Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2002 10:11:02 PM EDT
They are dropping like flies up here. Between killing themselves and seriously injuring their would-be rescuers. Mt. Rainier has claimed 5 this year already and has an average of 3 per year. Mt Hood and St. Helens are getting them too. Discuss
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 1:01:28 AM EDT
Darwin's theory at work FedGunner D-7451 SCS 10009 4s-1549 FB 965
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 4:08:33 AM EDT
I had a really good friend that I went to highschool with that moved to Oregon and picked up mountain climbing. He met a girl out climbing and they ended up getting engaged. I don't really know the circumstances, but one day they were out climbing together and she slipped or was falling and Jon somehow caught her and was holding on to her. She slipped out of his hands and fell to her death. A few months later he hung himself.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 4:11:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 4:19:17 AM EDT
When I lived in Nepal I met some climbers who were part of a group making an attempt at Everest. I was looking over this guys gear and he had a surgi-kit with different scapel blades sealed in what looked like a latex wrapper. I asked him what these were for and he responded "Oh, that's in case I have to self amputate a didgit or toe" My response was "Who chooses a hobby that requires self-amputation?"
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 4:30:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2002 4:30:57 AM EDT by eurotrash]
theres an interesting article in this month's "outside" magazine about a climber known for all kinds of risky stuff. it's a wonder he' s still alive, but it gives you perspective on the mind set and the amount of physical suffering many people go thorough in their climbing pursuits. edited to add: definitely agree on the climbing wall hotties.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 4:42:31 AM EDT
How many climbers does it take to generate that average of three fatalities a year at Mt. Rainier? Three fatalities out of thirty would represent a much more dangerous situation than three out of three thousand. Personally, I've greatly enjoyed the little bit of time that I've spent in the mountains. I'd be a climber myself if I didn't live in the middle of a cornfield. [:E]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 4:45:45 AM EDT
That's cuz they weren't equipped with the Rolex Explorer I. For those who don't know, the Explorer I was on the first successful ascent of Mt.Everest in 1953. The highest point on Earth. Attended by Sir John Hunt, Sir Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tenzing.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 4:47:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Makarov: When I lived in Nepal I met some climbers who were part of a group making an attempt at Everest. I was looking over this guys gear and he had a surgi-kit with different scapel blades sealed in what looked like a latex wrapper. I asked him what these were for and he responded "Oh, that's in case I have to self amputate a didgit or toe" My response was "Who chooses a hobby that requires self-amputation?"
View Quote
Yakuza, but then again it's a way of life and not a hobby.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:34:32 AM EDT
You all might want to read Jon Krakaur's (not sure about spelling) book, "Into Thin Air". It's a great book about an Everest expedition gone horribly wrong. It really makes you stop and think about what must go through the minds of the folks that do high altitude climbing. As for me, I think I'll just stay down low and have fun with my AR's.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:49:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2002 5:49:49 AM EDT by Greenhorn]
I read [u]Into Thin Air[/u] a few years ago. It's a very fascinating read. I read it when I was intrested in mountain climbing and things like that, back when I was 14-15.
Top Top