Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorrell Booke (Boss Hogg) and Pat Harrington (Dwayne Schneider) were both MI officers during the Korean War.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably fairly well known but James Arness was a WWII veteran.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/04/12/actors-who-served-in-military/
http://valdezlink.com/pages/actorheros-more.htm

Speaking of Hogan's Heroes, I could have sworn Richard Dawson was in the armed forces, but it was the Merchant Marines.

On another interesting note, Robert Clary, aka Corporal LeBeau, was the youngest of 14 children. At the age of twelve, he began a career singing professionally. In 1942, because he was Jewish, he was deported to the Nazi concentration camp, Ottmuth. He was later sent to Blechhammer, Gross Rosen, and finally Buchenwald where he was liberated on 11 April 1945. Twelve other members of his immediate family were sent to Auschwitz. Clary was the only survivor.  When he returned to Paris after the war, he was ecstatic when he found that some of his siblings had not been taken away and had survived the Nazi occupation of France.

I consider Merchant Marines of the WWII era heroes.  Helluva lot of those guys didn't come home.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/04/12/actors-who-served-in-military/

http://valdezlink.com/pages/actorheros-more.htm

Speaking of Hogan's Heroes, I could have sworn Richard Dawson was in the armed forces, but it was the Merchant Marines.

On another interesting note, Robert Clary, aka Corporal LeBeau, was the youngest of 14 children. At the age of twelve, he began a career singing professionally. In 1942, because he was Jewish, he was deported to the Nazi concentration camp, Ottmuth. He was later sent to Blechhammer, Gross Rosen, and finally Buchenwald where he was liberated on 11 April 1945. Twelve other members of his immediate family were sent to Auschwitz. Clary was the only survivor.  When he returned to Paris after the war, he was ecstatic when he found that some of his siblings had not been taken away and had survived the Nazi occupation of France.

I consider Merchant Marines of the WWII era heroes.  Helluva lot of those guys didn't come home.
+1  THEY were what the U-boats hunted...

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#5]
David Robinson––––-NBA player was an officer on submarines

Johnny Cash––––USAF

Axl Rose was a tanker
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Johnny Cash––––USAF

Axl Rose was a tanker

don't think robinson was on subs.
he left the navy in two years, he wouldn't have finished schooling in time.
he was aboard a sub once while a middie, I think.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I consider Merchant Marines of the WWII era heroes.

Amen to that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Johnny Cash––––USAF

Axl Rose was a tanker

So says wikipedia ––––––He was a civil engineering officer at Kings Bay Submarine Base.    I was confused.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Keni Thomas, Country music singer, was a Ranger in Somalia.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Peter Boyle was a Navy Ensign for a short time.

Archie Campbell (of Hee Haw fame) served in the Navy during WWII.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Buddy Ebsen as "Jed Clampett"

During WWII He served as damage control officer and later as executive officer on the Coast Guard-manned Navy frigate USS Pocatello, which recorded weather at its “weather station” 1,500 miles west of Seattle. These patrols consisted of 30 days at sea, followed by 10 days in port at Seattle. He was honorably discharged as a lieutenant in 1946
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#12]
There's an NBA player in the Army right now. He played for the Miami Heat.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/03/ap-army-miami-heat-to-honor-former-player-turned-soldier-tim-james-031811/

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Axl Rose was a tanker!!! Yes In Friedburg Germany. I was stationed their at the same time, Can't say I knew him, but he and his buddies Jammed out in the Barracks,, all the time,,, pretty good,, too!

The Mid 80's in Germany,,, Busy,, but good memories!
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#14]

This guy is the singer for some band...
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Clark Gable and Jimmy Stewart were both pilots in WW II. Clark Gable, I believe, had to literally "run away" from his studio "handlers" to enlist.

There were also a couple of actresses who died in the Pacific on USO tours. Plane crashes, I think.

Frank Sinatra, on the other hand was "deferred" (exempted) because he "couldn't hear". One of the many reasons I've always thought he was a scumbag.  

What about Marion Morrison?

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Alan Alda. USAR ?-?. Korean War.

He made a TV series about the Korean War, but I don't think he was old enough to have served during it.  Born in 1936, he would have been 14 when it started.

He did serve in the USAR, apparently later in the '50s.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 7:01:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Johnny Cash––––USAF

Axl Rose was a tanker

Wouldn't his height DQ him for subs?

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Someone had a barracks Band at Ray Barracks, in the mid 80's that rocked!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This one surprised me when I found out about him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Riggle

Riggle was a qualified pilot but left flight school because he wanted to serve his time on the ground because he decided to be a comedian. He's still in the USMC Reserves, and helped dig out rubble right after 9/11. Interesting guy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Forgive me if this is a repeat because it's late and I don't have time to read the whole thread, but Bill Wyman of The Rolling Stones served in the Royal Air Force.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 2:14:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 2:37:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Clark Gable and Jimmy Stewart were both pilots in WW II. Clark Gable, I believe, had to literally "run away" from his studio "handlers" to enlist.

