Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2002 11:35:16 AM EDT
skimmed from today's [url]www.opinionjournal.com[/url] in the Best of the Web section:

Wimpy Mascot Watch
Boy did we open up a can of worms with this one. Here's a list of some of America's wimpiest sports team names (all are high schools unless otherwise noted):

Poca (W.Va.) Dots
Benson Mighty Bunnies, Omaha, Neb.
Key West (Fla.) Conchs
Dunbar Poets, Baltimore (California's Whittier College, Richard Nixon's alma mater, also calls its teams the Poets)
Effingham (Ill.) Flaming Hearts
Kensington (Kan.) Goldbugs
Teutopolis (Ill.) Wooden Shoes (the girls' teams are the Lady Shoes)
Jordan (Utah) Beetdiggers
Mount Clemens (Mich.) Battling Bathers
Fort Collins (Colo.) Lambkins
Hickman Kewpies, Columbia, Mo.
Also worth noting are two college teams that are more goofy than wimpy: the University of California, Santa Cruz Fighting Banana Slugs and the Scottsdale (Ariz.) Community College Artichokes.

And then there's the Rhode Island School of Design, which has a hockey team called the Nads. "They very seldom practice or win a game," reader J. Reeves writes. "However the supporters yell encouragement in the form of a cheer. They can be heard shouting 'Go Nads!' This is the truth by the way."
View Quote

Let's not forgot Laguna Beach High School's mascot: The Artists.

Why Artists, you ask?  Let's just say that if you dropped a nickel in Laguna Beach, you'd kick it north to Newport Beach before you'd pick it up.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#1]
How about my old alma mater, the M.I.T. beavers. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#2]
UCSC - The Banana Slugs

Evergreen State College - Geoducks(a type of clam with a huge phallic shaped neck)
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Ours wan't wimpy.We were the Trojans.When you played us you were gonna get F****D
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a friend in college that swore one of the high schools he used to play football against was home to the "Fighting Asparagus".
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Here in Central-By-God-Texas, we have the Taylor Ducks, and the Hutto Hippos. Every time I think of the Hutto Hippos, I imagine a bunch of high school football players dressed up right out of Fantasia. Hahahahha! Wooooo!
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I guess this isn't a wimpy one, but my favorite was/is from a town near where I grew up in ID. It is the town with the state mental hospital and they are the Orofino Maniacs. I got a hat from them a couple years ago; has a crazy looking guy jumping up & down.

Nothing like Idaho.

NMSight
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Ours was the Vikings, not to bad but the name of the school was Seaman. Imagine the news headlines when we played the cross town rivals the Trojans. "Seaman slips past Trojans" was one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How about my old alma mater, the M.I.T. beavers. [;)]
View Quote

My High School mascot: BEAVERS.

We just said we had better beaver, and left it at that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#9]
During my first year at Mendenhall Middle School in Livermore CA, we were known as the Moles.  "Moles!  Moles!  Go, Go Moles!"
They changed it the next year to the Mustangs.

I live just south of Evergreen State.  They're a weird bunch up there.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Funny as hell guys...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top