Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2001 2:09:13 PM EDT
I can't make up my mind between a .40 and a .45 (never fired either of them).

I can't make up my mind on a brand either!  I've heard that the Glocks and Sigs are good.  I'd like to spend no more than $600.

Would would you guys recommend?  How about size?  I'd like one that's not enormous and not a baby glock.  Something in between.

Thanks ahead of time. [:\]
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Glock 22
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend a SIG 1n .40 S&W. I have had better accuracy with the >40 than >45, especially in medium or full size handgun.
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I would recommend you shoot anything before you buy it.  Is it comfortable to shoot? Can you shoot it accurately? many factors to weigh out.  Some people can't shoot a .45 accurately, some have no problem.  I have trouble shooting glocks accurately but have great success with 1911s.  I feel the 1911 fits ME better.  You MUST find out what you can shoot the best.  The gun is no good if you cant shoot it properly.  
That is alot of money to plop down on something you are not sure about. My $.02

[sniper]out
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, you are going to get more different answers to this question than there are probably members on this board.  [:0]

Personally, I am not a big Glock fan.  There are some handguns that fit in my hand very naturally and none of the Glocks seem to be it.

I've heard nothing but good things about SIGs.  I've handled a few, but again, not natural for me.

Now, as a military fan of the .45, I'd recommend that.  Now as to a model, I'd be pointing you in the direction of a Kimber.  This is the handgun that every factory, non-gold cup, Colt .45 wants to be.

I own a Delta Elite 10mm (basically a 40 cal), am impressed with the cartridge, but would still rather have a .45 if those were my choices.

Finally, my personal choice for a handgun....Browning Hi-power Practical.  

I was drawn into the Beretta court in the 80's, and was impressed.  I bought the Delta Elite on a whim, and have been less than enthused.  Finally, I purchased a Hi-power on a whim and have never looked back.

With the variety of 9mm cartridges out there, there is something that is sure to please.  But as far as the Hi-Power goes, this is the [b]most[/b] comfortable and [b]most[/b] natural pointer that I have in my safe.

'nuff said.

Regards....
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]
He said under 600 bucks. That is 100 shy of quite a few other options.
Under 700 you can find HK`s, Sig`s,  few 45 1911`s, any Glock, and probably a slightly tweaked used 45.
If your looking for a 1911, best be ready to spend 800 on up.
Unless you get a Charles Daly which do not enjoy a good rep on quite a few d boards.
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to a range where you can rent a variety of handguns and try them out.  Take a friend who you know is a competent pistol shot and is capable of giving you the necessary safety and marksmanship instruction.  Find a handgun you are comfortable with and can shoot fairly well.  Buy it new unless the manufacturer extends the warranty to subsequent purchasers.

DO NOT take the purchasing advise of people on an Internet forum whom you have never met, and whose qualifications to make such a recommendation are unknown to you.  There are far more people on this forum who don't know diddly and act like experts, than there are true experts.

Link Posted: 1/28/2001 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Go over to your local bookstore and pick-up one of these gun or handgun annuals that just happen to be out about this time of year.  There should be articles addressing what you're looking into, gun tests/reviews, plus a catalog in the back.  That will give you an idea of the many differents handgun brands and types on the market.

SNIPERM88 has a good point.  Before I moved overseas, there was an indoor range in the town that I lived in.  They had numerous examples of all different handgun types that you could rent and shoot.  That way not only can you handle the different brands, but fire both calibers that you're interested in.  You should be able to find a range like this near enough to you.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#8]
True I am no expert, but there are those here that have real experience with whats he`s asking about. He asked a question about a good pistol in 40 45 for under 600. That limits things a bit. As for experience, I will say a S&W Sigma is worth the 270.00 dollars, but in my opinion is not a defensive handgun. They are picky about their ammo and are not worth more than 300 dollars, you might get lucky and get the rare good one, but I would suggest you pass.
My Glocks are very accurate and reliable.
My Hk is the same.
Ditto on the 1911A1 loaded.
ditto on the S/V 40.
Browning ditto.
then the revolvers.
   I would hope that his asking here is a step in a process of researching for a handgun purchase, above are some of the other steps, I will say I dont agree with looking at gun mags as they will rarely say anything bad about their advertisers. There is good info in GunTests mag. My opinion.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are new to handguns you might want to look into revolvers, they are much simpler in design and to understand.
If you are new to autos i would not reccomend the glock for the lack of a manually operated safety.
As far as caliber i think you would be happy with either the 40 or 45 as a defemsive round. Both have advantages and disadvantages, and both will do the job for defense.
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey!  Wait a second!  I have two Sigma .40s.  Both required polishing of the feed ramp to accept the sharp hollow points and have run flawlessly since.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Sig Sauer P220.  It is a fine gun.  It is accurate, fits and feels natural in my hand, and is ultra reliable.  Around where I live, they can be purchased new for $600.00.

