Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2002 7:29:25 AM EDT
After Sept. 11th, the 'rally-round the flag' effect took hold of many 'fair-weather patriots.'  Folks bought American flags, flag bumper stickers, etc., in record numbers.  
  All round the Nation, partriotism was once again politically correct and popular.  It was 'cool' to proudly display the American flag.  
 In the past couple of months, folks have lost their sense of respect and reverence for this symbol of America.  I am utterly disgusted by the lack of respect for our flag and its proper display, and the way that people seem to be oblivious to this fact.    

1) Everyone who flies an American flag that is severely faded, ripped, tattered, etc.  I see this at several residences and businesses/schools---this makes me sick.

2) Everyone who has an American flag bumper sticker on their vehicle (this would include the flag that attaches to your side window) that is badly faded, stained, or peeling.  This also chaps my hide.  
 Anyone else bothered by this or what???
 What do you guys do in situations like this?

EDITED to say: "If you're gonna do it...have the decency to do it right."

[marines]

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:34:02 AM EDT
[#1]
have you been in a drive thru car wash?
if you look in the corners you will see a little pile of american flags and jack in the box "antena balls".  it's sad.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#2]
If what you say is true...

[USA]

Absolutely disgraceful
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
1) Everyone who flies an American flag that is severely faded, ripped, tattered, etc.  I see this at several residences and businesses/schools---this makes me sick.
View Quote

Don't be too quick to judge. Do you know the history of these faded flags? I'd rather fly a tattered, faded WWII flag than a brand-spanking new nylon flag made in China.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:54:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Don't be too quick to judge. Do you know the history of these faded flags? I'd rather fly a tattered, faded WWII flag than a brand-spanking new nylon flag made in China.
View Quote

Yeah, sure buddy, all those faded flags I see are of WWII vintage... are you also selling a bridge??? What about the faded/peeling bumper stickers---are those WWII vintage as well?

Ditto what you say about the Chinese-made flags...that always seemed like an abortion to me.  

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I've made a point to notice this wherever I go, and it made me sick. So, I decided to do something about it. Here's a copy of the latest letter I sent.
[i]
To whom it may concern:
During a recent passing-by of our Covington Middle School, I took special notice of the United States Flag flying high above the school. The fact that the flag was flying did not interest me, but rather its poor condition. I am appalled at the condition of the flag, and am even more shocked that it continues to fly in its tattered state. It is a disgrace to our community, a disgrace to our state, and a disgrace to our great country that a public institution knowingly flies the symbol of our national unity in such a depressing condition. What does this teach the children who see this flag every day as they enter school? That it is okay to disrespect the nation and the men who have died fighting for everything that our flag represents?
I do not believe that this is done intentionally; however, I do believe that it needs to be brought to the attention of the proper authority and the problem needs to be remedied. There is honor in flying the emblem of our undivided allegiance to the United States, but one must equally respect the etiquette needed to keep the flag honorable. I only ask that the current flag be immediately disposed of in a proper manner. I have enclosed $40.00 to go towards a new flag. Please get a new flag as soon as possible, fly it proudly, and fly it with honor.
Sincerely,

An Anonymous American
[/i]

kar98 - True some people have sentimental flags, but schools and such should have no such excuse. I can see why one would fly a torn WWII flag because of its meaning, but still, I don't think any tattered flag should be flown.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#6]
On second thought, a WWII or other historical relic should only be flown on National Hoildays- ie Veteran's Day, July 4th, etc.

To use such a flag as your 'daily flyer' you are 1) ruining a fine piece of American history, 2) being a cheap bastard by not buying a new one, 3) or both.

That is not to say that such a flag should not be displayed proudly---it should be protected from the elements and kept indoors.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#7]
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/695694/posts[/url]
City to Hoist Homosexual "Rainbow" Flag on Flag Day
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#8]
BTT, because there ain't no prettier sight than the American Flag.

[img]http://www.unison.ie/images_papers/news/41/5240/pictures/169566.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#9]
dis556, i totally agree with you!!!!
just last night, ms shoez' and i were talking about the same thing and i also used the phrase "fair weather patriots"
it makes me sick, the flag and all it stand for are being turned into a fashion symbol and being disgraced.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#10]

I've changed my flag in front of my house twice since 9-11.

It flys every day and every night (illuminated at night) except during a rare rain (this is Arizona).

On July 4 I'll change it again which will make it four flags in ten months.

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It flys every day and every night (illuminated at night) except during a rare rain (this is Arizona).
View Quote

Yah...that's another thing that really chaps me since the 11th:

I realize people want to display their patriotism and all, but there ARE rules to displaying the flag...you don't fly it at night unless it's well lit, and you don't fly it during inclement weather! I used to know all the rules about flying our flag (courtesy of the Boy Scouts [:)]), but I've since forgotten most of them...I do, however, know how to fold it. What are the odds Mr. and Mrs. Soccermom haven't the foggiest idea?

