Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2002 7:11:49 PM EDT
Which do you prefer? star wars  or Star Trek?
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
All of the above.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#2]
djk,

I just bust up laughing [b]EVERY[/b] time I read your new tagline....

I am a solid Trekkie. I have [b]TONS[/b] of reference works, including the entire run of "Galactic Engineer's Concordance". (Admittedly mixed, but mostly Trek ship designs by far.) I am mainly a fan of the neat starship designs. Trek just beats hands down for me. (Jackills' Guides are the best, by far.) Best part of "First Contact" was it had like [b]SEVEN[/b] new Federation ship designs, including the Sovereign class Enterprise Echo...

Scott

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/[/url]

Super-cool site with [b]MANY[/b] fan and official designs....

Scott

P.S. Main page has Babylon Five, Battlestar Galactica, and Battleship Yamamoto pages, too....

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Subject might get more hits in GD...

Scott

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#5]
at least i am not alone in my trekkieness!
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 4:39:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 5:19:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Hard one to answer.

Star Wars was great until Lucas ruined the "prequel" movies.  Episode 1 was bad enough, but I thought Episode 2 was even worse.  The series of novels that had been published in the interim kinda told me that it was going to suck, though -- the first few remained reasonably true to the series, until Kube-McDowell's first attempt got published, after (because of?) which they went down the toilet.

Star Trek has always been way too politically-correct.  "Enterprise" looked like it was going to be better through most of the last year, but toward the end they drifted back to the old mold.  Not to mention that they don't seem to be able to write an episode without mentioning the "temporal cold war" -- thank Ifni they don't have holosuites yet, or else we'd be treated to a holosuite temporal cold war episode every week.

In short, I prefer Babylon 5. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:02:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Star Trek for me.
Since the question was asked, one of the knowledgable TREK fans help me find a picture of a Starship that was in an episode of Voyager:

It was a picture of an
alternative design Federation starship I'm sure was on a Voyager
episode.  Captain Janeway was getting the truth out of some being that
had made everyone believe they were on a SuperStarship or something to
that effect.  The picture of this ship, as I remember it, WAS
ultra-streamlined and travelling at some as yet unheard of rate of
speed.  The closest guess I can come up with from the website is either the
Quantum Slipstream Drive or the Intrepid.  Can you verify and/or tell me
where I can get a better look at this ship?  The view on the episode was 3/4
left front and hauling ass!  Too fast for me and I only got to see it once.  

----------------
I asked this question recieved this answer from another source on the internet when I first got hooked up:

The starship you described may be anyone of the following possibilies:
1) Warship Voyager (from "Living Witness") - souped out version of existing
Intrepid-Class

2) Timeship Relativity (from "Relativity") - streamlined and unconventional
Starfleet design of 29th century manufacture

but the one I'm leaning towards is:

3) USS Dauntless (from "Hope and Fear") - streamlined; propulsion powered by
the aforementioned Quantum Slipstream Drive
--------------

What information or answers do you guys have...?

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Farscape
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hard one to answer.

Star Wars was great until Lucas ruined the "prequel" movies.  Episode 1 was bad enough, but I thought Episode 2 was even worse.  The series of novels that had been published in the interim kinda told me that it was going to suck, though -- the first few remained reasonably true to the series, until Kube-McDowell's first attempt got published, after (because of?) which they went down the toilet.
View Quote

As far as Star Wars novels go Kevin J Anderson is the master, although I didn't really like [i]Darksaber[/i] very much. I did like Kube-McDowell's [i]Black Fleet Crisis[/i] series though - for being some sort of hippie/folk-musician he seemed to have a pretty good grasp of the military mindset.

I like Star Trek mainly because of the science (nothing in Star Wars is really any more advanced than stuff we have now, with the exception of hyperdrives.) Star Trek invented "sciences" to explain concepts like transtator technology and magnetically-contained matter-antimatter reactions (although this doesn't seem to be anything we couldn't do today.) Star Wars just tells you "there's such thing as a hyperdrive" and you have to take the author's word for it - although the idea of an Interdictor cruiser capable of generating an artificial gravity well to "yank" ships out of hyperspace is interesting...I don't know if an analog exists in the Star Trek universe.

My favorite Star Trek novels so far are probably [i]Probe[/i], [i]Prime Directive[/i], and a few of the TNG novels whose names I can't remember at this time.

Star Wars seems much more realistic in the human sense - there's not all the "peace, pot & microdot" stuff about everyone having put their differences aside in the interest of the advancement of humanity (sentiencity?) In Star Wars, race, background, religion, etc, all divide people, just like they most likely always will.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the equipment, ships, etc much better in Star Wars.  Also loved the immense size of the ships.  Star Trek did not have enough of a military feel to it for me.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Star Trek is NOT about a war. It's more about exploration and discovering new peoples and places, going where no man has ever gone before (I know it's cheesy).
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Farscape
View Quote

Better yet they are showing [i]NEW[/i] episodes through the summer !
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, Farscape's John Crichton is by far, the best TV SciFi hero to come down the pike since Capt. James T. kirk.

