Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2002 2:07:24 PM EDT
Ok guys, here is question for you legal beagals...

I have found over the last couple of weeks several sport bike frames, complete, but stripped and without a VIN#, from several sources. I source said it was bought from the OEM as a replacement frame and therefore comes without a VIN# which is applied by the owner after being assigned one from the state or applying the old VIN to a new frame (makes sense as the OEM can just grab it off the shelf then rather than have to take the time to stamp it.). I have found many bike salvage yards with good prices on like new components so I can piece this together over time (winter project). I went to the NY DMV and asked what is required, they gave me a pamplet of registering a "Unique, Homemade, or Custom Motor vehicle"

I have to send in a complete description of the bike, any and all saftey features, 4 pics, one from each side, weight, proof of ownership (in this case a sales slip), size of engine, max MPH capable of etc. The bike is then inspected if a "Field Investigation" is required to ensure the bike or its components are not stolen. To do this they inspect eh bike and any and all sales slips or reciepts you have/ title/ documents identifying source of veihicle and such.

Now here is the million dollar question:

How do you prove parts you bought second hand are not stolen? Lots of bikes get ripped off and stripped. What is recorded as belonging to the original bike other than the frame through a vin? I do not want to buy multiple components from several sources only to find out they are hot and have them confiscated when inspected.

Any input guys?
BrenLover
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe most transmissions and engines get the same vin number.  So if you go to a junkyard and buy a totaled bike for the tranny and engine and other stuff, try and at least go for a copy of their paperwork.  When I junk a car I send the title with the junked ride with totalled written on it.  This is ohio, so I do not know exactly what is needed.

But I bought a harly sportster from kentucky and they wanted to check frame number, engine, and tranny number as well.  Little stuff is not marked or they did not care.

If you buy a stroker engine, common on harley's, you would of course have a bill showing you bought a complete longblock or whatever you did.

Of course I think you need to find people in your state who have done what you are trying to do.  Ohio is not bad, but it was annoying to need to do an inspection of the bike just to get my title transfered.  They also checked side markers and everything else while checking numbers.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ok guys, here is question for you legal beagals...

Now here is the million dollar question:

How do you prove parts you bought second hand are not stolen?
View Quote

Can't really say for NY, but usually a Title is sufficient. Here in MA it used to be if a bike was over xxx years old, you didn't need a title to register it. I think that has changed though and now if you want to register a custom or parts bike and don't have a title, you have to apply for a new one. At that point my guess is that they run the VIN too see if it was stolen.
When you really get down to it, it's a "let the buyer beware" type of situation.

Lots of bikes get ripped off and stripped. What is recorded as belonging to the original bike other than the frame through a vin?

Any input guys?
BrenLover
View Quote

There's also a VIN on the engine case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top