User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 149
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By pepperbelly:

Originally Posted By M1-Ed:

Your goose story reminded me of one.

Late one night while on patrol (back when I was LEO), I took a report of a stolen bike. About an hour later and a few blocks down there was another thief call.

Having a good idea who was doing it and where he was headed I got out on foot to stalk him. I was sneaking through some brush (on the side of the road) to where he lived. A few minutes passed and I saw the guy coming down the street on the stolen bike. Just as I was getting ready to put the Habeas Grabis on him there was a blood curdling scream behind me.

I jumped about 10 feet straight up. The thief fell off the bike and saw me and hollered don't shoot. When I got my wits together. I handcuffed the guy than checked on what made the noise. Turns out it was 4 Geese that belonged to an old lady who kept them as watch dogs.

That was the most scared had ever been on the job.

Ed

You should walk under a tree with peacocks in it. I damn near pissed my pants.

We used to live down the road from a family that raised peacocks. Their children liked our collie so my Dad gave him to them. Before that they would squawk all day. After they got the collie as soon as they made a noise it would round them up and they would shut up.

Ed

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Late one night while on patrol (back when I was LEO), I took a report of a stolen bike. About an hour later and a few blocks down there was another thief call.

Having a good idea who was doing it and where he was headed I got out on foot to stalk him. I was sneaking through some brush (on the side of the road) to where he lived. A few minutes passed and I saw the guy coming down the street on the stolen bike. Just as I was getting ready to put the Habeas Grabis on him there was a blood curdling scream behind me.

I jumped about 10 feet straight up. The thief fell off the bike and saw me and hollered don't shoot. When I got my wits together. I handcuffed the guy than checked on what made the noise. Turns out it was 4 Geese that belonged to an old lady who kept them as watch dogs.

Ed

We used to live down the road from a family that raised peacocks. Their children liked our collie so my Dad gave him to them. Before that they would squawk all day. After they got the collie as soon as they made a noise it would round them up and they would shut up.

Ed

I had to check a house on patrol once. I walked under a tree late on a dark, quiet night. Then I heard a spawn of hell above me. Until that night I didn't know that your blood can really run cold. I swear I thought I was a dead man.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Creepy thread is still creepy after a year.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Ed

Mating raccoons are noisy as hell, too, and scary if you don't know what they are. First time I encountered them I shined their eyes about 30 feet up in a ecualyptis tree.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Reposting from my thread in team. This happened this week.

Backstory: my GF from college and I had a rabbit that we book looked after. I really liked the furball and missed it after we split. I haven’t talked to my ex for about 6 months. Haven’t thought about the rabbit it an even longer time.

Saturday night I had an odd, very real dream. The rabbit came to live with me and my cat, and they were getting along just fine. Best friends. The dream was very detailed with the rabbit running around my house, doing all the things rabbits do and playing around with my cat.

My ex calls me Sunday morning sobbing, saying that she found the rabbit dead that morning.

That’s odd, right? I can’t get this out of my head. I’m kinda sad about the rabbit passing, but I’m more concerned with having a dream about the thing the very night of its death.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#6]
My 10 year old  son occasionally wakes up for the toilet at night / early morning, he needs to walk past our room to get there.

A few nights ago my wife woke up at 3am and as she did she was facing the door, we have the hall way light on at night so we don't kill or incapacitate ourselve3s when we get up (It is wicked dark in that hall at night)

Anyway, as she woke up she saw our son begin to walk past our door and then hesitate like he normally does when he is half awake and then proceed past the door toward the toilet.

As he walked past the door she realized that he had already come to our bed and was sleeping between us, we only have one child, she woke me up and I cleared the house but she was certain she saw him, I left it alone but the next day I asked her more about it because I could see it was on her mind and she does not have any interest in supernatural occurrences, she has no wish to explore the subject at all.

She told me that what she was was more of a shadow about the right size for our son and her mind immediately told her she saw our son, but he was asleep in the bed with us.

My son tried like hell to get out of sleeping, he hates going to sleep, he tries to convince us he needs to do extra homework, read a book or do something but sleep, he has not gone to sleep before 11:30pm for a long time, he eventually gets so tired that he passes out and that is the only way he sleeps.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't figure out how to subscribe....but wanna find this thread again!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By p2tharizo:
Can't figure out how to subscribe....but wanna find this thread again!

Only Team Members can subscribe.  Either pony up the $24, or if you can't/won't, you can always just bookmark this thread within your browser.  That's how I did it when I let my membership lapse.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:59:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DangerJ:

Backstory: my GF from college and I had a rabbit that we book looked after. I really liked the furball and missed it after we split. I haven’t talked to my ex for about 6 months. Haven’t thought about the rabbit it an even longer time.

Saturday night I had an odd, very real dream. The rabbit came to live with me and my cat, and they were getting along just fine. Best friends. The dream was very detailed with the rabbit running around my house, doing all the things rabbits do and playing around with my cat.

My ex calls me Sunday morning sobbing, saying that she found the rabbit dead that morning.

That’s odd, right? I can’t get this out of my head. I’m kinda sad about the rabbit passing, but I’m more concerned with having a dream about the thing the very night of its death.