Edit - before you think I'm flaming you, it's directed no where NEAR you [:)] It's that you're doing the proper thing, that reminded me of how annoyed I get at everyone else...
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#12]
My girlfriend and I bought a flag & pole a month after we moved into the house we're in. We've been flying a flag 24/7/365 since July 1998. We're now on our, I think, 15th or 16th flag. We get rid of one as soon as it starts getting tattered. No, I do not light it at night, sorry. No, I have not burned ALL of the old ones. Yes, I feel regret when I have to take an old flag down to be replaced. I think we (the U.S.) have the coolest flag in the whole fucking world. I'm damn proud to be flying one since even before the "patriotism" of post 9/11.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#13]
My family has several flags that are never flown.

One, Off the Coffin of a Marine (GrandFather).
One, Off the Coffin of a Marine (other GrandFather)
One, Flown over the Whitehouse.
One, Off the Coffin of a Navy Man (Uncle)

Some flags my never fly , but they are never lowered at the same time.

We have one that flies during holidays, it is put out on Memorial Day and the Forth of July. It is raised in the Morning and lowered that evening.

Walmart can keep its plastic flags.

EDITED TO ADD:

AS SOMEONE ONCE SAID, "America is the only Nation on the face of the planet where people fly their flags , not because they have to, but because they WANT to."

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#14]
If your neighbors are guilty of this then you can 'educate' them on the proper way to treat Old Glory and if they are too lazy or cheap to take it down then mabe it is your duty to do so.They would probable feel real low if you replaced it with a new one.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#16]
On the way home from the BRC, I passed this one soccer mom with the remnants of a flag on her antennae and another one tattered just below it.  It really bugged me.  I don't get mad at the ignorant, but I did want to educate her on some flag etiquette.

I followed her for about 150 miles hoping she'd pull over to a rest area or gas station so I could inform her how messed up it was.

Thinking back... she was probably running on empty and had to pee really really bad but some psycho in a green truck kept following her...

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yah...that's another thing that really chaps me since the 11th:

I realize people want to display their patriotism and all, but there ARE rules to displaying the flag...you don't fly it at night unless it's well lit, and you don't fly it during inclement weather! I used to know all the rules about flying our flag (courtesy of the Boy Scouts [:)]), but I've since forgotten most of them...I do, however, know how to fold it. What are the odds Mr. and Mrs. Soccermom haven't the foggiest idea?
View Quote

I'd say pretty good considering the pansy JROTC kids at my old high school didn't know how to fold the flag, I believe my class 2001 was the last class to know how to fold the flag there, we were in our last week last year, and My buddy and I had to go out to the flagpole and kick some JROTC ass, they were folding the flag like a sheet or tablecloth, and not to mention with the Stars (union?) on the INSIDE!! Pissed me off..
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#18]
The West view Fire Dept here in Spartanburg has YET to illuminate the flag at night, after being informed of this requirement to fly it at night.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#19]
my flag has been up before, during, and after 9/11  it is in perfect condition.  i have always respected my flag and those who have died for which it stands.  FREEDOM!  as a 17yr old, i recognize the discrace which is shown by flags which are not cared for.  about 2 yrs ago i yelled at a mcdoalds/cheveron about it.  and 6 yrs ago i bought a new flag for the Houston Fire Dept. since their's was out of shape.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm glad I'm not the only one with some righteous outrage on this subject!

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

About 3 years ago, I noticed a business flying a faded and tattered flag.  I called them and told them that it need to be replaced or at least come down.  24 hours later, I went to their flag pole and took it down myself.  

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I forgot this: The rent-a-cop at the plant used to carry the flag draped over his shoulder after taking it down every day. I finally saw this, and got down out of the travelift and chewed his ass. He changed his ways right quick-like.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Flying it proud!

[img]http://pages.prodigy.net/labradorx3/public_html/Americanflag.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
After Sept. 11th, the 'rally-round the flag' effect took hold of many 'fair-weather patriots.'  Folks bought American flags, flag bumper stickers, etc., in record numbers.  
  All round the Nation, partriotism was once again politically correct and popular.  It was 'cool' to proudly display the American flag.  
 In the past couple of months, folks have lost their sense of respect and reverence for this symbol of America.  I am utterly disgusted by the lack of respect for our flag and its proper display, and the way that people seem to be oblivious to this fact.    

2) Everyone who has an American flag bumper sticker on their vehicle (this would include the flag that attaches to your side window) that is badly faded, stained, or peeling.  This also chaps my hide.  
 Anyone else bothered by this or what???

EDITED to say: "If you're gonna do it...have the decency to do it right."

