Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2002 10:59:30 AM EDT
Allright,

Wife and I just bought a new house. We love it.....BUT....how do we kill the rampant BAMBOO running throughout the back yard?!

This crap makes my back yard look like Viet Nam, what, do I need to get some Agent Orange? (kidding).

If anyny of you gents or ladies has experience getting rid of this pest please let me know.

Thanks

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#3]
We have bamboo here? What part of the Commonwealth are y'all in?

Scott
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#4]
No, [b]Brouhaha[/b], anything strong enough to [b]kill[/b] bamboo will kill anything (including small animals and kids!)

'Mechanical' removal is the only sure-fire method of removing bamboo!

That, my dear boy, means digging it out of the ground, bit by bit, and not leaving one shred of root behind!

For one shred of a root is sufficient to start the whole wretched thing over again!

Unless you are really young and athletic, you need to hire some day laborers for this job!

Look for strong backs and weak minds!

Eric The(OrganicFarmer)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Two words - panda bears
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Fuel-Air explosives followed by a judicious salting of the soil.

Oops sorry, wrong topic.  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#7]
napalm, or a flamethrower

wait... wht get rid of it, you can make punji traps for tresspassers and other fun things
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a type of grass, so buy some herbicide that will kill grass and go to town.
View Quote

Like maybe.. Propionic Acid ?  [;)]
View Quote

About two gallons should do it....

Scott

[beer]

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree with EricTheHun regarding manual removal. You had to follow all of the runners that the plant produces, and just pull them up(easier said than done). It took me several weekends for me to personally to get them all out of the ground. I would've used poison, but the site was a possible condidate for a vegetable garden, so poison was out. My wife would have definitely been pissed if I had poisoned the kids. For small bamboo saplings that erupt every so often, I used Monsanto's Roundup on the leaves, and that did a pretty good job them under control. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#13]
You might check on rec.gardens.bamboo in case they know of anything new.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I've always loved bamboo. The big thick ones, you can build houses with those. They grow incredibly fast so if you have a big enough yard you can have a bamboo farm. You can build all sorts of cool things with them, they're very strong for their weight.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#15]
keep all water away from it..   Makes a great wind break or privacy fence, but if it gets water regularly it'll take over..The Hun is right..  Start pickin'.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Bamboo is also the preferred plant for cutting tests on Japanese swords....

Scott

P.S. The preferred animal for cut testing used to be convicts. (A common tester's mark on the hilts is "mitsu-do setsudan": "Three bodies with one stroke"...)

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Amusingly enough, Round-Up is the commercial name for Agent Orange.

(You know I had wished for a better first post,but this will do)
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

How cool is that? I mention samurai blades, and the next post is by "Katana"...

Scott

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Scott
View Quote

Alexandria, just north of the Mixing Bowl. (395/495/95).

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Maybe I can give it all to the National Zoo in DC to feed the Commie Pandas we paid $1 million for!
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#21]

try Napalm..., it has always been one of my favorites !! [:D] works best when applied at 450mph & about 200' high...........

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#22]
This is funny. I was just thinking of ordering some bamboo roots from this place: [url]http://www.jmbamboo.com/giants.htm[/url]

Cold hardy bamboo.

A friend and I want to see if we can get it started growing in a big empty field on his land in north dakota. The above ground parts wouldn't survive winter, but the roots may. We thought it would be funny to have a 10 acre bamboo forest in the middle of a north dakota prairie.

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#23]
As a golf course superintendent and certified NYS pesticide applicator I can assure that nothing chemical short of sterilizing the entire soil profile will eradicate bamboo.  Unfortunately manual removal or partial removal and underground containment are your only options.  Bamboo is an extremely invasive plant and should only be planted with careful pre planning and containment barriers underground or else it just takes off with no control.  Having said that, it is a very cool and tough plant.  Yes I am a turf head, LoL!![beer]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
1 word. FIRE
View Quote

I dont know if you are being a smart ass or not , but thats the only way to control the stuff.
GG
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Can I just ask why would you want to get rid of bamboos in the first place? They're great plants. Require little attention, grow like hell. You can have a bamboo forest in no time.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Post from GunGuru -
I dont know if you are being a smart ass or not , but thats the only way to control the stuff.
View Quote

[b]GunGuru and Col.Klink[/b], fire will not control bamboo in any manner. The roots that are underground survive the fire and, with its massive root systems, will come back with a vengeance!

Trust me, only mechanical removal, as I've described above, and as [b]green18[/b] has said as much, will control bamboo.

And bamboo is not pretty in the least, IMHO.

Eric The(Horticultural)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Can I just ask why would you want to get rid of bamboos in the first place? They're great plants. Require little attention, grow like hell. You can have a bamboo forest in no time.
View Quote

beacuse I'm trying to give my new yard some DISCIPLINE......and bamboo DOE NOT fit into the program.