There were also a couple of actresses who died in the Pacific on USO tours. Plane crashes, I think.

Frank Sinatra, on the other hand was "deferred" (exempted) because he "couldn't hear". One of the many reasons I've always thought he was a scumbag.  

What about Marion Morrison?

Oh, don't even go there.  That's just looking to get someone's dander up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 3:45:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

He puts on a good live show. 82nd_ABN says he's a good dude IRL.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 4:17:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Mjk-usma.jpg

This guy is the singer for some band...

Maynard from Tool?
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Bob Newhart served stateside in the Army during Korea, he was drafted IIRC.

Dick Van Dyke served stateside in the Army during WW II.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Drew Carey is a former US Marine.

Explains the hair... and the drinking.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2011 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Ray Manzarek from The Doors enlisted in the Army in 1961 and served in Okinawa and Thailand.

Jerry Garcia from the Grateful Dead enlisted in the Army in 1960 but was eventually given a general discharge.

Ice-T spent 4 years in the Army's 25th ID.

John Fogerty was in the Army Reserves.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The King...Elvis Presley...could have spent his 2 year draft service stint touring with the USO, but refused saying he wanted to serve his 2 years as a regular soldier donating his pay to charity, buying TV sets for the whole base in Germany and buying extra fatigues for those in his platoon.

I served in 3rd Armor Division in the 1980's. The 3rd AD Museum in Frankfurt, W. Germany had an entire room dedicated to Elvis. Funniest thing in the room was a sign stating "By day Elvis drove a Jeep. By night he drove a Mercedes" - yeah, so did just about everybody else. Even taxis in Germany were Mercedes, they were everyday cars over there. Polizei drove Fords...that made me laugh, too.

I PCS'd to Ft. Chaffee, Arkansas. I was still being haunted by the Ghost of Elvis...the famous photo of Elvis getting his head shaved when he entered the Army was taken 3 buildings away from my barracks, it's now a "Barbershop Museum" with the actual chair he was sitting in. The chow hall had a GIANT mural of Elvis too......the base had been closed for over 30 years until my unit moved there...but the darn mural survived.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Mel Brooks––Combat Engineer corporal during the Battle of the Bulge.
Julia Child––OSS in China and Ceylon
Chuck Norris––USAF security forces in Osan.  ETA:  Yes, THE Chuck Norris chose the USAF over all the other services.
Sinbad (comedian)––USAF for three weeks.  Administrative discharge from boot camp for "inability to adapt to the military environment."  

As for the Marine label, ex-Marines are dishonored and disowned.  Former/veteran Marines served with distinction.

Bullshit......knew a guy that served with him
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Most people know Ronald Reagan made propaganda movies in the Army during WWII, but few people know he actually started his Army career as a Cavalry officer in 1937. His Reserve unit was activated shortly after Pearl Harbor, but Reagan's eyesight was so poor he couldn't deploy. He was already involved in making films for the military so they decided to continue using him to make movies and to help maintain their relationship with Hollywood studios.

Reagan's decision to enter politics, namely in becoming President of the Screen Actors Guild, was driven by his belief communists were trying to take over Hollywood. He wanted them out and took it on as his personal responsibility to make it happen.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mel Brooks––Combat Engineer corporal during the Battle of the Bulge.
Julia Child––OSS in China and Ceylon
Chuck Norris––USAF security forces in Osan.  ETA:  Yes, THE Chuck Norris chose the USAF over all the other services.
Sinbad (comedian)––USAF for three weeks.  Administrative discharge from boot camp for "inability to adapt to the military environment."  

As for the Marine label, ex-Marines are dishonored and disowned.  Former/veteran Marines served with distinction.

Bullshit......knew a guy that served with him

You're right.  Went off memory and should have looked it up.  KC-135 boom operator.  Dishonorable after going AWOL.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Let's not forget Oliver Stone.....libtard moron.

Bronze Star and Purple Heart in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Our Gang child actors
Ernest Fredric "Ernie" Morrison played Sunshine Sammy Army WWII
Allen Hoskins played Farina WWII
Bobby Hutchins played Wheezer Army WWII
Jackie Cooper WWII
Donald Haines played Toughey Army WWII KIA
Jerry Tucker played Percy Navy WWII Korea
George McFarland played Spanky USAF
Tommy Bond played Butch Navy WWII
Billie Thomas played Buckwheat Army
Darwood Kaye played Waldo Army
Robert Blake played Mickey Army
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drew Carey is a former US Marine.

You are never a "former" Marine.

What the hell, we can't call them former Marines any longer?

If you have ever been a professional soldier of one kind or another, you will understand what I mean when I say that you can take the uniform off and put it in the closet, and you can return to civilian life and work in the private sector, but the warrior ethic - who you once were - you can't "take that off", because it is a part of you forever.

The Marines have a saying that sums that up: "Once a Marine, always a Marine."

You can say someone "served as a Marine" or "was a Marine" to indicate past-tense, sure, but to me, saying "former Marine" kind of misses that whole concept I outlined above.