I've always wanted a 1911. I think my next pistol will be a Kimber.

I personally can't stand the way Glocks feel in my hands. Yuck!
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry echo, I seem to be at odds with your tastes. I will say the Stigma I owned was garbage from day one until three years later after S&W tried to fix it over and over again. They finally put a new barrel in it and although not the most accurate pistol I own it feed reliably enough for me to sell it in good conscience. The new barrel had a semi circle cutout on top where it meets the breech. I asked S&W what was the deal with this cutout, and they said to direct gases in case of a ruptured case( read KBOOM). Many people I have spoken with that own stigmas and over half dont like them, You can ask the folks on Glocktalk.com what they think[;)].
I have spoke to people who think they`re great. Let me ask how the pad of your finger feels after a hundred rounds, I work with concrete and have some calluses on my finger, but that trigger slap was uncomfortable. Again this is my experience and opinion. Thats whats great about these boards, different views and opinions. I`ll put you in the 'I like my Sigma' catergory for future reference. BTW I sold mine for 5 dollars more than I bought it[:)]
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes the glocks and sigs are good{for holster carry}.get the .45 in a 1911 configuration.{JUST MY OPINION}.
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#15]
exactly what paul said, more info is needed to give a good reply, as to which pistol you should buy. also shoot everything that you can and decide for yourself
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Springfield .45 loaded, about $550 before tax and comes with a ton of extras. Match barrel, match trigger, etc etc etc.....
Awesome pistol for the price!
I'd agree with the others, try to shoot some of these first before you buy one. If you've shot any large caliber pistols you'll be fine! GOOD LUCK [beer]
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Consider the following:
Kimber Classic Custom .45ACP
Glock 22 .40
Both have excellent track re-
cords and are under $600.  Do
NOT buy a S&W Sigma.  They are
100% crap.[uzi]
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#18]
As posted earlier I think it is good to try a variety of handguns to see which feels right to you. I have owned and used many different autopistols the Glocks feel the best to me for me, but I am a sucker for a nice revolver, you might take a look at them, they are really nice.
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#19]
PLEASE dont even mention any SMITH & SELLOUTSON CRAP!
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Glock is the god of pistols.  There is NONE higher.
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#21]
HS2000.

Link Posted: 1/28/2001 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Opinions are like a**holes. Everbody had one. Buy the one that fits your hand and feels the best. All quality handguns are about the same as far as reliability and accuracy (referring to general duty/carry guns, not match or specialized guns). If you do your part,the gun will do its part. As for .40 v. .45, personally, I would go with the .45. But that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Go to a range with rentals.  Choose what fits *you* best - then perhaps you can check back with the board when you have your criteria more clearly defines and your choices narrowed.  Then the board might be of some help.

"..but I can get *three* Lorcins for the price of only *one* Glock!"

THAT we can help you steer clear of.

Tate
Link Posted: 1/28/2001 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Most of the above is right on. Do some tire kickin first. Go to a well stocked gunshop and try out the ones that appeal to you. See which ones " grip & point" for you. Check out local ranges to see what they rent. Try out your Bud's guns. Also check out Cal DOJ web site to make sure the gun of your dreams can be had in Calif. (up to 251 now!)
Link Posted: 1/29/2001 2:51:02 AM EDT
[#25]
I've owned a Glock 23.  If you like Glocks they will live up to their reputation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top