[marines]

View Quote

You are EXACTLY RIGHT! It was COOL! Most of these folks you speak of are not patriots! They are posers. AB [pissed]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#25]

I'd say pretty good considering the pansy JROTC kids at my old high school didn't know how to fold the flag, I believe my class 2001 was the last class to know how to fold the flag there, we were in our last week last year, and My buddy and I had to go out to the flagpole and kick some JROTC ass, they were folding the flag like a sheet or tablecloth, and not to mention with the Stars (union?) on the INSIDE!! Pissed me off..
View Quote

Unfortunatly, it's a bitch to fold, if you're by yourself. It's not THAT hard, but making sure it never touches the ground can be tricky. That is, unless you're adept at folding it while you're facing the wrong way, with the stars over your shoulder :) Even then, that's cheating, though.

Which reminds me, I have to have some words with my father...he flies one in front of his office, but it's out in rain and at night...I'd guess mostly because after 5pm, there's no one around to take it down. Ah well, I'll talk to him about it when I seem him tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#26]
You think that's bad??? I about vomited all over my local Post Office yesterday!  I was there at 16:55 and there was a guy taking the flag down and then he BUNDLED IT UP IN A BALL and SET IT ON THE GROUND to secure the pole!!!  I told him that his actions were VERY disrespectful to our national symbol.  You know what he had the balls to say to me??  "Its ok, this is the way were are supposed to do it."  I am in the process of writing the local Post Master General, but every time I write something, it's WAY to harsh and I am afraid to send it for fear of repercussions!
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I stoped at a new home construction site today..  maybe 50 homes (some completed most not) in this subdivision. They had two flags , US and Texas. The Texas one was ripped to hell, the US flag was starting to look like a triangle !!  I was with my wife and kids and I decieded to go to their office to tell/ask/inform them how bad that looked.

Well after the 2 secs it took to make it clear I was not there to look at homes , I was hmm "polity" asked to leave.

will get the company name tommorw..
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#28]
8 months ago:

"But...but...all of those people flying the flag are patriots and they are going help restore the 2nd Amendment!

Anyone criticizing them must be supporting the terrorists!"

HAHAHAHA!
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 4:51:35 AM EDT
[#29]
I agree that the faded and torn flags are a discrace but the BIGGEST thing that has had me upset is the number of flags that I see sitting in the ditch, median, or the road where that have fallen off of peoples cars.

I would much prefer that people take their flags off their cars and find another way to display their support than to drive to work and see the seemingly countless flags that were either improperly mounted or they just came loose over time.  

This is my gripe!
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:08:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Another reason I thank my parents for getting me into the Boy Scouts....they damn sure taught proper respect and handling of the flag. I was doing flag folding properly when I was TEN, it's sad that some people can't when they're two or three times that...

It's actually why I have not even put a sticker or flag on my car. Most of my driving is highway, and the weather can get nasty, so I know the flag will be tarnished rather quickly. I wear a vest to work every day, and had a US flag stitched on it.......that's my show of patriotism, as well as my actions.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:13:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Yahoo search revealed the display rules for Old Glory:

[url]http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html[/url]
[url]http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/[/url]
[url]http://www.steve4u.com/flagcode.htm[/url]
]

And this company has an [b]e-mail list[/b] that sends a message out when the President has issued orders to [b]fly the flag at half-mast[/b].

[url]http://www.petersonflags.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.petersonflags.com/half_staff_info.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.petersonflags.com/flaginfo.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:46:45 AM EDT
[#32]
What really irked me was right after 9/11 seeing a car with not one, but two faded Ireland flag bumper stickers on the far left and right sides of the bumper, with a grand spanking new American flag sticker they had recently slapped on in the middle.  WTF is with these people?  You're a friggin American - stop trying to be so special.  

Nobody cares what country your great-grandmother/father came from - much less to see it on the back of your car.  If you're so proud of being of Italian, Irish, German, Polish, or whatever other desent that you'd display a flag of that country before an American flag, then why not just go the hell back there.    
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#33]
 I attend law school here in FL, and watched the puke rent-a-cop (supposedly an ex-airborne ranger) ball it up and take it into the security office.  
 At least they keep it off the ground!  Damnit does it boil my blood to see such disregard for the Flag that I (and millions of other men) have fought under.

I'm in the process of writing the Dean an email on this...this crap and nonsense will be put to a stop, damnit.  
 {BTW, my last email convinced him to put Veteran's Day back as a school holiday for next Novemeber.  Last year, it was NOT a school holiday, and myself and the other student vets raised holy hell...mission accomplished there. I'll keep you fellas posted on this new mission...
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#34]
[img]http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/HAVEYOUHUGGEDYOURFLAGTODAY.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Kar98

now that is just dis...
um,

she is COLD.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top