Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2002 11:45:04 AM EDT
Got an infestation that started with a melon I brought home.

They're out of the house, but have settled in the garbage cans and more importantly, the compost.

My friend up North thought Winter would do them in, but not so.

Is there anything I can put there that will not kill my fishing worms, ruin the compost, etc.

I know I will have to deal with the garbage cans -- a good weekly scrubbing and keeping the lids tight might help there, though frankly I would spray them if I had to.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Forgot to mention - the neighbor has a pear tree.  Am I out of luck?
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
What's wrong with malathion? They were spraying the stuff from helicopters over Santa Clara/San Jose for months back in the 80's.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Remember, "time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

So, poison a banana and set it out for them to enjoy.

If you ever have trouble with time flies, just set out arrows made of arsenic-treated lumber and you'll be all set.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely, [b]prk[/b], get organic with those pesky fruit flies!

Go to Howard Garrett's website at:[url]http://www.dirtdoctor.com/[/url]

The product Neem is very useful in controlling flying insects and is safe for your compost pile!

You can ask Howard Garrett direct questions on his website and he will reply via e-mail. It may take a week or so, however!

Eric The(GoOrganic!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Hang ziplock bags full of water all around and over your garden...  flies see their reflection of a huge fly eater and flee for their lives!  

This really works...  we never have flies around our picnic areas...  [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top