This shit is creepy.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:59:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Berettadeprived:
My 10 year old  son occasionally wakes up for the toilet at night / early morning, he needs to walk past our room to get there.

A few nights ago my wife woke up at 3am and as she did she was facing the door, we have the hall way light on at night so we don't kill or incapacitate ourselve3s when we get up (It is wicked dark in that hall at night)

Anyway, as she woke up she saw our son begin to walk past our door and then hesitate like he normally does when he is half awake and then proceed past the door toward the toilet.

As he walked past the door she realized that he had already come to our bed and was sleeping between us, we only have one child, she woke me up and I cleared the house but she was certain she saw him, I left it alone but the next day I asked her more about it because I could see it was on her mind and she does not have any interest in supernatural occurrences, she has no wish to explore the subject at all.

She told me that what she was was more of a shadow about the right size for our son and her mind immediately told her she saw our son, but he was asleep in the bed with us.

My son tried like hell to get out of sleeping, he hates going to sleep, he tries to convince us he needs to do extra homework, read a book or do something but sleep, he has not gone to sleep before 11:30pm for a long time, he eventually gets so tired that he passes out and that is the only way he sleeps.

Okay, this shit is creepy too.

(There, that was 2 BTTs).
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:28:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jmay622133] [#11]
Originally Posted By Asimpledumbguy:
This reminds me about that creepy or wierd things found in the woods post back in my lurking days.  I remember one entry about somone finding a wooden cross in the middle of the woods with nails and blood stains, associated with devil worshipers.  Creeeeepy!

stumbled upon a group of those sick fucks while deer hunting many moons ago in rural north carolina. heard a chanting and saw candles glowing in the darkness. when i mean rural, im talking not a stoplight for 20 square miles rural. looked at my buddy and he looked at me with a look of terror. we hauled ass back to the truck. a 1985 ford f-150 will go 105 m.p.h.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:21:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Axethrower] [#12]
Sure are some great stories in this old thread, and this is the time of year to read them again

I've looked through the pages for a specific story in both this thread and the old creepy-thread, but I can't find it. It's about an older guy who is in the woods, hunting from his treestand. He is attacked by some bigfoot-creature who tries to get him out of the treestand, but it disappears once the guy gets his rifle. Anyone else read it/remember it? I'm quite certain I read it here on arfcom.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:26:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Axethrower:
Sure are some great stories in this old thread, and this is the time of year to read them again

I've looked through the pages for a specific story in both this thread and the old creepy-thread, but I can't find it. It's about an older guy who is in the woods, hunting from his treestand. He is attacked by some bigfoot-creature who tries to get him out of the treestand, but it disappears once the guy gets his rifle. Anyone else read it/remember it? I'm quite certain I read it here on arfcom.

You didn't look hard enough.  Go back 1 page in this thread, and the link to the story you seek is about halfway down the page.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:40:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Axethrower] [#14]
Originally Posted By NY_Shooter:

You didn't look hard enough.  Go back 1 page in this thread, and the link to the story you seek is about halfway down the page.

Thanks, but I still can't find it You sure it's on the first page (my browser divides thread in 34 pages)? Would you mind reposting the link?
Edit for clarity.

Ahahahaaahh, found it after all, thanks a lot That's a good story.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a few but this is the only one that really scared the ever loving piss out of me. I was about 7-8 at the time. There was a fall carnival at a local church that me and the parents went to. When we went home probably around 8PM my Dad broke the telescope out to look at 3 planets that were aligned that night.(Knowing some astronomy I should know but this was 20 years ago)

We set it up on the trunk of my grandmother's car. I'm a little bored at this time so I'm kinda staring off looking around when my eyes catch my Dad's face which is pale as can be with his jaw dropped. I look up to see what he's looking at and there is a white disc floating through the sky slow and silent. After staring matching my fathers face with my own blank, white and touching dirt; I bolted straight up in the air and jolted into the house dove behind my grandfather's chair and hid.

My grandparents stood up and pretty much said "WTF is going on?" All I can manage was "The Aliens are coming." My grandfather went to the front door and looked up and watched it for a few moments. When it passed to the backside of the house my father and grandfather went to the back door and it was completely gone. I remember that day like it were yesterday. Scared the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By 6winchester2:

This shit is creepy.

That rabbit liked you, too...

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#17]

For a split second I thought I might have duped myself

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#18]
well maybe not too creepy but interesting anyway.

I was out about 1am chasing off the coydogs and I stop to take a leak,while pondering the mysterys of the universe,I see a streak of light come across the sky just like a falling star,more than halfway across the sky it takes a 90degree angle at the same speed and shoots off.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#19]
This story took place in the mid 80's when I was married to my first Wife.
One night I was laying on my back and dreaming that was floating above the bed about a foot. Then I started to fly pass the foot of the bed than I turned 90 degrees and headed towards the bedroom door.
As I was floating I noticed that I couldn't move any part of my body. I couldn't even turn my head. It was a strain just too move my eyes from side to side. And when I did I glanced what most people describe a Aliens. There were on each side of me but I didn't think they were holding me up. Something else was making me float.
As we passed the bed it got easier for me to move my eyes than I was able to turn my head a little. I kept fighting against what was holding me and I could tell that I was winning. I knew that I did not want to go with these creatures as I didn't think I would be coming back.
Finally the hold on my head was gone and I was able to turn and get a good look at these things. They were about 4 feet tall with long arms. Large heads and large black eyes.
I felt me fingers wiggle. Than my wrist move. In a flash the hold on my entire body was gone. I swung at the the being next to my right arm and knock it aside. There was a bright flash and I fell to the floor.
My wife woke up and saw me laying flat on the floor and asked me what the hell was I doing? Why I couldn't just go to sleep like real people?
So I went to the bathroom than back to bed. Was it a dream or was it real?
Ed

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By robplumm:

Originally Posted By 6winchester2:

This shit is creepy.