The prior owner was a botanist for the Smithsonian, so he NEVER cut down ANYTHING. (Remind me to tell you about the tree right next to my foundation I'm having brought down next week, ugh!)

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#28]
sweet ass sweet, where in VA are you? I have some asian friends, we can all dress up an play "Nam"
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#29]
1. Cut stalks off at ground level with chain saw.
2. Bring in the asphalt truck and dump it 3" thick over the stumps and surrounding area.
3. Bring in enough top soil to cover the whole mess.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Post from bulldog1967 -
(Remind me to tell you about the tree right next to my foundation I'm having brought down next week, ugh!)
View Quote

Is it actually destroying your foundation?

That's odd, most trees will not hurt foundations, what sort of tree is it?

Eric The(Arborist)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#32]
It's a discipline thing man...
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Amusingly enough, this has gotten spread around on some gardening and hort boards, but is not true.

The chemical compounds considered as herbicide agents in Vietnam included 2,4-D; 2,4,5-T and its contaminant TCDD (or dioxin); cacodylic acid and picloram.

Roundup = Glyphosate, isopropylamine salt

I'm glad you wished for a better first post.

NMSight
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Amusingly enough, this has gotten spread around on some gardening and hort boards, but is not true.

The chemical compounds considered as herbicide agents in Vietnam included 2,4-D; 2,4,5-T and its contaminant TCDD (or dioxin); cacodylic acid and picloram.

Roundup = Glyphosate, isopropylamine salt

I'm glad you wished for a better first post.

NMSight
View Quote

Katana16j: If you read the label, Roundup turns into carbon dioxide  and water over time. The instruction say that you can used it around vegetables and fruits for human consumption if certain precautions are observed, and it is safe to use around birds and animals. For me personally though, I use it minimally around any food, just in case. I'm sure that the U.S. EPA would not allow the chemical to be sold to the general public if it were the dreaded Agent Orange of the VietNam war era. Check out the FAQs at the website [url]http://www.roundup.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Ahh, memories.  My first house had an entire yard of bamboo and banana plants, another demon from the underworld. To get rid of them I had to cut everything to the ground, then fine rototill to maximum depth on the machine.  It still came back.
Next, back with the rototiller, (Yard resembles fluffy brown sugar at this point) then cover swaths of yard with that black construction plastic they use on cement slabs, brace with concrete bags.  Leave in place for a month. Remove plastic, dance with joy at the sight of all the pasty white and very dead bamboo shoots.  Pull them out and lay sod as yard now looks like the surface of the moon. Total time for project, 2 months.  Total cost 599$ for rototiller, 88$ for plastic and concrete bags.      
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Scott
View Quote

There is bamboo in lots of places around here in No. Va.  I know two places in my neighborhood, and two in my old neighborhood that has big lots of bamboo.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Of course another alternative is to fertilize -

and open Bulldogs Bamboo Shoot Emporium.

NMSight
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#38]
I would place an ad for free bamboo in paper, maybe someone (tree-hugger as called here and republician hq)might take them.But just my 2 copper paper weights.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Post from bulldog1967 -
(Remind me to tell you about the tree right next to my foundation I'm having brought down next week, ugh!)
View Quote

Is it actually destroying your foundation?

That's odd, most trees will not hurt foundations, what sort of tree is it?

Eric The(Arborist)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

No its not coming through the foundation, BUT if it were to blow over in a storm, the roots would likely take a siginificant chunk outta the foundation. Its a Poplar tree.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#40]
This is what I did:
Cut each stalk of bamboo off at ground level.
Squirt one shot of roundup into the stalk (its hollow.)
This kills the roots and its relatively cheap albeit labor intensive.
Your mileage may vary but it worked for me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#41]
[img]http://www.nimn.org/images/bulldozer.jpg[/img]
:)

-T.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Seriously,

The only way my family could get rid of it:

Had the hard variety of bamboo, the stalks in the middle were 4 inches in diameter and 100 feet tall.  Natural haven for SCREAMING blackbirds.

Fenced the whole area with 2x4 welded wire fence and added about 10 goats.  Goats LOVE the stuff.  Was obliterated in about a year and a half and never came back.  2 acres of solid bamboo gone. and made enough money selling baby goats to cover the cost of the fence.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.nimn.org/images/bulldozer.jpg[/img]
:)

-T.
View Quote

Yoda's momma?

It just looks like she is trying to raise that bulldozer off the ground....

Scott
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Rock Salt
BamBoo is a bugger to get rid of, I had it in by back yard and underground the roots run a long distance.

The herbicide you need will be strog and harmful  Saturate around the plant with Rock Salt The salt will work its way into the root system and kill it
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Negative.  Roundup is Glyphosate.  Pretty much non-toxic, when used as intended.

Agent Orange was a witches brew of dioxin containing chemicals that are prohibited today.

Now if you don't mind sterilizing the soil and nothing growing back there for a few years, Pramitol will do a great job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top