Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2002 8:08:33 AM EDT
i may be going over that way this summer, any must-sees?
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Make sure to make a stop in Cody, WY.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#2]

How many days are you going to be there?

Three days minimum to get the full scope.

* From Mammoth to Old Faithful 50mile stretch along West side of Yellowstone - MANY geysers & hotsprings
* Lower Falls - Damn impressive.
* Yellowstone "Grand Canyon" from lookout point or artists point.

So much more - get a guide book and plan a few days.

Don't get too close to the bison, more people are attacked/gored by bison than bears in Yellowstone.

Beware of "bear jams" while you drive.

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:44:36 AM EDT
[#3]
If you can go just after Labor Day it is a lot more enjoyable.  There is little traffic and you can easily get access to any site, as well as campgrounds.  If you like to hike, climb Mt. Washburn for an incredible view of the entire caldera.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I lived in the park for two years.  If you go to Gardner, MT (it's one of the park gates), don't miss the Two Bit Saloon or K Bar.  Don't miss the Old Faithful Lodge or Lake Yellowstone Lodge.  Oh, and the buffalo in the park really do NOT want you to pet them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, be certain to guard your picnic basket from Yogi the Bear and his little pal BooBoo...

No, wait, that's [u]Jellystone[/u] Park!

Sorry! Wrong park.

Eric The(Maybe[u]Not[/u]SmarterThanYourAverageBear)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Be sure to save a day (or at least a half a day) for the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody----it's FANTASTIC!!!  It includes the Buffalo Bill Historical Section, Winchester/Cody Firearms Section, Plains Indian Section & Museum of Western Art (Remingtons, etc).  You'll love it!!

There is a great Rodeo in Cody several nights of the week, as well.

Be sure to do, too, the Beartooth Pass bt. Red Lodge and the NE entrance to Yellowstone---one of teh greatest drives you will ever go on!

Have fun (and bring lots of cash!)!
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#7]
We spent 10 days in Yellowstone and Grand Teton, and let me tell ya, i wish i'd had more time there.  the entire place is beautiful, the geysers impressive, and the wildlife...well, we had a rather large grizzly within a couple hundred yards of our doorstep at one of the onsite hotels while we were in yellowstone, and also saw a buffalo "gore" the car behind us.  not to mention the moose, elk, eagles, etc, that are EVERYWHERE.  Try to work in a raft trip, and don't be afraid to take some of the NPS tours because you get off the beaten path (really) and they will show you some areas that no one else gets to see.  Favorite area?  the valley and the areas right around old faithful.  have fun and take your time!
Edited to add: i will second attending the museum in Cody.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Just got back from there last week. An amazingly
beautiful place to see with very nice people all
around. It did rain a bit while we were there so
bring a poncho, umbrella or a jacket.

Lastly don't go swimming in the geysers or hot springs
and watch out for those Bison!
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Lastly don't go swimming in the geysers or hot springs
and watch out for those Bison!
View Quote

Actually, half way up the road leading from Gardiner to Mammoth Hot springs, there is a turn out for what's known as the "Boiling River".  Unless they've managed to spoil the fun by shutting it down, it's a sanctioned area to swim in a series of thermal feeds flowing into the Yellowstone River.  It's VERY nice.  And though it's against the rules, there were normally lots of naked europeans in the water.  'Course, all of us employees would sneak out there at night and git nekkid and sinful, but that's another story![}:)]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#11]
The best way to see Yellowstone IMO is in the winter by snowmobile........if it's still allowed.

You can go to a geyser and be the ONLY person there.

The wildlife is just as abundant and tend to hang around geysers for warmth and food.  

Bison can be a real PIA, especially when provoked by someone else, leaving me pulling the starter cord on the snow machine and praying![shock]

Keep in mind the seismic action is increasing at Yellowstone.  The chance of an eruption of the volcano that most of the geysers are in in eminent.  Talk to a ranger and they can show you the physical highlights of the crater.  
Helpful hints:

$50 a foot for going off trail with a snow machine.  Maximum $500

The speed limit in the park is 35 MPH or posted.  74 MPH will get you a $350ish fine. [}:)]

Hitting a bison at night will kill you real easy.

Don't go hill climbing out side the park in avalanche areas.  Particularly, don't go to Heartbreak Ridge and hill climb without a D%^& good life insurance policy.

If you hire a guide, tell him you want to go down the back side of Two Top, into Idaho and Yahoo! Canyon.  [}:D] Your Guide will take you there I *PROMISE.

*remember a suitcase full of cash money  

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#12]
* Spend a day in Jackson Hole and visit the art galleries.  The National Museum of Wildlife Art is just outside of Jackson and well worth the visit.

* Float trip on the snake river.

* Hot air balloon ride.

* Quick drive over to the airport at Driggs, Idaho and check out the warbirds and/or take a glider ride.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top