just by clicking on a link.

The bottom line is... people shouldn't overreact about the possibility of someone being able to read your harddrive, because you are definitely years to late. :)
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#6]
My PC(s) are on a private IP address range, and run through an ISA proxy/firewall server. I [b]know [/b] that I have all incoming FTP turned off, as well as many other common IP protocols.
I examine my ISA logs periodically for anomalous behaviors.

Doesn't make DIRT impossible, but I imagine it makes it quite a bit harder.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top