Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2002 12:12:49 PM EDT
Anybody know his history? Whats he been involved in in the past. To me he looks like some kind of new age guru, but I shouldn't judge people on how they look. So, whats this guys experience?
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.hackworth.com[/url]  This will give you some of his backgroud
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Every soldier in Vietnam is / was my hero, and always will be.  Thanks for the link and I am buying that book.

Rainman, you always have read the book before me though!

Thanks man!

--satcong
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry satcong, don't have a Hackworth book to send ya. [:(].

The guy  always sounded intelligent to me, I just never knew where he came from. He certainly has the credentials. Go Hackworth [beer]  
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Well this could be interesting considering it is my first post on this net...  I respect the hell out of Hackworth's service to this country.. but since he left the service he has become a oxygen thief and I prefer to call him Hackworthless... If I saw him on the side of the road helpless...I would laugh and walk away... There is absolutely no reason that bastard should claim more awards than he was awarded..it is pathetic when he bashed Borda when he did the same thing himself...He offers no solutions....

Regards,

Joe
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Stop with the brownnosing.

There is a reason why his Army career ended at Lt. Colonel...

He produced some good ideas, but generally he is a asshole.

He has become a media darling by being a contrarian who runs his mouth. He knows how to shock a audience, and you know how the news media loves this.

Having said that, he did write a very good lessons learned paper about the Vietnam War. So when he isn't busy mouthing off, he is capable of some good ideas.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Stop with the brownnosing.

There is a reason why his Army career ended at Lt. Colonel...

He produced some good ideas, but generally he is a asshole.

He has become a media darling by being a contrarian who runs his mouth. He knows how to shock a audience, and you know how the news media loves this.

Having said that, he did write a very good lessons learned paper about the Vietnam War. So when he isn't busy mouthing off, he is capable of some good ideas.
View Quote

Well, look at the bright side, A-L.  It could have been Colonel Klink running on and on about those worthless Allied POWs at Stalag 13. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#7]
ArmdLbrl you have him centered in your sights.  Heard him speak on Dallas talk radio and I don't know how far I trust him.  He doesn't have a good fix on the Constitution.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I am halfway through "About Face". Required reading for all!
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#9]
[url]http://www.hackworth.com/guerrilla.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Here it is.  [url]http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/2116/vietnamprimer.htm[/url]

Link to the Vietnam Primer he wrote along with S.L.A. Marshall.

Note that back in 1967 Hackworth was already a Lt. Colonel, he rose rather quickly, but never progressed further after this.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#11]
ArmedLiberal:

This is the first time I've ever heard his name.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 2:00:25 PM EDT
[#12]
His books About Face and Hazardous Duty are both definitely worth reading (I didn't like his fiction work.)  I was signed up for his Defending America newsletter for awhile, but found myself disliking or disagreeing with his recommendations for practical, constitutional, or philosophical reasons enough that I unsubscribed.

rgrjoe175, do you have a link or any more detail about this "There is absolutely no reason that bastard should claim more awards than he was awarded."  I'm not sure what you're referring to.

PS: I think he still hates the AR15/M16.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 5:34:04 AM EDT
[#13]
...I'm digging into some memory banks right now, I'm not sure but I believe that Hackworth claimed a Ranger Tab without having been to the school or serving in a designated Ranger unit in combat...if I'm not mistaken he was involved with Ranger training at Benning in the 50's or early 60's...
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Go to this website and click on the Hackworth info.  www.airborne-ranger.com scroll down a ways to Hackworth on the left.

Joe
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#15]
He does not check his sources, and believes everything negative anyone has ever told him about the US and its military.  As a reporter, he is a joke.

While he may have been an effective soldier at one time, he deserved the boot after his last tour in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Hackworth is a man best taken Issue by issue, some things he say's are Gospel, and others are not worth a damn... Like everyone points out, He know's soldiering, but he doesn't know a damn thing about the constitution...

Ben
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well this could be interesting considering it is my first post on this net...  I respect the hell out of Hackworth's service to this country.. but since he left the service he has become a oxygen thief and I prefer to call him Hackworthless... If I saw him on the side of the road helpless...I would laugh and walk away... There is absolutely no reason that bastard should claim more awards than he was awarded..it is pathetic when he bashed Borda when he did the same thing himself...He offers no solutions....

Regards,

Joe
View Quote

Go to Hackworth's page and check the awards story for yourself.  CNN even sent him an apology for screwing it up.  Hey, see if you can still keep it all straight after receiving your TENTH SILVER STAR.  [;)]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Ole' Hack is an asshole.

If we'd listened to him we wouldn't have...the M1 Abrams, the AH-64 Apache, the A-10, and a host of other great weapon systems and platforms.  Of course, after the Gulf War, he was running around saying how great they were, but in the 80's he was bashing them saying they were worthless.

And let's not forget him driving Admiral Boorda to suicide by accusing him of wearing a ribbon he didn't earn.  Seems as ole LTC Assworth used to wear a Tab, but got busted himself.  What an honorable man he is.

I definately respect his service, but he's just a windbag.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Some Hackworth links.  He's no saint.

[url]http://www.ariannaonline.com/columns/files/053096.html[/url]
View Quote

Yet you site another hack like Huffington.  She's nothing but a turncoat who can't get over the fact that her husband went queer on her.  I'm not here to defend Hackworth, but surely you can get better sources than this?
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Screw Hackworth. Why won't anybody use Charlie Beckwith as a military consultant. Now thats a true American hero.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Screw Hackworth. Why won't anybody use Charlie Beckwith as a military consultant. Now thats a true American hero.
View Quote

Colonel Beckwith passed away a few years ago at his home in Austin, Texas.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 1:15:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Colonel Beckwith passed away a few years ago at his home in Austin, Texas.
View Quote

Excuse me as I wipi this egg off my face.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Hackworth is still back in the jungles. His knowledge and 'expert' commentaries are not contempory. I respect his background but not his outlook.

Just my $.223 FRN.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:51:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well this could be interesting considering it is my first post on this net...  I respect the hell out of Hackworth's service to this country.. but since he left the service he has become a oxygen thief and I prefer to call him Hackworthless.....

Joe
View Quote

Pretty good first post.  (Since I agree with you !)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top