YMMV.

What raises my is when I meet people and they say: "I'm an ex-Marine."

More often than not I find out they never served.

People take that "once a Marine, always a Marine" saying too far, it actually gets pretty annoying in my opinion, I'm tired of being reminded about it, it's not like I've forgotten.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Hey.....that's the guy who attacked Cheney for his Vietnam war deferments, neglecting to mention he only joined the Navy after all his own deferments were denied.

That's the guy who got turned down for a Purple Heart for a wound treated with Bacitracin and a Band-Aid....so waited for the medic and his commander to rotate out of the unit and reapplied for it.

That's the guy who lied about his time-in-service to get an "early out" of the Navy.

That's the guy who, as a commissioned officer in the US Navy, marched on Washington DC wearing the stereotypical hodge podge of military items barely recognizable as a uniform so common among Vietnam war veterans, and threw his medals to the ground. He was a commissioned officer until 1980.....not what I'd consider acceptable officer behavior.

That's the guy who, as a commissioned officer in the US Navy, attended meetings of the VVAW where they discussed assassinating American Congressmen. Surely a commissioned officer would report such activity, wouldn't he? Apparently not.

That's the guy who, as a commissioned officer in the US Navy, flew to France twice after he returned from Vietnam to meet with representatives of the communist North Vietnamese government.

That's the guy who, as a commissioned officer in the US Navy and newly elected member of Congress, violated US Navy regulations and State Dept. Policy by flying to Honduras to meet with communist rebels without notifying anybody in the Navy, State Dept, or Congress.

That's the guy who had his Congressional staff shred thousands of documents pertaining to American POW's in Vietnam while in the midst of trying to reopen US trade with Vietnam, prompting an extremely embarrassing "uprising" against a Congressman by his own staff when they refused to shred any more documents, hid documents to prevent their disposal, and went public with his efforts to cover up possible surviving POW's to influence public opinion and reopen trade.

That's the guy who never realized the FBI has an extremely think file on him available to the public under the Freedom of Information Act.

Not really someone I'd brag about concerning their "service" to the country.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

It's amazing to us now, but Hollywood was once very patriotic and was filled with ex military and military supporters.  

Once upon a time, Hollywood loved America.  

Life is a circle, Hollyweird won't stay weird forever, I think they're going to be infiltrated and eventually taken back over.

End of the draft, end of the citizen soldier.

Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Chad Hennings, defensive tackle for the Dallas Cowboys was an A-10 pilot in 1990 an an Airforce Academy grad.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#42]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_Berg

I think Moe berg should be mentioned in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Our Gang child actors
Ernest Fredric "Ernie" Morrison played Sunshine Sammy Army WWII
Allen Hoskins played Farina WWII
Bobby Hutchins played Wheezer Army WWII
Jackie Cooper WWII
Donald Haines played Toughey Army WWII KIA
Jerry Tucker played Percy Navy WWII Korea
George McFarland played Spanky USAF
Tommy Bond played Butch Navy WWII
Billie Thomas played Buckwheat Army
Darwood Kaye played Waldo Army
Robert Blake played Mickey Army

Interesting:

The circumstances and place of Toughey's death have never been released by the Army. He was a 1LT.
Wheezer was killed in a mid-air collision a week before he was supposed to graduate flight school in the Army Air Corps in 1945. He'd already served 2 years in the Army before becoming a flight student.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Nate Dogg, USMC
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He puts on a good live show. 82nd_ABN says he's a good dude IRL.

Didn't know he was a country singer. I remember seeing him on the excellent Frontline documentary. Dude has an impressive military schooling background as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 8:48:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Holy crap, that is pretty much a who's who of baseball from 1900 to 1970.

I met Warren Spahn at Ft. Bragg when I was stationed there, he was at the PX signing autographs. He took the time to speak to each guy that he signed for, and thanked every one of us for his service. Of course I knew he had been a Pitcher, and a damned good one, but I had no clue he was a veteran, and he never mentioned it.

He may have been the biggest jackass around, but on that occasion he was the definition of class and respect. It was hot that day, there was no shade anywhere, and he kept going, never got in a hurry, never shuffled anybody off. He shook a lot of hands, signed a lot of pictures, and kept a smile all the way through it. No, he didn't charge any of us a penny for the picture of signature.

Well, it is a list of players from the Hall of Fame.
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#48]
You guys do realize that we had a draft system until something like 1974, right?
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Johnny Cash––––USAF

Axl Rose was a tanker

So says wikipedia ––––––He was a civil engineering officer at Kings Bay Submarine Base.    I was confused.
He was drafted by the Spurs for a huge signing bonus the Navy agreed to release him to the reseves after 2 years active duty ( so much for the 6 year obligation after the USNA ). The Spurs flew him back and forth form GA to TX for workouts, I am sure someone up high in the Navy got taken care of

Link Posted: 8/27/2011 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Country music star George Strait.  US Army 71-75.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top