That rabbit liked you, too...

That post just broke my heart

RIP Pebbles.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#21]
About 10 years ago, my father died. He'd had a heart attack at home, followed by a stroke in the hospital. My brother had been notified that he was in bad shape, and was preparing to come home. He and his daughter were in the living room when the front door just opened by itself. This door wasn't normally prone do doing this and was closed firmly. His daughter said, "It's the house ghost!" Brother paused, then said, "No, it's Dad... coming to say goodbye." This was in the afternoon; Dad was declared about 0200 the next morning.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Jaster:
I have a few but this is the only one that really scared the ever loving piss out of me. I was about 7-8 at the time. There was a fall carnival at a local church that me and the parents went to. When we went home probably around 8PM my Dad broke the telescope out to look at 3 planets that were aligned that night.(Knowing some astronomy I should know but this was 20 years ago)

We set it up on the trunk of my grandmother's car. I'm a little bored at this time so I'm kinda staring off looking around when my eyes catch my Dad's face which is pale as can be with his jaw dropped. I look up to see what he's looking at and there is a white disc floating through the sky slow and silent. After staring matching my fathers face with my own blank, white and touching dirt; I bolted straight up in the air and jolted into the house dove behind my grandfather's chair and hid.

My grandparents stood up and pretty much said "WTF is going on?" All I can manage was "The Aliens are coming." My grandfather went to the front door and looked up and watched it for a few moments. When it passed to the backside of the house my father and grandfather went to the back door and it was completely gone. I remember that day like it were yesterday. Scared the hell out of me.

We have some of these "white disks" flying around in Albuquerque. I put a pair of binoculars on one of them and found it was a weather balloon. They look very eerie at dusk, when things around you are getting dark but the sun is still in the sky, illuminating the balloon.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Captain_Morgan:

I am not sure if this counts as a doppleganger, but if not it's close.

Back in the '70s I had a CB radio- like almost everyone else. In our small city we had a CB club. Mostly just bs'ing, fox hunts and general goofing off.
There were a few older people that would talk on their home radios, and I was "friends" with one. She was about 50 or older, which to my 18 year old understanding made her a dinosaur. One day she invited me to come to her house and see her new flowers. Everyone knew she had a greenhouse out back and was really into flowers. Since we had never met face to face she gave me directions.
I found her house easily and knocked on her door. She opened it and almost fainted. I thought she was having some kind of fit, but she recovered. When I asked if she was OK she could barely talk and just dragged me into her living room. I was started to get weirded out a little until she showed me a picture- of me. It was a guy in Army uniform and I swear it was like looking in the mirror.
She finally managed to tell me who he was. Her daughter was engaged to the soldier and was stationed in Germany. They were getting married as soon as he came home in 6 months or so.
A little later her daughter walked in the door, saw me and ran and jumped onto my lap and started kissing me. Her mother just started laughing and the daughter asked her what was up. When I said that I really didn't mind but she was making a mistake she jumped across the room scared to death.
It took a few minutes for her to calm down enough for her mother to explain. Apparently I looked exactly like him but sounded nothing like him. We all ended up having a long laugh and they took pics with me to send to him.
I didn't think it was eery- just weird. I wish I had stayed in touch with them. I wonder if we still look alike.

Back in college, there was some guy that looked just like me.  Apparently, friends of mine would mistakenly approach him and friends of his would approach me.  We never met though, lol.  

OH big deal just ONE look-a-like, I have at least 6 and counting on the east coast. every time I meed a new group of people they know another of my doppelgangers. it starts to get old

OH and I sound like all of them to
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 12:57:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By bearman71:

Back in the '70s I had a CB radio- like almost everyone else. In our small city we had a CB club. Mostly just bs'ing, fox hunts and general goofing off.
There were a few older people that would talk on their home radios, and I was "friends" with one. She was about 50 or older, which to my 18 year old understanding made her a dinosaur. One day she invited me to come to her house and see her new flowers. Everyone knew she had a greenhouse out back and was really into flowers. Since we had never met face to face she gave me directions.
I found her house easily and knocked on her door. She opened it and almost fainted. I thought she was having some kind of fit, but she recovered. When I asked if she was OK she could barely talk and just dragged me into her living room. I was started to get weirded out a little until she showed me a picture- of me. It was a guy in Army uniform and I swear it was like looking in the mirror.
She finally managed to tell me who he was. Her daughter was engaged to the soldier and was stationed in Germany. They were getting married as soon as he came home in 6 months or so.
A little later her daughter walked in the door, saw me and ran and jumped onto my lap and started kissing me. Her mother just started laughing and the daughter asked her what was up. When I said that I really didn't mind but she was making a mistake she jumped across the room scared to death.
It took a few minutes for her to calm down enough for her mother to explain. Apparently I looked exactly like him but sounded nothing like him. We all ended up having a long laugh and they took pics with me to send to him.
I didn't think it was eery- just weird. I wish I had stayed in touch with them. I wonder if we still look alike.