For some reason Farscape reminds me of an old Brit SciFi TV series called Blake7, were all the occupants of a stolen ship were fugitives and Psycho's.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Star Trek for me.
Since the question was asked, one of the knowledgable TREK fans help me find a picture of a Starship that was in an episode of Voyager:

It was a picture of an

----------------
I asked this question recieved this answer from another source on the internet when I first got hooked up:

Intrepid-Class

--------------

View Quote

its th QSD, and its wasnt feddy tech. but a alien that didnt like voyager and her crew. ti was set to take them into a sun or some such way to destroy them once they took command of the new ship the "federation" sent. it was a ploy of course. janeway figureed it out with sevens help.

when the alien was caught and trapped in a corner a few crewys were aboard checking it out along with painway (oops.. i ment janeway) and the alien sent it off with him onboard. the stopped that to. btw the ep and shipname was Promethous.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Farscape
View Quote

that and Stargate SG1 (season 6 now on scifi).

John has gone just a little bananas from scorpy hangin around in his head.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I like Space:1999.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Trek by far. The Geek in me had read almost every ST novel that came out until about two years ago. They started this ploy of making the stories 4,5,6 books long and taking it from OT to TNG to DS9 to Voyager. I just got burned out on the whole thing. I have read many of the Star Wars books but just couldnt get into them, besides they killed off the Wookie. Pissed me off.

As far as Enterprise goes I'll give it some more time. I hated Voyager from day one but watched each week anyway. TNG was good but got preachy at times. After the second or third season of Deep Space 9 I really liked it. Hated they way they wrapped it up but it was my favorite of them all.
[IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/ups/unknown/lsvader.gif[/IMG]     [IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/otn/violent/trek.gif[/IMG]    
[img]http://www.smilies.nl/tales/borg3.gif[/img]  
[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/stormTrooper.gif[/img]  Now if we just had one of the Enterprise blasting Vaders ship
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#20]
SG1! ROCKS!!   i think DS9 got to religous near the end.  at first i hated VOY but now i like it.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, Voyager got good once they got Seven aboard.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah, Voyager got good once they got Seven aboard.
View Quote

7 saved VOYAGER
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Nerds.

[img]http://www.seanbaby.com/oldstuff/movies/dickface.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:08:21 AM EDT
[#24]
This article from Madogre.com absolutely says it all.  I'm not QUITE a Star Trek geek, but I enjoy Star Wars.  I just can't get behind the Hippies in Space concept.

http://www.madogre.com/SW%20Articles/Empire%20Rules.htm

----------------------------------------
The Empire Rules The Sci-Fi Universe

FACT: THE EMPIRE KICKS ASS
Take away the Rebellion, and the Empire stands alone in the genre of sci-fi and fantasy universes as the #1 Super Power. Look at the other Sci-Fi universes, and even those toughest forces would simply get SPANKED by the Empire. Let's look at some of the others here...

Star Trek

The Enterprise is half science research platform, and half Love Boat. Okay, yeah, it has some shields... and a PHASER ARRAY. But what is that going to do against a single Imperial Star Destroyer? This goes for even the toughest Klingon warship as well. Here's the deal.  

Picture this lonely star system out in the middle of nowhere. Enter the Federation Ship. It scans around, sends a party of Pajama Clad pansies, an "Away Team", to the surface.  Enter the Imperial Star Destroyer. (You can her the music can't you?)   The Impstar instantly picks up the signal of the Federation ship and heads over - all ready, looking to kick its butt, just because it looks silly.  The Empire has no tolerance for silly.  Aboard the Federation ship, there is a lot of dialog going on about hailing frequencies and channels, and debating upon raising shields.  Aboard the Impstar, Ties are already scrambling,  and the Captain simply says "You may fire when ready."  The Fed's shields would be knocked down after just a couple of turbo laser hits, the Ties would be ripping up all kinds of havoc.  Tie Pilots saying "Please launch a runabout, please oh please..."  And after just a few seconds, the Fed would be a drifting hulk. Make that several peices of drifting hulks. A couple Lambda class shuttles would launch, landing an actual squad of Troopers armed with BLASTERS and kick some Away Team's nuts.

The Away Team, of course, would consist of high ranking Federation command crew, so after blasting a couple, and the rest surrendering, the real fun would begin.  Prisoners would be taken aboard the Impstar and a Fed Telepath or Empath would go into shock and a coma upon sensing the Imps "feelings".  So the rest of the Away team would get systematically tortured until they reveal the location of the rest of the Federation.   Then they would be tortured some more, just out of principle.  Remember what they did to Han?  Heck, they even liked Han!  He was one of them at one point.   They had the same teachers and what not.

I would give the Federation and the Klingons maybe a month, tops, before the Empire had puppet governments on each of the planets and Regional Governors keeping all the local systems in line. Any trouble spots would get the AT-AT treatment, or an orbital-based Turbo Laser bombardment until a Death Star came around and simply popped the whole place like a balloon.   Swarms of Ties would keep the Fed Gunners too busy and an Interdictor Cruiser would keep the Fed ships from leaving the party.  This would make a fun Anime Movie. (Hey, Japan - make it and I will buy it!)