Back in college, there was some guy that looked just like me.  Apparently, friends of mine would mistakenly approach him and friends of his would approach me.  We never met though, lol.  

OH big deal just ONE look-a-like, I have at least 6 and counting on the east coast. every time I meed a new group of people they know another of my doppelgangers. it starts to get old

Those are clones, not dopplegangers. Your ass is grass.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 2:34:27 AM EDT
[#25]

There's at least one Arfcommer who has posted his picture, who looks enough like me to be a twin.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:

There's at least one Arfcommer who has posted his picture, who looks enough like me to be a twin.

That was a picture of Bigfoot.

Ed

Link Posted: 11/25/2012 5:47:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bearman71] [#27]
and I have one story I will share.

Back when I was a child like 5th grade or so I lived in a neighborhood that was just built and in the middle of it there was a fenced off grave yard that all of us little kids were curious about but never messed with it because we thought that shit was haunted right? well this one little shit kid who thought he was a bad ass because his dad was in the navy and would harass all the other kids decided that it was a great idea to go in and piss on what we thought was the tomb stone. well not even a freaking month later his house burnt to the ground, like not a single thing left. the crazy part was when the fire department came and hooked up the the fire hydrants they had water pressure so they as well as the whole neighborhood just had to stand there and watch the house burn down. and only after that kids house was done did the water pressure finally come back I guess.

Hell I never put 2 and 2 together untill just now, I guess that brings back the dont mess with the dead thing.

Edit: this was in Manassas Va where allot of creepy shit has happened
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 2:24:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Those are clones, not dopplegangers. Your ass is grass.

aww shit, every thing makes sense now
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Ed

Ed

The family farm had some peacocks .....they sounded like a blood curdling scream when they sounded off

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Alrighty...I guess I need to add to this. Courtesy of the wife. I've mentioned in this thread at some point about my parent's house. I've had whispers in my ear, they've had pictures fall 6+ feet high off walls onto hardwood and slate floors and not break the glass in the frame or bend the nail holding the picture in the wall, other things fall off the walls, etc. My sisters have heard voices there as well.

Soooo....wife went to my parent's house for T-Day (down in Calhoun, GA...). I had to come out here to Temple, TX for work, so just her and son Jake (2..). Change of weather, new allergans, both got snuffy noses, etc.

Few days in, wife's upstairs in bed and hears a voice. Couldn't hear what it said...but clearly a woman's voice in a whisper. Little freaked, but not shocked. Wife said : "I know you're here, I know you're a spirit, I'm not afraid of you. Give me a sign that you're really good, make me feel better"

She said she immediately felt something push against her chest and couldn't move, her body felt cold and couldn't do anything but lay there for about a minute. She then felt a release and warm. As that happened, her head didn't hurt, her nose was clear and could breathe fine (allergy issues left...). Said when she went downstairs, the same was true for Jake...he longer had a runny nose or eyes.

Second...from her facebook post: Jakey holding my hands and ready to jump off
the bed, stopping all of a sudden looking somewhere behind me in the
corner and asking:  "who is that, Mama?" - Me: "Oh, over there?
(pointing to a corner) It is just a friendly woman.  Is she waving at
you?"  Jake:  "Yeah, Mama - who is that?" - Freaky start of the
day...... one more night...

There's my contribution for the never ending thread

Link Posted: 11/30/2012 3:02:48 AM EDT
[#31]
I was started to get weirded out a little until she showed me a picture- of me. It was a guy in Army uniform and I swear it was like looking in the mirror.

My youngest nephew looks a LOT like my Dad did when both were about 18. Dad's pic was of him in his Army Cadet uniform; nephew was in civvie garb; both had the same smart-ass grin and they could have been twins!

My brother (father of the above nephew) was a twin of Mom's brother, his uncle... I saw a pic of Uncle once, with his 3 sisters, ca. 1940 or so... he could have been my brother wearing a fedora.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I would like to throw out a big thank-you to M1-Ed for his participation in this thread.  

Ed, you're a natural story-teller, and have obviously led a fascinating life; The Creepy seems to have followed you around, and I, for one, am glad you're willing to put your stories out here for all of us to enjoy.  

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 3:07:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AlmightyTallest] [#33]
I just read through the first two pages of this long thread..... Am an not going to sleep.. Ever..

But I want to read more!  
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll toss in a coupe of mine.  The first two were I believe sleep paralysis related.

As a young kid I lucked out with a used but still awesome bunk bed.  Extra cool as I was an only child and got to make the think in to all types of neat forts.  My parents had put it in my room in a way that the foot of the bed was about three feet from my bedroom door which let to the hallway.  Three rooms branched of the hallway:  bathroom, parents room and living room.  At the end of the hallway was a door that let to the den.  A red night light lit the hallway up but the open door to the den was always shrouded in shadow.

On night I was lying in bed and noticed something in the shadows at the end of the hall.  Couldn't make it out but it was a sort of lighter shadow within the shadow.  This "thing" stayed immobile for several minutes.  Suddenly a man emerged from the shadow.  He was tall, at least 6 feet or more and had a look like Boris Karloffs Frankenstein.  Not in a dead way but an eyes half closed sleepy sort of way.  As soon as he emerged from the shadow he briskly walked down the hall.  As soon as he hit the treshold of my door he vanished.  At this point I attempted to scream but nothing came out.  I was frozen solid.  As my mind was making sense of what I just saw I noticed the "something" within the shadow again.  I dreaded what was to come and again it came.  Same as before the man vanished at the threshold of my door.   Paralyzed with fear I could do nothing as the event repeated 5 or 6 more times that evening.  I finally cried myself to sleep after the events ceased.

Another time I was a bit older and my parents had a full sized bed installed in my room (goodbye sweet bunk bed) with the head against the far back wall.  One morning I wake up and at the foot of my bed I could see the top of seconds head peeking over the end board.  I glanced toward the door and back and the head was gone.  This event happened numerous times and I have read similar accounts from people with sleep paralysis which leads me to believe the two mentioned incidents were indeed sleep paralysis.

Another time when I was a teenager I was allowed to stay home alone as my parents went on a date night to some country cooking place an hour and a half away. While in out den I looked up and saw a man looking at me through the porch window.  I jumped up and hid behind a chair.  I called our neighbor who came over and saw nothing but to this day I am always paranoid about people looking in on me at night.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By pinabyu:
This is not my story, but it is one of the scariest ones I've ever read:

When I and my wife were quite a bit younger, we decided that we would spend the bicentennial outdoors. Yes, July of '76......we're old. We lived in Pueblo at the time, and decided to go hiking, fishing and camp along Lime Creek between Durango and Silverton. There wasn't anything other than brookies in the creek, but they were plentiful and fun to catch.

We left our car by the side of the road along Old Lime Creek Road about 5 miles in from the highway and packed in upstream along the creek with our shepherd, Rebel. It only took us about an hour to get to where we wanted to camp, a nice meadow beside the creek just before a slot canyon that required you to swim to get any further upstream. Either that or take a several mile detour.

We camped uneventfully that night, the third of July, enjoying the sounds of the rippling creek and nature all around us. It was such a nice night that we just slept out under the stars, didn't bother to pitch our little backpacking tent. A little cool, but we had the fire going and our lightweight 30 degree bags, so we were very comfortable.

The next day we had breakfast, packed up and we all swam our way up the creek to the next wide spot with a bit of bank in the canyon, only about 150 yards or so. Now Rebel was never one to turn down a chance to get wet, but we had to do quite a bit of coaxing to get him to follow us up the creek. We fished and splashed upstream a bit, and before we knew it it was lunchtime. We thought we'd fry up some of those brookies but we were in this slot canyon that terminated in a fairly deep pool with about a ten foot rocky waterfall at the end of it.

We decided that I would scale the waterfall and pull the dog and the packs up and then I'd help Maggie get up. It was fairly difficult, even with the help of an old cable left over from a mining operation that was hanging down the side wall of the canyon. It took a LOT of effort and though we finally made it, we looked back down that waterfall and wondered what the heck we were thinking. Rebel was none too happy about it either, and seemed to get more irritable by the minute. We found enough driftwood at the rocky top of the falls to get a fire started and get the fish fried up, but that was about it.

You know the uneasy feeling that several others have mentioned? It was like a switch turned on and we all of a sudden became aware of our surroundings. It grew like a cancer and I actually watched the hair on the back of Rebel's neck stand up. Maggie felt it too and we both noticed that it was getting dark FAST down in this canyon. First thought in my head was a cat, and I actually felt a bit better about that because I figured the cat would leave us be, between the fire and the dog. I told Maggie what I thought and she seemed to feel a bit better, too.

I did not want to get caught in the dark in the canyon, for a bunch of reasons, flash floods etc. I spied what looked like a mine shaft about 2 hundred feet above us, a heck of a steep climb, but it looked like our best bet. We pulled out our flashlights and by the time we reached it it was PITCH black. The dog was a mess by this point, whipping around in circles, whining, yelping and generally being a real pain in the ass. Maggie and I were drenched with sweat and immediately began to freeze. July in the mountains is a weird thing, I have seen blizzard conditions before, but this was like someone turned on the deep freeze.

We were at what looked like the start of a mine, it only went back about ten feet, but there was evidence of fires at the mouth, and they curiously looked fresh. I was too tired to think more about it, I knew we had to get out of our wet clothes, pitch the tent, and climb in our bags before we got serious hypothermia. That was NO fun, let me tell you, having to do all of that by the light of our rapidly dying flashlight. And there was NO firewood anywhere close.

I cursed myself several times for letting things get this far out of control. We finally got the tent pitched right there in the back of this little cave , buck naked as we had no dry clothes left. The sleeping bags were slightly damp too, even though we had stuffed them in plastic garbage bags before our swimming expedition up the canyon. WE FROZE!! It was miserable.