(continued)
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:13:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Babylon 5

Now this hurts, cause I LIKE B5.  But B5 would last 10 minutes at most.   Garibaldi would swoop in with a squadron of Star Furies and get busy against the Ties.   But look - while the fighters are mixing it up in a space knife fight, that BIG ASS EVIL DORITO CHIP simply slides past and wails on the B5 itself.    An Imperial Star Destroyer has what? A hundred Turbo Lasers capable of forward fire?  As the Wise Old Owl said "How many licks does it take?" One, ta-who...tthhree.  

Okay, in come the Narns and Centari cruisers.  In come some ImpStar Dueces and Lancer Frigates.  We would get a visual treat for a few moments,  but after all the Ties launch like swarms of pissed off Killer Bees, it would all be over but the clean up work. Shadows, too - they could run in on a surprise attack - and then get swatted down like the ugly bugs they are by 700 blasts of heavy T-L fire.  Done.

I think Garibaldi would survive - and end up working with Talon Karde selling slightly vented Star Furies to back water rim colonies.

MIB

Who is next? Lets get funky here - MIBs.  Vader would just simply CHOKE them from the bridge of his Cruiser, turn with flourish of swinging cape with the remark of "All too easy..."  He'd then go back to his THX home entertainment sphere and watch weird Stanley Kubrick films or his soaps thinking "I used to have better hair than that..." and humming to himself old songs like "To all the worlds I've blown before..."

(That's a funny thought - after a planetary assualt, the Stoorm Troopers are marching back to the shuttles singing "M-I-C-K-E-Y... M-O-U-S-E",  like at the end of Full Metal Jacket. Rest in Peace Kubrick, I loved your work...just not as much as Lucas')

UNITED STATES

What about the Empire versus the USA? With President Clinton? Heck, Slick Willie would make a deal so fast it would put Lando to shame. I can just see Clinton Chuckling - "Yeah, you can have all the republicans... if I can just have Leia and Mon Mothma together with a box of Cubans..."

Now that would be scary... Bill Clinton, the Regional Governor in orbit aboard an Impstar Duece, wearing jack boots and a grey imperial uniform.   Of course his only train of thought would be "I wonder if they have a hot tub in this thing, 'cause this baby is AWESOME for cruising for chicks!"

----------------------------------------

Any questions?
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#26]
But how about the Empire vs the Borg? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#27]
actually there is mod for one of the star trek armada games that lets you pit TNG star trek against star wars. damn near bought armada just to play that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Star Trek for me.

It was a picture of an

----------------

Intrepid-Class

--------------

View Quote

its th QSD, and its wasnt feddy tech. but a alien that didnt like voyager and her crew. ti was set to take them into a sun or some such way to destroy them once they took command of the new ship the "federation" sent. it was a ploy of course. janeway figureed it out with sevens help.

when the alien was caught and trapped in a corner a few crewys were aboard checking it out along with painway (oops.. i ment janeway) and the alien sent it off with him onboard. the stopped that to. btw the ep and shipname was Promethous.
View Quote

Prometheus was the "multi-vector attack" starship in the episode "Prometheus". Holo-doc got sent to the Alpha quadrant through the Hirogen com network. Helped a Mark II holo-doc save the Prometheus from Romulan high-jackers...

(BTW, "Star Trek: Nemesis" (Star Trek Ten) will feature a Romulan plot to take over (or destroy Earth.) Looks like the Romulans are back on a "bad guy" swing....

Scott

[img]http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/tacticalcruiser_prometheus.jpg[/img]
The Prometheus (From Shipschematics.net)

[img]http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/galexploration_dauntless.jpg[/img]
The Dauntless (From Shipschematics.net)

The Prometheus is a Federation design. The Dauntless was the fake Starfleet ship with the "Quantum Slipstream Drive" the alien faked as a trap.

[url]http://us.imdb.com/Title?0253754[/url]
The IMDb page for "Star Trek: Nemesis". Has two [b]GREAT[/b] quotes, already...

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
actually there is mod for one of the star trek armada games that lets you pit TNG star trek against star wars. damn near bought armada just to play that.
View Quote

Know what it is called, and which game it is for? I have "Armada II"...

Scott

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
But how about the Empire vs the Borg? [:D]
View Quote

I doubt if the (less advanced) technology of the Empire would last long against a TNG Borg Cube. Now, the [b]MUCH[/b] less adaptive "First Contact"/"Voyager" cubes might not roll over the sector with ease. (Anyone else notice that almost every Federation shot in the battle in Earth orbit during "First Contact" penetrated the Borg shields and did damage?)

Scott

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Other than hyperdrive, we could probably match or beat a lot of the technology in Star Wars. Just need the right genius making the right discovery....

Scott

P.S. Trek still rules!!!!!

[img]http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/altuniverse/planetarydefender_hellspawn.jpg[/img]

Fan design from the alternate universe first seen in "Mirror, Mirror". The pointy things all over the place are called mega-phasers. Like phasers, but raised to the third power or so...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top