About 1 in the morning I called Rebel into the tent for a little heat. The dog seemed to have calmed down greatly, and with the added heat we drifted off. Sometime during the night I heard something that just about woke me, I was still in a haze, so I fell asleep again immediately. I woke up one other time, because I thought I heard Rebel yip a little bit, but again I was in and out. I put my hand out to pet his head and he licked my hand. I fell asleep again. Maggie later said she fell asleep the same time as I did but never woke up at all during the night.

I woke to the most horrible noise I have ever heard come out of a hundred pound woman. Just the most God-awful shrieks that I have ever heard. I never want to hear that again.

I opened my eyes just in time to see a man at the mouth of the shaft, silhouetted against the morning daylight, looking back at us with the most twisted evil grin I have ever seen on the face of another human. I scrambled to get free of my tightly zipped bag and the little tent while he just crouched there and grinned. When I was just about free, he disappeared. Now, we were granola crunchin' tree huggin' anti-gun nature freaks at the time, so the only thing I had of any consequence as a weapon was my camp knife. I found it after what seemed like hours of searching, but really was probably under a minute. I very cautiously made my way to the entrance, millimeters at a time. The guy was gone.

About that time Maggie started screaming and whimpering again so I rushed back to the back of the shaft. She had struggled out of the tent and was pointing at what used to be Rebel. His head was nearly severed, and the tent and the bags were ruined with the blood all over everything. She had blood all over her, so the first thing I did was make sure she was not injured. Then I checked myself. We were ok,it was all Rebel's blood.

We put on our still damp cold clothes from the night before and then we noticed that our boots were gone. We were in trouble. I had some paracord, so we tied some shirts and towels around our feet and climbed back down towards the creek. We left everything in the mine, except for the knife and some stuff that we shoved in our pockets. It took us 8 hours to get back down to the car, and we were like hamburger. Hands, feet, arms and legs scraped raw, bruised and bleeding. We jumped in, the car started right up thankfully and we left a dust cloud that blanketed the valley as we sped down the rough trail toward Durango.

We limped into the Sheriff's office and we looked like hell. We got our story out, my wife through tears and me talking waaay too fast. but finally got it all out. The deputy said that they would go out first thing in the morning and asked us to stay in town. We had no money for a hotel, so he let us stay in a cell after we showered and changed into prison jumpsuits.

We were there at the jail waiting when the "expedition" returned with the convoy of three trucks. I noticed that all the officers, who were quite wet and filthy, gave us dirty looks as they passed us, and the Deputy that we had talked to the day before herded us back to his office. Then came the interrogation. Turns out that some animal had spread the dog's remains all down the slide to the creek, and he said that there was nothing else there. No tent, no backpacks, nothing. He asked us if we had any drugs. I did not want to admit to him that we had some herb, so I denied it.

It was clear that we were fighting a losing battle. They had come to the conclusion that we were wandering out in the woods high on LSD while a mountain lion had gotten our dog. The bastard even made us change back into our filthy clothes and give back the jumpsuits right then. He told us that he had better never see us again. We left. Maggie was sobbing. I never have been back to Durango.

The thing that I still have nightmares about years later, and I have never mentioned this to Maggie, is....... the second time I woke up when I heard Rebel yelp, was that when his throat was cut?.......and if it was, was it the dog who licked my hand before I fell back asleep?

I still go out in the wilderness, never overnight, out well before dark, only with other people, and always with a big gun. I respect animals, but I fear people.

This story gets me everytime.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#36]
The strangest thing I've ever encountered was the night my grandfather died.
I had surgery scheduled very early one morning and my wife, girlfriend at the time, was going to take me to the hospital as my family was visiting a different hospital where my grandfather was at. I set the alarm clock, went to bed, and fell asleep. The alarm clock rings, I turn off the alarm, and proceed to get ready. I had told my girlfriend to call me before she left her house to make sure I was awake. The phone rings so I assume it's her. I answer the phone and my brother explains that my grandfather had died about 11:30, roughly 15 minutes ago. I asked him what he meant about 15 minutes ago? I thought it was about 5 in the morning. I looked down and the clock and realized what time it really was. Now my heart begins to pound very fast. My alarm had gone off about 6 hours too soon and I had turn the alarm completely off. Why did the alarm clock go off about the time my grandfather died?

The strangest story I've ever heard was told to me by a coworker. This man was extremely religious and after hearing this I knew why.
He told me that as a kid living out in the country, it was not unusual for family and friends to visit people on their death bed. One night some old man who had lived a rough life was lying on his bed knowing he was about to die. The old man simply stated 'the devil is coming for me tonight.' My coworker said a small, dark, cloud like mass entered the room and more or less hovered near the head board. Everyone in the room saw this figure. The old man soon died and the figure disappeared.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 11:43:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Me and two buddies rented a fishing cabin in Goodland Florida for a week to Snook fish.We went to a local pass with the boat at night with our livewell full of croakers for bait.As we are coming up in the channel me and my buddy tell the driver to watch out or he will hit the other guys boat or lines.He turns around and says what boat?We go to point the boat out and it is gone!Couldnt have been 50 ft away!Trihull with 4 guys lit up from the stern light.Nothing!Water where the boat was is 2-3 ft chop and everything else is smooth as glass!Our idiot friend drops anchor to SEE what it was and if IT comes back.I grabbed a gaff and my other buddie gets a fish billy.The air went cold and the anchor came up FAST!Goodland/Marco area in summer has no cold air just hot and sticky.We haul ass through the backcountry to our cabin and run down the dock with key ready.End of the dock a rattlesnake takes a swipe at my buddy!We were up all night waiting for something bad to happen.We asked locals if anything weird had happened before in the area.They just joked about young guys and left handed cigarettes.I was 17 and the other guys were 19 and 25 none of us did drugs and didnt drink running the backcountry at night.This was around 78-79.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 11:57:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Both times when a friend of mine died this happened. A front door we never used would blow open . As if someone was visiting. The door stayed locked and the handle would not turn .

Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:

About 10 years ago, my father died. He'd had a heart attack at home, followed by a stroke in the hospital. My brother had been notified that he was in bad shape, and was preparing to come home. He and his daughter were in the living room when the front door just opened by itself. This door wasn't normally prone do doing this and was closed firmly. His daughter said, "It's the house ghost!" Brother paused, then said, "No, it's Dad... coming to say goodbye." This was in the afternoon; Dad was declared about 0200 the next morning.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 12:58:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Had another one I forgot to add.Recently this changed my life for the better. A while back I was called out to a chest pain.Our response was downgraded to non emergent based on the call notes.I had a gut feeling this one was legit so we proceeded emergent. On arrival I saw a man clutching his chest in the driveway.I told my partner to get him on the cot as I started doing my exam. I could tell this was the one that dies in the back with you . I took my EKG and it wasnt good. He was having a massive heart attack. His wife was sitting in the back with me while enroute. I had my IV started and had given nitro and was calling report. I got a feeling at that moment and looked and saw VFIB on the EKG. Basically this guy was in the 60 sec period between dead and living. The wife read the look on my face and threw herself on top of him . I had to pry her off while I attached the paddles. Holding her in one arm I managed to reach the charge button and I just happened to look at the guys face, He was looking right at me . I mean peering through my soul. I managed to fire the defib and hold his wife off. I turned to her and asked her to sit the fuck down . I look back and the guy is breathing again. I will never forget what he said to me. "Thank you". I was taken back and after the shift I was bothered . I went back to the ICU and sat down with the guy and asked him how he could have known what happened. He stated that he was in a dark cold place and he saw me in the ambulance with his body. He said there were four people in the ambulance. I told him that couldnt be because it was just us and his wife. He said there was a man behind me holding my shoulder and helping me . I asked what he looked like but he said just bright and I was dark. I really cant say more than that because I dont know what more to think other than someone is helping me from above.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Bump & BTT
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 12:31:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blaculo] [#41]
My grandparents owned an old 1840's or so farm style home in Illinois.  Something inhabited the basement and back hallway of that house.  
The basement had a stairway that led down and short hallway that went off 90 degrees to the left.  There was a void under the stairs and enough room to get back there if you tried hard enough.  I never did.
The hallway opened up into a 20x15 room that housed a washer/dryer, chest freezer and various knick knacks.  To the right was another room about 10x15 with the furnace, my grandfathers workbench and tools.  There was a smaller closet with no door that was about 6x8 with old wooden shelves in it.  What I did not know until many years later was that there was also a sealed off void under what was their current front porch.
I say current, because at the time of the home's construction the front door faced the west.  By the time I was born, that door had been walled off on the inside, yet still visible from the outside and the new front door faced south with a 10x10 porch area.
As far back as I can remember there was a presence in the basement.  As a child you did not spend any more time down there than necessary.  something was always either right behind you or watching you from the next room in the basement.  They had a back hallway that led to the basement steps.  It too carried a similar feeling of dread.  The back hallway is the subject of this first tale.
We lived in the upper apartment of a two story building next door owned by my great uncle.  My bedroom had a window that overlooked my grandparents' sideyard and the entrance to that back hallway.  As a child of only three or four, I had extremely vivid recurring dreams about that hallway.  The main dream always began with me entering the hallway from either inside the house or the back door leading to it.  Everything inside was bathed in an ethereal light that shimmered around the periphery of my vision.  There was never any sound in the dream.  At some point, I would always notice Halloween costumes hanging on the wall.  They were child sized, on hangers.  It was always then that my focus would shift to one specific costume, it was the Devil.  I instinctively knew in those dreams that this Devil costume was mine and that there was a presence behind me.  An incalculable fear would creep over me, at which point I would wake up sometimes screaming.  This dream came to me at least 40-50 times in my youth, and it was always the same.
We moved to a new home around age six that was five miles away from my grandparents' home.  The dream never returned.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By ArmySurplus:

The strangest thing I've ever encountered was the night my grandfather died.

I had surgery scheduled very early one morning and my wife, girlfriend at the time, was going to take me to the hospital as my family was visiting a different hospital where my grandfather was at. I set the alarm clock, went to bed, and fell asleep. The alarm clock rings, I turn off the alarm, and proceed to get ready. I had told my girlfriend to call me before she left her house to make sure I was awake. The phone rings so I assume it's her. I answer the phone and my brother explains that my grandfather had died about 11:30, roughly 15 minutes ago. I asked him what he meant about 15 minutes ago? I thought it was about 5 in the morning. I looked down and the clock and realized what time it really was. Now my heart begins to pound very fast. My alarm had gone off about 6 hours too soon and I had turn the alarm completely off. Why did the alarm clock go off about the time my grandfather died?

The strangest story I've ever heard was told to me by a coworker. This man was extremely religious and after hearing this I knew why.

He told me that as a kid living out in the country, it was not unusual for family and friends to visit people on their death bed. One night some old man who had lived a rough life was lying on his bed knowing he was about to die. The old man simply stated 'the devil is coming for me tonight.' My coworker said a small, dark, cloud like mass entered the room and more or less hovered near the head board. Everyone in the room saw this figure. The old man soon died and the figure disappeared.

My family has a similar piece of lore regarding a relative on his death bed crying in fear of Hell.  They say that he was crying out that he could feel the flames licking at his skin, and supposedly it got hot while a light fog/smoke filled the room.  Thusly he went to his death, the story goes, screaming and yelling that the devil was about to take him.  

In a similar vein, a direct ancestor of mine claimed to have seen a devil one day, horns and all, while out on the water (he was a waterman).  It was then that he converted and became a member of the very same church that I attend today.
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By kozaki:

I would like to throw out a big thank-you to M1-Ed for his participation in this thread.  

Ed, you're a natural story-teller, and have obviously led a fascinating life; The Creepy seems to have followed you around, and I, for one, am glad you're willing to put your stories out here for all of us to enjoy.  

Thank you.
But I give the credit to my parents who grew up in the Ozarks in the 20's and 30's. I am trying to get my Mother to tell me some of the things she saw in the woods when she was young.
She started to tell me about an incident with a Bigfoot (she didn't say it was a Squatch/Bigfoot) type creature last week when I was watching "Finding Bigfoot". But would not go into any detail. She also had seen apparitions and other beings.
My Father related some stories to me too some of which I have posted here. But most I have forgotten about. Unfortunately he past away in 1990. So those are lost along with the stories of his career in the Service.
Here is an incident that happened in summer of 1974. Not scary as it is UFO related.
Our family was living in Vancouver, WA at the time with my parents family still living in the Ozarks of Southern Missouri. My Father had bought a big motor home and we took a trip that summer to visit everyone.
On the way back to home we decided to do some site seeing and drove through Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona then into Nevada. There was a Full Moon as we were Northbound on that old highway. You could look out the windows and still see the flat Desert landscape. My Father was driving as Mom and my younger brother Jim and I were watching for Deer or Antelope. When we notice a Bright Light 50 feet or so above the ground flying parallel to us about a 1/4 away.
The three of us sat there and watched this as it skimmed along. We couldn't we any noise it was making as the engine for the Motorhome was right next to us. It looked kind of pretty. Very sleek. Almost like the belly tank on a P-38. But it was about 3/4 the size as our Motorhome.
My Mom tried to get my Father to look at it but he was concentrating on the road. It bird dogged us for about 10 minutes than suddenly it just disappeared. Gone. No flash or pop. Just like it went behind a wall.
We talked about it for awhile and stayed up to watch for anyother Fly Saucers. But that was it for the trip.
Ed

Link Posted: 12/13/2012 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#44]
A Dead Person Story - Not Scary
I have seen people die and have seen a number of dead people. But I never saw this before.
On the morning of October 15, 2007 at 3:05 am. My Wife passed away from Leukemia. She was 55 at the time and I will admit that although she is the most beautiful Lady in the World to me, she did have some wrinkles.
But after she took her last breath all of her wrinkles disappeared.  And a light glow surrounded her head. A feeling came over me that my Wife was going to Heaven as an Angel.
I don't know how I knew this would come to pass. I just did.
As I waited for the funeral home, the ladies from Hospice arrived and help me take care of my Wife. As I watched, the Glow left my Wife but she still had the look as if she was in her 30's.
Later I talked to my older Brother Tom who had been with me, about this and what he had seen. He had noticed it too and thought he had just imaged it.
I am not a very religious guy. I do believe in God and the Devil. I do believe my Wife is in a good place.
ED

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#45]
keep it going
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyone have Xmas ghost stories?
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#47]

Chuck Dickens tells a great one.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By Eukatae:

Chuck Dickens tells a great one.

Unlike M1-Ed's stories, I really can't stand Dickens.  Wells, sure.  Jules Verne, ditto.  No Dickens.

Link Posted: 12/25/2012 9:46:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kaos] [#49]
I'm creeped out by the number of toolbars in the OP.

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#50]
I've wrote before about the sound of something walking around upstairs in my bedroom in my Mom's house.
So last week my Mom and I are watching The Wheel or Jeopardy and the Footsteps start up. My Mom looks at me and ask "Do you hear that?" I told her yeah I do.
She says she hears someone walking around up there every now and then and it's not when I'm home.
I told her I hear the same thing but usually at night after she has gone to bed.
I've also heard it while we have been sitting together. But have not said anything
Again this is a new house. And as far as I know there is not an Indian Burial Ground under it.
Ed

Page / 149
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top